2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 14
31 August 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
There are interesting language lessons to be found in odd places, if
we just keep our eyes and ears open. People on HTLAL have mentioned reading
ingredients on food, labels on clothing, etc. Here are a few I have found, can you add
any to the list?

Sat Nav (GPS) A while ago I realized that I could set the voice on my sat nav
(GPS to some of you) to French, and I got my directions in French for a month or so.
Not a large amount of vocab, but good for practicing directions and numbers. I never
got lost, partly because the image is usually enough to navigate by. The downside was
that I couldn't comfortably listen to audio lessons at the same time.

Audio Tours Last summer I took my family on one of those open top bus tours of
London. About halfway through I realized I should be listening to the French audio,
and it was brilliant to ride through London listening to French descriptions of what I
was seeing. I imagine you could do the same at many museums, walking tours, etc.

Any similar ideas? Can anyone mention other examples of audio tours with language
choices?

Sadly, I had to miss a walking tour of my neighbouring city (in England) conducted in
German. Not sure who organised it - I noticed it via a local Meetup Group announcement.

In this same city, once a month there is a Lutheran service in German conducted in one
of the parish churches. I haven't summoned up enough courage to go to it so far,
although I would like to (not that I am of a religious persuasion).

1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5020 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 14
04 September 2013 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

In this same city, once a month there is a Lutheran service in German conducted in one
of the parish churches. I haven't summoned up enough courage to go to it so far,

Yes, - a good point. In towns/cities with a significant expat population, there are likely to be churches/ places
of worship where services are conducted in the expat's L1: e.g., Tagalog, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese,
Spanish and Portuguese.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4670 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 11 of 14
04 September 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Changing Facebook settings - well, you don't learn much, but you always know these 20-30 words more.

The best language lessons = conversations while hitch-hiking. The best language survival ever.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 12 of 14
04 September 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
montmorency wrote:

Yes, - a good point. In towns/cities with a significant expat population, there are
likely to be churches/ places
of worship where services are conducted in the expat's L1: e.g., Tagalog, Korean,
Mandarin, Cantonese,
Spanish and Portuguese.

Reminds me that in this same city, there are Portuguese services available, and almost
certainly Polish. In the (different) city where I was born, I happened to notice (while
planning a visit there) there were Polish and Ukrainian churches. So probably lots of
options around the country (especially in London, of course).

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 14
04 September 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
As a "Home Polyglot" I can't compete with all these travel experiences, but I used to order an English audio-guide in the art museums of Düsseldorf. The alternative would have been German, other languages are not available there.

Fasulye

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 14 of 14
04 September 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
At the Brahms Museum in Hamburg, they offer the biography of Johannes Brahms (a composer) in all kinds of languages. I chose the Russian and the Japanese version, although I can hardly read anything in Japanese.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version