United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 49 of 89
13 January 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 

I think part of the problem in voting this year (compared to before) is that if only half the team makes it to the finish line, does the whole team get the prize? Most of the teams lost half or more of their participants. Who decides which teammates get the prize? Certainly, the people on the winning team who only have two log entries in January aren't going to be "winners" are they? Who makes that decision?

If a team had three strong people kicking butt all year long, but lost 15 others from the beginning, can that team win? Does the whole team win, or is it just the three that made it to the finish line? What about the teammate who made it through September?

Just curious. I think this year the voting is a lot harder. I followed a lot more logs this past year, because of my studies, but I couldn't judge 75% of the other participants, since I didn't follow their logs. I could go back and read everyone's year-end updates listed here, but I don't really have time to do that. I'm getting swamped with keeping up with TAC 2013 now, and I'm sure most everyone else is, too.

I already voted, but I think these are some things to think about, and might be why some people haven't voted.
2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5152 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 89
13 January 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
My vote is for Team Sputnik.

Kerrie: good points.

In voting, I considered primarily the logs of only those who made it "to the finishing line", as it were, with posts in
the last month or so. These were mostly, I think, the ones linked above in this thread.   

There simply wasn't/isn't time to check through the threads of dozens of non-finishers, nor to factor in drop-out
rates per team and compare them.   Teams have no control over whether individuals drop out or not, in any case,
though it might be argued that a team with strong esprit de corps would have a lower drop out rate,
and thus be more deserving of a vote. But really, there are so many other factors which may influence dropout
rates; For example: perhaps people choosing a less "popular" language may already be more motivated to learn
it...?

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6085 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 51 of 89
13 January 2013 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I think part of the problem in voting this year (compared to before) is that if only half the team makes it to the finish line, does the whole team get the prize? Most of the teams lost half or more of their participants. Who decides which teammates get the prize? Certainly, the people on the winning team who only have two log entries in January aren't going to be "winners" are they? Who makes that decision?

If a team had three strong people kicking butt all year long, but lost 15 others from the beginning, can that team win? Does the whole team win, or is it just the three that made it to the finish line? What about the teammate who made it through September?

We had the same problem in previous years as well. Unfortunately, the treatment hasn't been the same so there's no real precedent. I believe, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, in 2010 all members of the winning teams received the prize, regardless of whether or not they actually made it to the end. In 2011, only those who made it all the way to the end received the prize. I think the criteria for having made it to the end were having continued to post through December, including an end of the year/TAC conclusion post BEFORE people had started to vote for that team (to prevent people from trying to reemerge at the last second to claim a title that they hadn't earned).

Edited by ellasevia on 13 January 2013 at 7:33pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7099 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 52 of 89
14 January 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
[...] I already voted, but I think these are some things to think about, and might be why some people haven't voted.

This is why I've been abstaining from voting (but I'd be churlish not to thank Flarioca for thinking of me, and Serpent for being true to her Uralo-Slavonic character (despite its vibrant Lusitanic edge ;-)).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 53 of 89
15 January 2013 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I propose a different kind of voting next year - to vote for individual logs, not for teams. Like Kerrie wrote, it is difficult to evaluate teams because they have all kinds of participants and more importantly because most people don't follow all the teams so they can't make an informed decision. This current situation is evidence of that.

In contrast, voting for logs would be much easier because most people sample many of the logs during the year, eventually settling on a number (be it 5, 10, or 50) that they follow regularly. Picking your three favorite logs should be much easier than picking a team.

In general, I think TAC is two different things. During the year, it helps with motivation to study languages, it gives teammates for support etc. But during the voting we can't vote for those who learned the most (because we can't really know that) so I think the quality of logs should be the main criterion - whether they are interesting or funny, inspiring or exciting or useful. That's what I propose for TAC 2013.

If I could vote for TAC 2012 I'd vote for kraemder, Brun Ugle and g-bod because I've enjoyed their logs the most (even though I'm not studying Japanese).
3 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5925 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 54 of 89
15 January 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
I have had a really hard time deciding who to vote for, but I have finally settled on casting my votes as follows:

Team: The Asian Team
Individual: Fasulye

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 55 of 89
15 January 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I think we should take into account the umm technological progress XD I mean the bots - 6WC, Tadoku, Super Challenge. If you have some sort of proof that you've been learning languages, you win, even if you've not been updating your log enough. Also activity in your own log shouldn't be the only criterion - if you post in the team log or other people's logs, this should be taken into account as well.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5277 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 56 of 89
16 January 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I think it would be a good thing if we had a discussion about voting rules for 2013 when we have finished
voting for 2012. I also think it would be a good thing if we stick to the voting traditions we have so far for this
year, as it is generally not wise to change the rules mid-game or even after the game has ended.

Traditionally we have voted for the team with
- the best individual logs
- the best team spirit
- the best support among the team members
- the most inspiration for other teams

Now I do not know how this works for everyone else, but I actually take the TAC seriously. This means that I
have sometimes stayed up to 2 in the morning to write in my log, I do my best to make it funny and
interesting, because I have enjoyed the logs of so many others and I want them to enjoy my log. I have
supported my team mates when they have needed it, and I have received support from them when I have
needed it. I have also tried to give support to members of other teams. When I gave my vote I based it on the
same criteria, and there are some amazing logs out there. That is what this competition has been about.

Now I do not mind in the very least to be beaten fair and square by a team with better logs or better team
spirit, but I would mind very much to be beaten by a team which members had not even bothered to write in
their logs, just because they had participated in other competitions. That would be like the winner of the 6wc
would be the one with the best log in the TAC. I think it makes perfect sense to take such activities into
account as part of the bigger picture, but not instead of the logs.

As for choosing which members of the team should be taken into account I have also found that difficult this
year, and I think that is an element we should discuss for 2013. I chose to include those who had updated
their logs in the last weeks before the end, and to exclude those who had not, but I would have liked to have
clearer rules on that. How long a break can you take and still be included? Do you exclude someone who has
written faithfully for the first 10 months and include the ones who have taken a 6 month break?

I have not looked at drop out ratio, only on the sum of the best logs, but I do not think we have any actual
traditions on that. Personally I think it would be a bit unfair to judge a team based on drop out ratio.

I also think it is a good idea to be able to vote for individual logs, but in addition to voting for the teams, not in
stead of. 2013 looks like it is going to be an absolutely amazing TAC year. Great ideas have popped up right,
left and centre, and we have let each other be inspired by the best ideas of the various teams. I think we will
have a lot of really good candidates to chose among, and more importantly, I think we will see some amazing
results.

So to sum up, everyone is free to define what they consider to be a good log, and whether amount of hours
studied, perseverance or humour is what counts, and also what elements makes a good "team spirit" in their
book, but if the logs and the team effort are not the bases upon which we vote then this gets very messy
indeed.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 16 January 2013 at 7:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version