Diglot
Canada
Joined 4473 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 20
19 August 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Out of curiosity, I was wondering how people used spaced repetition program. So, do you enter easy words such as cognates, for example?

I do, most of the time. For example, I might recognize the word "organisieren", but I still enter it into Anki. My logic is that I may recognize it, but by the time I'll want to use it, I probably won't remember that it also exists in the German language.

I might also do it because I want to retain the gender and the plural form, so I systematically search for new words in the dictionary. The same can be said of irregular conjugations. It might also help in avoiding the issue of false friends.

I have also debated in the past whether to enter the verb form as well as the noun and adjective when they are so close, but again, I chose to enter them because it reinforces my memory. I don't do them all at once though, only when I encounter them.

So far I have not regretted my choices, but I can imagine how one could see it as a waste of time. I'm sure there is no right or wrong method, it's everyone's choice to make, but I still wanted to know.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 20
19 August 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I've basically entered "everything" since I've been a beginner in my languages (at that stage, no word is easy, although one is likely to know for instance pronouns, greetings, maybe numbers...).

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4344 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 20
19 August 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
I put in everything I thought I needed to remember. I even created separate cards for each letter, which was actually more helpful than it might seem since German pronounces letters differently from English.

For nouns I would create one card which had both singular and plural forms, plus gender. Rote learning the gender of lots of nouns early on is helpful later.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4160 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 20
19 August 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Personally, I study with pre-made decks, and only L3->L2 (target language to English). Whenever
I encounter a word I can guess both the reading and the meaning of, I check whether my guess
was correct, and if it was, I suspend the card. Japanese doesn't really have genders, so it's easier
to learn nouns, however there are adjectives and verbs that may be hard to guess whether they
are transitive or not, whether they conjugate as ru, or u- verbs, or if they need a "na", or "no" to
modify a noun. And I just plan to learn (acquire?) this by reading.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 5 of 20
19 August 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I put words that are new to me. Cognates might be easy as passive vocabulary, but they're not necessarily easy as
active vocabulary. I always practice English > target language, since my goal with anki is to improve my active
vocabulary.

I really should suspend cards that are much too easy for me at this point (numbers, for instance) - but for some
reason, I don't!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 20
19 August 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
So called "easy" words are sometimes not so easy once they have been declined, conjugated or used in unfamilar ways.
So I add everything, and also add phrases that illustrate irregular and unusual forms of the word (where these forms are in common use). I skip the rare forms until later, but the original basic entry is still there for me to add stuff. My cards are always being refined and updated.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 20
19 August 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
I rarely bother to put "transparent" or semi-transparent cognates in Anki. What I find is that if I do enough reading, I learn them without ever even realizing it. I can even spell them correctly and give fairly nuanced examples of how they're used.

But at least for me, Anki vocabulary decks are sheer torture once I reach a thousand words, because of all the words with similar meanings and the interference. I get the most benefit from sentence cards (with cloze deletion for prepositions or individual words in fixed phrases).

In fact, between reading and sentence cards, my vocabulary is almost too big to speak comfortably—I often hesitate to remember a nice idiomatic expression that I've seen before, when I should probably plow through with a circumlocution. The big drawback with this approach is that sentence cards take too long to create unless I use copy-and-paste.

I generally reserve Anki for vocabulary which I know I've seen several times, but which I still don't understand. I'd say I get 80% of my vocab via extensive activities, and 20% via Anki. Of course, French is a very transparent language for English speakers once you get past a certain point, which certainly biases my experiences!

Edited by emk on 19 August 2013 at 3:12pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4243 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 8 of 20
19 August 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
I generally reserve Anki for vocabulary which I know I've seen several times, but which I
still don't understand. I'd say I get 80% of my vocab via extensive activities, and 20% via Anki. Of course,
French is a very transparent language for English speakers once you get past a certain point, which
certainly biases my experiences!

I certainly wonder, with some abstract sense of guilt, whether I really ought to use Anki for languages
transparent with English (French, German, to some extent Spanish, especially considering my knowledge
of French).

I never used flash cards in the past to learn French and Spanish (in high school) but during university, I
did use flash cards for German a little bit. I depend on flash cards for my other languages, though,
except, past a certain point it does seem more tedious than helpful although I think through my
experiences with German I know that no matter how comfortable I am in a language, flash cards are
rather helpful.

For instance, I haven't used flash cards for Russian yet because I learned all my Russian through Assimil
and now I want to move on to a bilingual reader, underlining new words in pencil. Especially as it
concerns Russian, stress is hard to guess at first, although now it's more natural for me to place the
stress on words without accents, I did look extensively for Russian flash cards with stress, without
success.

For Turkish, a language where stress is about as mobile as it is in Russian, I love flash cards. I'm using
Assimil to learn Turkish, but I started using Anki to learn more vocabulary while still going through the
lessons, whereas I was done using Assimil Russian before I started to try using flash cards to learn more.

Anki has some really great pre-made Mandarin flash cards with audio files. For diacritic languages like
Arabic and Hebrew, I find flash cards difficult to use without the vowelization. Despite being a language
with diacritic vowels, I find it very comfortable or easy to study Persian flash cards.

In short, it's completely dependent on the language whether I use Anki or not in the first place. As for
putting in simple words, I totally do this, because it's much easier to tap "study in a week" or "study in a
month" when I am absolutely sure I recognize it than to be reading a text and forget it with humiliation.

For Mongolian, for instance, I'm still mixing up the various verbs of motion (it's like Turkish and Russian
in this sense), whether one means to come, to go, to go to, to visit, to return, to return home, etc. These
are nuances worth hammering out through repetition, and so yes, I do like to put in high frequency,
"easy" words.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version