Triglot
Poland
Joined 5069 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 41 of 89
08 January 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
I'd vote for the enthusiasts of Georgian if they were a team (Expugnator, zecchino1991 and TixhiiDon). They put a huge amount of work into mastering this in my opinion unpopular language with far too small number of valuable resources, I admire their dedication.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5292 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 42 of 89
08 January 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I would probably vote for the Georgian students too if they had a team.

My vote goes to Team Žá.
3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5152 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 89
09 January 2013 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
The TAC 2012 Official Thread had a mid-thread summary of the team lists: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30236&PN=1&TPN=19#346 571 (Copy and paste, removing any
spaces inserted by the forum software.) The team list isn't accurate (e.g. there's only one Individual Challenge
participant, and Sputnik was listed as having only four members), but there doesn't seem to have been a more
recent full list.

(Does anyone know if the Catalan Team finished? And what happened to the Germanic-Sinitic Team? Are there
any other teams or TAC particpants MIA from this voting thread? If so, could the members please give a shout? -
And link to your logs!)

Questions:

When does/should the voting wrap up? Should we give people another week? Or...?

And what can/should we do to encourage people to vote before the deadline (whenever it is)? - Perhaps if
people post reminders on their respective TAC 2013 threads...?

Even if people haven't been following logs throughout the year, they could - since we now have most of the
links of finishers handily gathered in this thread - perhaps scan some of the ones they've missed? Those for
their respective target languages would of course be likely to be of the most immediate use, but reading logs for
others can also be both very inspiring and useful (re. learning strategies and re. log-keeping).

Edited by songlines on 11 January 2013 at 4:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5152 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 89
09 January 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
It's something of a cliché for people, in situations such as this, to say, "It was hard making a decision; there were
so many excellent candidates".   And I'm afraid I won't be able to avoid the cliché: there were indeed many
wonderful logs which I've read/skimmed over the past week or so!

A few notes:

It's really handy having lists of the "finishers" here in one thread, and I hope we'll do that again at the end of

I'm glad to have had a chance to read many forum members whom I would not otherwise have discovered. Like
Cristina, I'd focussed on the logs written by my team-mates, and by those Htlal-ers studying one of my target
languages. (Of course, Cristina's list of target languages is much longer than mine!) This little pre-voting
binge gave me exposure to so many others...

It also exposed me to many different styles of log-keeping and study techniques.   Some elements that made
logs more accessible for me:

- Some sort of "hook" or theme for the team or individual log, such as Team Sputnik's - well, Sputnik and related
space theme, or the Polish "bison" helped to foster team spirit and liven things up.
- Occasional personal details to round out bare numeric tallies. Ideally, the best had a bit of everything:
something about the language itself (grammar, interesting vocab, etc.); personal elements (e.g. encounters with
native speakers); record-keeping of work done (books read, films seen, lessons covered). And, most important,
enthusiasm for the language and a sense of commitment to learning it.
-Translations / summaries in English, of any text in the L2. It doubles the work for the author of the log,
especially if he/she doesn't have English as his/her native tongue, but it's really appreciated when someone's
taken the trouble to do it.
- Humour.

- One aspect I considered was how well the team also functioned as a team: members visiting and
commenting in each other's threads, sharing advice, showing esprit de corps.   - Again, humour certainly
also played a role in fostering that team spirit.

Many TAC participants were on more than one team, but logged different languages on the one thread. - It
would have been futile trying to do do several "passes" mentally separating posts related to one language from
another, so I didn't try. I think it "all came out in the wash", and Team A didn't unfairly end up getting/losing
"credit" for writing that someone had done for language studies on Team B.

I'll wait a little bit to see if any teams which are possibly missing in action in this thread turn up; but otherwise
will likely cast my vote tomorrow.

Edited by songlines on 09 January 2013 at 1:33am

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5910 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 89
09 January 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the Polish bison votes ! I, however, most certainly did not do very well. I hope that changes soon, too many things with me are still in post-storm turmoil, and I'm trying to continue, but my brain has not been cooperating. It's never been this difficult to concentrate before. But you are right that our team is a fine herd of bisonfolk and I look forward to the rest of the year.

I really like your TAC evaluation list songlines, I'll try to keep them in mind this year!

There are so many logs and teams and participants now, which is wonderful. I just wish we had a better way of organizing and keeping track of individual and team TAC activity. IT would help a lot at the end of the year. I'm uncertain about voting this year because I know I've missed a lot of really good stuff.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6183 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 46 of 89
09 January 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:

Yes, could we please have another week! It is hard making a decision :)

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5790 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 89
09 January 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:
songlines wrote:

Yes, could we please have another week! It is hard making a decision :)

We still haven't got enough votes now, so I would also recommend another voting week.

My suggestion: VOTING TILL 20 January 2013

Fellow TAC-ers, please take part and vote here! :)

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 09 January 2013 at 8:29pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6048 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 48 of 89
13 January 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Dozens and dozens of people participated in TAC 2012, yet we only have a handful of votes so far, and just a week before the closing deadline.

Don't let voter apathy ruin the result, come on people - get voting!!!

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version