Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4828 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 17 of 26
30 July 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Unlimited money ? Not one penny from me to the well known fakers so often advertised for free in too many logs here.

I would pay a few teams of people to help me to collect, create and work on media. Building a dubling industry ; one for transcripting ; one for audio production (audio books or stories telling) and one building some kind of audio dictionaries ; audio flash cards and podcast tv series and movies into scene by scene audio episodes.

I would get satellite tv (I know this is not that expensive but I don't have it yet).

I would pick a residence in paradise, probably Switzerland because I don't like tropics and some swiss lakes are like quite sea, making Switzerland the perfect combinaison of sea and mountains. Maybe something more isolated.

I would live with a few very beautifull, smart, kind and monolingual ladies of various origins. I could add a few languages to my current list. Well they don't have to be monolingual.

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 18 of 26
31 July 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
In the perfect world, where money and time are no object? Here's my 8-hour day, with
absolutely no jargon:

60 minutes at home: self-study - vocabulary practice, text at an appropriate level,
time with native materials (music, TV, etc)

30 minutes: walk to "school" in perfect weather, while listening to a podcast

120 minutes: 2 hours one-on-one study with a high-quality language teacher (learning
grammar and vocabulary in context)

60 minutes: lunch with a native speaker (informal social chatting)

120 minutes: 2 hours one-on-one with a different high-quality language teacher, doing
things in the world (grocery shopping, watching a movie, going for a hike, basically a
new "field trip" every day)

30 minutes: walk back home (again, in perfect weather), listening to an audiobook

60 minutes: self-study at home - homework based on the morning's classes, write in
personal learning log in target language, time with native materials (music, TV, etc)

And then, later in the evening, 30 minutes of reading for pleasure.

Because I'm an experienced language teacher and I know myself well as a learner, I
would want to take the lead with my language teacher - so it would have to be someone
very flexible who isn't stuck on one particular approach.

That would be my dream day - both as a student and as a teacher.

Edited by Stelle on 31 July 2013 at 12:36am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 19 of 26
04 August 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
In the perfect world, where money and time are no object? Here's my 8-hour day, with
absolutely no jargon:

60 minutes at home: self-study - vocabulary practice, text at an appropriate level,
time with native materials (music, TV, etc)

30 minutes: walk to "school" in perfect weather, while listening to a podcast

120 minutes: 2 hours one-on-one study with a high-quality language teacher (learning
grammar and vocabulary in context)

60 minutes: lunch with a native speaker (informal social chatting)

120 minutes: 2 hours one-on-one with a different high-quality language teacher, doing
things in the world (grocery shopping, watching a movie, going for a hike, basically a
new "field trip" every day)

30 minutes: walk back home (again, in perfect weather), listening to an audiobook

60 minutes: self-study at home - homework based on the morning's classes, write in
personal learning log in target language, time with native materials (music, TV, etc)

And then, later in the evening, 30 minutes of reading for pleasure.

Because I'm an experienced language teacher and I know myself well as a learner, I
would want to take the lead with my language teacher - so it would have to be someone
very flexible who isn't stuck on one particular approach.

That would be my dream day - both as a student and as a teacher.

Awesome plan - I like how you think. Within this, what kind of things, if any, would you do to develop a good
accent? I tend to need quite a bit of repetition early on.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 20 of 26
04 August 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
If time/money wasn't an issue, i would love to jump in intensively (and i mean INTENSIVELY, just for the challenge of
it) and start studying with a private tutor who would follow me around all day and teach me the ins and outs of the
language. Like that guy did with icelandic! I think that I would benefit enormously from it. One day...
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 22 of 26
05 August 2013 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
lingoleng wrote:

Quote:
Making clickable links seems impossible here. What a board!
I agree with the latter, of course, but have you tried to click on the fourth
button, above, when you write a post, after bold, italic, underlined? It means "Add
Code
(URL)" and works well for me.

I discovered the reason. It's Chrome. When I use Firefox the links are clickable.

You can do it in Chrome by typing in the BB code markup for links, but if it's a long
URL, I find I have to stretch out the edit box (see bottom right-hand corner of the
inner
edit box), so it all goes on one line, or else it all gets mangled, and is unusable as
a
link.

Edited by montmorency on 05 August 2013 at 12:51am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 23 of 26
15 August 2013 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

Awesome plan - I like how you think. Within this, what kind of things, if any, would you
do to develop a good
accent? I tend to need quite a bit of repetition early on.

Sorry! I missed this question! Hmmm...I guess the accent would be something that I'd work
on with my tutor. I don't know...accents are tricky. Lots of input, lots of output with
gentle corrections.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 24 of 26
15 August 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Wing it. No plans I have ever made have come
to fruition the way I planned them. The only
plan I follow is my reason, gut instinct and
emotions (if they don't confuse me first).
What works is good enough. Could it be better?
Yeah but don't dedicate your life to self-
analysis.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version