Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4729 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 20
19 August 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
At first I didn't use flashcards for learning French, because I was using Assimil and I figured I would pick up enough vocab "naturally". However, after I passed about lesson 40 of Assimil I tried to use simple readers (e.g. an LFF book with "Moins de 500 mots"), and I found there were a lot of words I still didn't know. So I bought the Routledge Frequency Dictionary in French, and have been working on them in Anki to ensure I know the most commonly used words. So far I'm up to about the 1200th most common word, and to answer the OP, I do put in every word, even words I already came across in Assimil or elsewhere. I find the vocab study, work on courses (Assimil, Pimsleur, FSI) and reading (easy readers, Le Petit Nicolas) all support each other nicely.
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5048 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 10 of 20
19 August 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Avid Learner wrote:
Out of curiosity, I was wondering how people used spaced repetition program. So, do you enter easy words such as cognates, for example?

I do, most of the time. For example, I might recognize the word "organisieren", but I still enter it into Anki. My logic is that I may recognize it, but by the time I'll want to use it, I probably won't remember that it also exists in the German language.

Yes, that's why I usually enter them for recall purposes, but sometimes not for recognition. So yes to this card:

Question: aria

Answer: la aria

But no to:

Question: la aria

Answer: aria

Avid Learner wrote:
I might also do it because I want to retain the gender and the plural form, so I systematically search for new words in the dictionary. The same can be said of irregular conjugations. It might also help in avoiding the issue of false friends.

Yeah, if it's irregular, I enter it. I especially enter false friends.

Avid Learner wrote:
I have also debated in the past whether to enter the verb form as well as the noun and adjective when they are so close, but again, I chose to enter them because it reinforces my memory. I don't do them all at once though, only when I encounter them.

I've come over time to support entry of more forms rather than fewer, for the reasons you state.

As to easy words that aren't cognates, I usually always enter them if I can. Why? Because I've found often easy words a few years later vanish from my memory, no matter how well I knew them at one point. I recently for the life of me could not recall the Spanish word for crow, even though once I knew it well enough to think it unworthy of an Anki card. So I put it in.

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4482 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 20
20 August 2013 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Interesting! Almost every time I entered an "easy word", in the back of my mind, I was thinking that perhaps I was doing too much, but I see that I'm not alone.

emk wrote:
Of course, French is a very transparent language for English speakers once you get past a certain point, which certainly biases my experiences!

True enough, each language is a different adventure. At the time I developed an interest which made me badly want to understand native English material, even if I wasn't very good yet, I knew enough "core" words and was able to absorb new words without ever thinking of writing them down. Once I got used to hearing near identical words pronounced differently, it went fast.

In German, I do not have the level yet to be able to absorb various native material at a good enough speed to be able to avoid SRS altogether by compensating with the volume. Considering the much higher proportion of the language that is new to me, I feel I can't avoid studying words more systematically. However, I know eventually I will reach that point, it will just take me longer than it did in English.

Mooby wrote:
So called "easy" words are sometimes not so easy once they have been declined, conjugated or used in unfamilar ways.
So I add everything, and also add phrases that illustrate irregular and unusual forms of the word (where these forms are in common use). I skip the rare forms until later, but the original basic entry is still there for me to add stuff. My cards are always being refined and updated.

I agree with you. I also have a deck with sentences and will include different conjugations of the word, for example.

Aside from those sentences, I always study both ways (L1 <--> L2).

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7025 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 12 of 20
20 August 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Although I've used flash cards and Anki at various points in the past, I believe extensive Listen/Reading and Reading/Listening are more effective and more fun for vocabulary acquisition. Listen/Reading (L2 audio/L1 text) and Reading/Listening (L2 text/L1 audio) both allow far more words per minute to be covered and one has the benefit of context and possibly an interesting story to boot.

Edited by luke on 20 August 2013 at 8:08am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5905 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 13 of 20
20 August 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki to drill sentences and I input about 20 cards per day, but I also delete about 5-10 old ones in the same session. I have Anki open while I'm working on the computer so if there's something that I hear or read, I make a card. Fast typing speed and keyboard shortcuts from Anki-QuickInfo help make entering new cards a breeze. I still input words I already know basically for all the reasons that have been mentioned here already: I just don't know the language well enough not to include everything.

narigold
United States
Joined 3936 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 20
21 August 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
@previous poster, I don't think it's a good to delete 5 -10 cards per day from Anki. That defeats the whole point of
the SRS system. At some point you will need a refresher of each card to keep it in your memory, even if it is
months from now and you are just maintaining. Let Anki do it's job.

@original poster, I say put everything in Anki. At first I was skipping over words I had learned elsewhere but then I
realized I had forgotten some of those words because they weren't in Anki. For cognates, I put them in but after a
few days of seeing them I click Easy. I don't abuse the Easy button, but for cognates I've been exposed to half a
dozen times it is appropriate.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4950 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 15 of 20
21 August 2013 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
narigold wrote:
@previous poster, I don't think it's a good to delete 5 -10 cards per day from Anki. That defeats the whole point of
the SRS system. At some point you will need a refresher of each card to keep it in your memory, even if it is
months from now and you are just maintaining. Let Anki do it's job.

@original poster, I say put everything in Anki. At first I was skipping over words I had learned elsewhere but then I
realized I had forgotten some of those words because they weren't in Anki. For cognates, I put them in but after a
few days of seeing them I click Easy. I don't abuse the Easy button, but for cognates I've been exposed to half a
dozen times it is appropriate.

I prefer to use the language (read, listen, watch, speak, write, think, sing, play games etc.) in order to maintain it. I also prefer to be relaxed about forgetting the occasional basic word; this happens to me in my mother tongue all the time, so why should I stress about it in my second language(s)?

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5048 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 16 of 20
21 August 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I also think it's a terrible idea to delete cards, but I've had this discussion enough times to know that peoples' minds are unlikely to change.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version