Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
Kugel
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
19 April 2008 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I went through an English vocabulary book that categorizes 50 keywords with each word having an average of 3 synonyms or antonyms into 10 levels. Because I wanted to retain these words after having learned them, I memorized each word and collated them into my memory palace. This lead me to think that it would be great if I could use these 500 words, which are ingrained in my mind, as a template for acquiring foreign language words, thus being able to run through this list without much work. In level 8 I have the first 10 words:

1. Alacrity
2. Obviate
3. Emolument
4. Intransigent
5. Mordant
6. Sagacious
7. Acerbic
8. Variegated
9. Succor
10. Importune

Every word, besides 'variegated', is of Latin origin, so if my foreign language of study was Latin, this word list wouldn't be that beneficial. Would speakers of other modern European languages find these words just as difficult as English speakers? Would an accomplished polyglot be expected to know these kinds of words in all the languages he or she studied? Or is this method poor because each language shouldn't be simply a code in English?

Comments?   

1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6173 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 2 of 7
19 April 2008 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I certainly wouldn't use this sort of wordlist...

These words are in your top 500 words to learn in any new language that you're learning? You'll be learning your 2 or 3 languages for ever.

I suspect that only a tiny percentage of the English speaking population knows what 'alacrity' means for example.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 3 of 7
19 April 2008 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
I certainly wouldn't use this sort of wordlist...

These words are in your top 500 words to learn in any new language that you're learning? You'll be learning your 2 or 3 languages for ever.

I suspect that only a tiny percentage of the English speaking population knows what 'alacrity' means for example.

I remember reading that after doing level 6 you'll be at about the same level of difficulty for words that are expected to be known among the students majoring in English. The author of this book only felt that after completing level 10 you would've known words that the top five percent would feel comfortable with. I have no idea if these figures are simply made up by the author. I don't take these measurements very seriously.       

The book I'm talking about is Charles Elster's Verbal Advantage, if it makes any difference.

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5906 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 7
20 April 2008 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I have the same book... I love it. I got it back in high school and these words always came in handy for my essays later on.

An educated French speaker would be able to inaccurately guess the meanings of seven out of these ten aforementioned words. It would be a tad more difficult for an Italian or Spanish speaker. A Romanian speaker would be nearly lost.

The author has a very strong preference towards Norman-Latinate vocabulary. He ignores Greek-derived, Anglo-Saxon and entirely foreign words. But nevertheless, it is a great book with very good examples.

Remember that many fancy words in English are merely simple terms in other Romance languages - dénouement, naïveté, éfficace, ambiance, sagace, and érudit come to mind.

Although if you want a systematic way of maximising your efficiency in foreign languages, I suggest you take a look at the Swadesh list, or, if you are very etymologically- and phonologically-inclined, try to learn new vocabulary through observing and studying sound and semantic changes amongst a group of related languages.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5909 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 5 of 7
20 April 2008 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Makrasiroutioun wrote:
An educated French speaker would be able to inaccurately guess the meanings of seven out of these ten aforementioned words. It would be a tad more difficult for an Italian or Spanish speaker. A Romanian speaker would be nearly lost.

Nine of those ten words are in quite "common" use in Italy, succor being the exception (what does it mean?) and most people should understand if not use them.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6568 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 7
20 April 2008 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
"Variegated", of course, comes from Latin as well.

Not all these words (like alacrity) necessarily even have close matches in non-Romance languages.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 7 of 7
20 April 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
So I guess this pursuit wouldn't be very fruitful, at least in the fancy words. I had a look at the Swadesh template, and it lead me to wonder how he arrived at those 207 words.    

Would using the Basic English template be worthwhile for polyglots just starting out on a new language?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version