Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 9 of 26
29 July 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
vogue wrote:
... and I have never read a log (except EMKs). However, I personally don't
have the time to read everyone's logs to learn their methodology - and work, and
exercise, and go out, and work on several languages. If you do, that's excellent. None
of this means I'm not interested in comparing notes.

Logs aside, have you tried the search function here (yes, it sort of sucks for free
members, but you'll still get results)? There's a lot of hits for "learning plan". It's
discussed here quite often.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 11 of 26
29 July 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
lingoleng, the Right Links
I stumbled upon the thread and thought you would write something about how YOU learn
languages, you study a lot of them, it'd be interesting to know how you do it.
Thanks again for all your links, they were not wasted.

You were and are welcome. De nada.

I have often tried to give specific advice, which might suit a specific person who asked a question. This is something I miss here, in general, some people never try to adapt their advice. E.g. one can see that a person who has no linguistic background is told that something is a problem of allophones. People with little education are given the advice to do "some" LR, and so on.
What I do is probably most useful for someone who is like me, including a long and thorough education regarding languages. A complete beginner who knows nothing about language, i.e. the typical anglophone first-time-poster, won't find useful what I do, and I don't expect so many experienced polyglots to look for basic advice about language learning. So maybe I have nothing interesting to say, in any case. Except what I already have said x times, that learning happens in your head, not by a method or formula. Nobody wants to hear that, that's for sure ... :-)   :-(

But on the other hand, I might start my log tomorrow, one never knows. Maybe it gets some readers even without a picture where I look both intelligent and handsome. Not that I don't have such pictures, they do exist, of course, they must, wait a moment, just a moment, there must be some ...

Quote:
Making clickable links seems impossible here. What a board!
I agree with the latter, of course, but have you tried to click on the fourth button, above, when you write a post, after bold, italic, underlined? It means "Add Code (URL)" and works well for me.

Edited by lingoleng on 29 July 2013 at 7:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3984 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 12 of 26
29 July 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Money no object? That's obvious. A professional teacher giving you one-on-one lessons every day, while you live in the country and do a job where you're forced to interact with native speakers on a daily basis.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4065 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 13 of 26
29 July 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Lack of logs is another reason for this thread, I myself am not so good at updating my log, and I know not all
members ever want a
log.

erenko wrote:
lingoleng, the Right Links

I stumbled upon the thread and thought you would write something about how YOU learn
languages, you study a lot of them, it'd be interesting to know how you do it.
Thanks again for all your links, they were not wasted.

Of course, I'll write my two cents. THough there are polyglots who are miles more accomplished than me, with
established plans of
what works for them (which I don't have yet), and I'd really like to pick their brains. Every language I've studied,
has been different
due to different resources, periods in my life, etc. I would say in the past none of what I've done would be my
"ideal" method for the
future, but I will also mention what I hope to do for my next language. I've spent a lot of time flopping around
unsure what resources
to use.

Italian so far has been my most successful self-study language. This could be because of my Spanish
background, or it's just a
generally easier language. My log sort of outlines how I began to tackle it. I started with Pimsleur, began reading
books, did Michel
Thomas, lyrics training, made a MASSIVE anki deck, listened to music, watched TV and movies, and practiced,
practiced, practiced.
During the early stages it was an AJATT type of approach.

For my next language (For the six week challenge) here's what I'd like to do. Obviously this schedule is
condensed for six weeks and I
won't be working or at school for three of those six weeks so I have a lot of time:
Pimsleur - I might not finish all 3 levels, I'll work until I feel I've 'outgrown' these. I think they're a wonderful
introduction. Two
lessons a day. One in the morning and one at night.
Assimil - In the past I've half-heartedly tried it, but I want to give it a real shot now. One-two lessons a day in my
TL.
Michel Thomas - I used this for Italian, and honestly don't know how I'll ever go without it again. It's a brilliant
"cheat sheet" to
grammar. How quick I move through this will depend on the language (French or German) I'm sure. Though I
knocked out Italian in 2
weekends.
Media - Tv, movies, books.
Live talk - perhaps on verbling.
Anki - LOTS AND LOTS of anki.
Memrise - I've found this fairly effective, so I'll probably use this a bit as well.

Of course this is without a teacher, without tutoring, self study. But if it were reasonable a private
teacher/immersion school does
seem best.

Edited by vogue on 29 July 2013 at 8:41pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 26
30 July 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
1. gain good listening skills by watching football (soccer) and doing LR
2. watch something like Destinos or French in action
3. read a few books that use Ilya Frank's method. start using GLOSS or similar (nothing similar, actually :S).
4. use a resource for football fans similar to eurolang2012.com, do shadowing, learn some tongue twisters if the pronunciation is difficult (*cough* Polish *cough*)
5. go to the TL country
6. LR something more difficult, ideally with an epic recording like Narrenturm
7. read a few books, including something that involves the cultures I'm familiar with (Russian and Finnish)
8. go to TL country again
9. i don't know where to include twitter, but at this point I'm able to tweet. I'm not learning to write from scratch, I'm going from tweets to longer texts. I'm at this point right now with the languages I've been learning naturally.
10. start playing Criminal Case (there's also Hidden Shadows that I'm gonna play in Danish or Swedish one day)
11. Make my own exercises
12. simply write a lot, sometimes on lang-8, mostly not. continue reading a lot

starting from step 3, many beautiful/cool sentences (but never my own) are added to Anki, preferably with gaps. take a break and reschedule if needed.

Edited by Serpent on 04 August 2013 at 4:30am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 15 of 26
30 July 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Learning a "rich" language (in terms of resources, i.e. Norwegian):

A) Do 1 (or more) basic textbook that will give me some grammar insight as well as warm
up the vocabulary (that is, TY, Colloquial, Hugo's)
B) Do an Assimil to start throwing lots of vocabulary, even if I will end up missing
most of it
C) Meanwhile, start some borrowed SRS, Anki deck for example
D) Go back to a beginner's textbook and check how easy the first chapters are. If so,
then A again before E (I seem to be at this infinite loop at Mandarin :P)
E) Pick an upper-intermediate level textbook
F) Pick a monolingual textbook
G) Meanwhile, start reading a novel with a translation in a SL I know
H) Monitor progress in F) and G). When done with F), go for news reading
I) Get ready for a TV series I like, with subtitles

Learning a "poor" language (i.e.Georgian)

A) Do the easiest textbook to get familiarized
B) Try to get the most out of grammar books
C) Do as many textbooks as available, alternating with grammar
D) Try to find monolingual lessons even if you can't get it all from them
E) Appeal to universal resources such as JW's site for text with translations. Try to
avoid burnout if the language is too different from my background.
F) Start parallel reading with a translation)
G) Warm-up for some Youtube videos and news items
H) When the textbooks/lessons are over, keep doing native materials (with translations
when necessary and possible) and review grammar now and then
3 persons have voted this message useful

ribas
Pentaglot
Brazil
blogmarceloribas.blo
Joined 5671 days ago

37 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French, German
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 16 of 26
30 July 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
My humble advice:

1) some pimsleur (first level) to learn basic pronounciation.
2) assimil
3) listening to radio in target language as much as you can (news radio)
4) read a book in the target language with the help of a translation
5) keep reading and listening to radio, add audiobooks

I believe the most scarce resource for a language learner is TIME, not money. With many methods available
for free or at low cost, it is a matter of dedicating time to learning.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version