United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 73 of 89
18 January 2013 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Spanky, unless I can pay a lot of people off, I think Team Sputnik has enough votes to smoke the rest of us. :)

Regardless of who "wins" - it was the first TAC that I finished. And I'm proud of what I accomplished last year. So I'm already a winner. :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5152 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 89
18 January 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
And for the individual TAC, I vote for Fasulye.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5277 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 75 of 89
18 January 2013 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
My vote for a TAC team was harder to decide, but I vote for Team *jäŋe / *ledús just
because I've seen nothing that forbids me from voting for my own team.

Have you seen anything which allows you to vote for your own team? What is going on here? Trying to vote
for your own teams, offering to sell your votes? Could I ask people to please take this seriously? A lot of
people put a lot of effort into this, and some of you are now making a travesty out of all their hard work.

2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5152 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 89
18 January 2013 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
SofridCristin,

On the small off-chance that you're serious with ref. to Spanky's vote, (and for newcomers who may not be
familiar with his style), this quote (from the TAC Organization thread) may put it in context:

Spanky wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
I'm not sure how serious you are, Spanky, as I've learned not to take much
of anything you say seriously.

I have to agree that this is exactly the correct approach to take concerning me generally. I have to be serious so
much in my real life that I treasure the opportunity occasionally to be somewhat less so on the interweb.

Having met him, I can assure you he's actually serious about wanting to learn French (and respectful of the many
people on this forum who have succeeded with it and other languages), however much he may couch it in jocular
terms.

I seem to remember, in Dec 2011, wanting to give him his own, special "Tongue so firmly in cheek one wonders
how he speaks any languages at all" Award; Looks like
he may be a shoe-in for it again this year. <smile>

Edited by songlines on 18 January 2013 at 7:44am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5277 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 77 of 89
18 January 2013 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
SofridCristin,

On the small off-chance that you're serious with ref. to Spanky's vote, (and for newcomers who may
not be
familiar with his style), this quote (from the TAC Organization thread) may put it in context:

Spanky wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
I'm not sure how serious you are, Spanky, as I've learned not to take
much
of anything you say seriously.

I have to agree that this is exactly the correct approach to take concerning me generally. I have to be serious
so
much in my real life that I treasure the opportunity occasionally to be somewhat less so on the interweb.

Having met him, I can assure you he's actually serious about wanting to learn French (and respectful of the
many
people on this forum who have succeeded with it and other languages), however much he may couch it in
jocular
terms.

I seem to remember, in Dec 2011, wanting to give him his own, special "Tongue so firmly in cheek one
wonders
how he speaks any languages at all" Award;
Looks like
he may be a shoe-in for it again this year. <smile>

I am sure that you are right about Spanky, but when people start voting for their own teams things start to get
out of hand. There are a lot of great teams and great logs, but when you try to start voting for yourself then
this is not any fun anymore.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5899 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 78 of 89
18 January 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks songlines and apologies Cristina and to anyone else who may have been offended
by my comments. I by no means intended to make a travesty of all the hard work put in
by anyone. The point of my post, apparently not well-articulated, was to celebrate the
hard work put in by everyone with the dedication to carry through with a TAC.

Edited by Spanky on 18 January 2013 at 8:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5867 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 79 of 89
18 January 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
mick33 wrote:
My vote for a TAC team was harder to decide, but I vote for Team *jäŋe / *ledús just

Have you seen anything which allows you to vote for your own team?
Good point, I honestly hadn't thought of that. I really didn't mean to mock anyone's hard work or the voting. Taking that into account, I may have to change my vote.

Edited by mick33 on 18 January 2013 at 9:10am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7099 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 80 of 89
18 January 2013 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
mick33 wrote:

Have you seen anything which allows you to vote for your own team? What is going on here? Trying to vote
for your own teams, offering to sell your votes? Could I ask people to please take this seriously? A lot of
people put a lot of effort into this, and some of you are now making a travesty out of all their hard work.

Wow, this is the closest that I've come to disagreeing with Solfrid Cristin.

I think that the problem is that by taking it seriously it takes the fun out of it and more seriously in my view subordinates language learning to doing it as part of some team formed over the ether. The recent back-and-forth involving Serpent, Kerrie and Solfrid Cristin among a few others didn't reflect well to me considering that we pride ourselves on building camaraderie (as much as it can be acheived) and knowing when to be serious, and when not to be. I've also found it a little weird to vote/argue over who's the winner of TAC because in the end it doesn't really matter. This doesn't even mention that the selection process is opaque/subjective and voters freely admit that they haven't (or won't deign to) read all of the logs thus erasing any semblance of balance or fairness - hence my comment on this being a popularity contest rather than serious reflection of someone who's actually made progress in learning a language. There's nothing wrong with a popularity contest, but it's more honest to act that that's what we're dealing with rather than making noise about trying to be objective or imposing criteria on the fly when we haven't given an iota of thought about it until now.

The only thing to take seriously is the commitment to study a foreign language. Whether some people marry themselves to a particular brand or method to do it, or others study once in a blue moon, or still others act as lone wolves or in a wolf pack (to stay with the analogy), that's for every person to figure out. I like my teams for the support that they bring (inasmuch as it's possible with a bunch of strangers on the internet) but in the end it's still up to me to get off my ass and study. I'm not here to hold someone's hand to learn a language, but that doesn't mean I won't help when useful with links or attempts at reexplanations about something troublesome in a common target language.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version