Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 14
26 August 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
There are interesting language lessons to be found in odd places, if we just keep our eyes and ears open. People on HTLAL have mentioned reading ingredients on food, labels on clothing, etc. Here are a few I have found, can you add any to the list?

Sat Nav (GPS) A while ago I realized that I could set the voice on my sat nav (GPS to some of you) to French, and I got my directions in French for a month or so. Not a large amount of vocab, but good for practicing directions and numbers. I never got lost, partly because the image is usually enough to navigate by. The downside was that I couldn't comfortably listen to audio lessons at the same time.

Audio Tours Last summer I took my family on one of those open top bus tours of London. About halfway through I realized I should be listening to the French audio, and it was brilliant to ride through London listening to French descriptions of what I was seeing. I imagine you could do the same at many museums, walking tours, etc.

Any similar ideas? Can anyone mention other examples of audio tours with language choices?
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 14
27 August 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Museums often have written information/guided tours/audioguides in multiple languages. (I had barely seen a word of Catalan before last week, and in the museums I visited, I found myself accidentally reading signs in the language)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 27 August 2013 at 1:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5020 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 14
27 August 2013 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I've previously mentioned city "Greeter" networks on another thread, but think it may have been to suggest
situations where people could meet speakers of, and get practice in, their target languages - ie, to volunteer
as a "greeter" offering to give tours in your L2.

But - subject to availability of course - if your hometown or a place you're visiting is a member of the Greeter
network, and offers tours in your L2, you could certainly try it out as a user rather than provider of the
tours....

http://www.globalgreeternetwork.info/

One nice bonus is that you'd also have a chance to ask questions (ie have real conversations), and meet
other target-language speakers in your tour group.

Edited by songlines on 27 August 2013 at 4:04am

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5577 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 14
29 August 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
On a recent trip to Latvia and Lithuania we understandably went to many museums and various other tourist attractions that begged some kind of explanation of the history. Being able to understand almost literally no Latvian and no Lithuanian whatsoever (they're similar to *nothing*!) I found myself reading the Russian and the German. Not just because I wanted to, but also because some of the museums didn't have explanations in English. At times on the trip I felt like I'd not have had a clue what was going on if I didn't speak Russian!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Qaanaaq
United States
Joined 3935 days ago

14 posts - 25 votes

Message 5 of 14
31 August 2013 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
If you have an iPhone, change the Siri settings to your target language.

Edited by Qaanaaq on 31 August 2013 at 7:32am

Qaanaaq
United States
Joined 3935 days ago

14 posts - 25 votes

Message 6 of 14
31 August 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Also, I don't know if this was your tour, but a lot of big cities have Big Red Bus tours, with multiple language
options.

Edited by Qaanaaq on 31 August 2013 at 7:32am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 14
31 August 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
I've never been to Italy but I've more than once read an Italian menu in a pizzeria :P
I also remember reading a German menu in Poland. I think my mum asked for a Russian one, yet I went and grabbed what I expected to be a Polish one - yet when it turned out to be German I couldn't be bothered to change it once again.

and yeeees city tours.

Quote:
If you have an iPhone, change the Siri settings to your target language.
all iPhone settings.

*headdesks at not having Finnish or at least Romanian on her Nokia*

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 14
31 August 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
I saw Moldovan items in a food store in Tomsk. In Romanian.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version