89 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 11 12 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 57 of 89
16 January 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Now I do not mind in the very least to be beaten fair and square by a team with better logs or better team spirit, but I would mind very much to be beaten by a team which members had not even bothered to write in their logs, just because they had participated in other competitions. That would be like the winner of the 6wc would be the one with the best log in the TAC. I think it makes perfect sense to take such activities into account as part of the bigger picture, but not instead of the logs.
I was referring specifically to the "who's in" -problem. Because I don't want to be told I'm not in just because I haven't updated my log after starting my new job on November 6th. I've been an active member of the forum, I've been working my ass off, I've been giving advice - and this means nothing?
Of course 6wc data is not a valid criterion for voting, but it should be a valid criterion for determining who's still in. And I think the last-minute re-emerging should be encouraged - the more the merrier! Of course ideally you should re-emerge to say more than just mea culpa.

As you can see I have no intention of voting for team Ne Nur just based on the associated data, but it would be ridiculous to say Sprachprofi, Volte and Arekkusu are not in.

I've just thought of another very simple criterion - if your team wins, and someone mentions your log specifically when voting, you get the award even if you didn't post in December.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5073 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 58 of 89
16 January 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I was referring specifically to the "who's in" -problem. Because I
don't want to be told I'm not in just because I haven't updated my log after starting
my new job on November 6th. I've been an active member of the forum, I've been working
my ass off, I've been giving advice - and this means nothing?
Of course 6wc data is not a valid criterion for voting, but it should be a valid
criterion for determining who's still in.

I agree with Cristina on this. It should be based on TAC 2012 participation (and I'll
add TAC participation only). I only kept my log up the first half of the year, because
I actually stalled out on my progress. But I participated in a 6WC, albeit with a
different language, and made good headway there. I also post and contribute almost
daily in postings here. Does that mean I should be considered too? Absolutely not! The
TAC is the TAC and the other challenges are other challenges, and the best way to
measure a person or a team's progress is through their log entries for the TAC.

To start considering anything beyond the TAC would get, as Cristina points out, messy.

R.
==
5 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4934 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 89
16 January 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
It may be a stupid question, but: wouldn't it be easier to set up a poll to vote?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 89
17 January 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Mae - I think the max number of options in a poll is less than the number of teams.
hrhenry wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I was referring specifically to the "who's in" -problem. Because I
don't want to be told I'm not in just because I haven't updated my log after starting
my new job on November 6th. I've been an active member of the forum, I've been working
my ass off, I've been giving advice - and this means nothing?
Of course 6wc data is not a valid criterion for voting, but it should be a valid
criterion for determining who's still in.

I agree with Cristina on this. It should be based on TAC 2012 participation (and I'll
add TAC participation only). I only kept my log up the first half of the year, because
I actually stalled out on my progress. But I participated in a 6WC, albeit with a
different language, and made good headway there. I also post and contribute almost
daily in postings here. Does that mean I should be considered too? Absolutely not! The
TAC is the TAC and the other challenges are other challenges, and the best way to

To start considering anything beyond the TAC would get, as Cristina points out, messy.

R.
==
You were learning languages so of course you should be allowed to "claim" your award if your team wins.
Meh, this whole thing feels like a chore. De facto TAC ends when the new year's thread is started. and yet some seem to think your language learning counts for nothing if you don't write a summary at the end. yet november is too early for a summary.

Um, but we were basically trying to determine how to count who's in. How about counting whomever the team leader lists at the end of the year?

I don't like to feel threatened. meh.

Edited by Serpent on 17 January 2013 at 12:28am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 61 of 89
17 January 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
The

What's messy about considering TAC the master challenge and allowing flexible options for tracking your progress? Let's face it, the bots are shiny while the logs are an additional work if you want them to be shiny. Nobody should be forced to post if they don't feel like saying anything.

This just feels too much like giving the grades at my former uni. It doesn't matter how much you know, you just need to do the homework every day, and you're assessed based on the monthly grades. if you are diligent all term but start skipping classes at the end, you're in serious trouble.

Edited by Serpent on 17 January 2013 at 12:50am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5073 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 62 of 89
17 January 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What's messy about considering TAC the master challenge and allowing
flexible options for tracking your progress?

Because they're completely different challenges with different goals, which may or may
not include the same languages. My TAC 2012 and my 6WC had two different languages,
decided upon at different times of the year, and I had different goals for each of them.

Changing the rules and/or combining challenges going forward might merit some
discussion, but 2012 is over, and people made plans on the then existing expectations.

R.
==

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 63 of 89
17 January 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I'm yet to hear of anyone who was kicked out of TAC for starting a new language... Priorities change and it's natural. It's perfectly okay to continue your log when this happens, so I see no problem with other challenges. The main goal of TAC is just to study as much as possible.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 64 of 89
17 January 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think it would be a good thing if we had a discussion about voting rules for 2013 when we have finished
voting for 2012. I also think it would be a good thing if we stick to the voting traditions we have so far for this
year, as it is generally not wise to change the rules mid-game or even after the game has ended.

Traditionally we have voted for the team with
- the best individual logs
- the best team spirit
- the best support among the team members
- the most inspiration for other teams

I think that's a good idea. I agree with the criteria you have here. I think in order to properly participate in the TAC, you have to keep your log updated. Fairly regularly. No one is going to shoot you if you miss a week, but in order to have a cohesive team and support among team members, in addition to tracking your progress and people being able to follow you during the year, a log is really necessary.

Serpent wrote:
I was referring specifically to the "who's in" -problem. Because I don't want to be told I'm not in just because I haven't updated my log after starting my new job on November 6th. I've been an active member of the forum, I've been working my ass off, I've been giving advice - and this means nothing?

Welcome to the real world where most of us live. :)

Serpent wrote:
What's messy about considering TAC the master challenge and allowing flexible options for tracking your progress? Let's face it, the bots are shiny while the logs are an additional work if you want them to be shiny. Nobody should be forced to post if they don't feel like saying anything.

The bots ARE a nice way to track your progress, for anyone who follows them. I am rarely on Twitter, I have no desire to follow people or their progress there. The nature of Twitter is not conducive to something like this. The TAC is an HTLAL challenge and is set up around a team of people who encourage each other through their logs.

Why do you feel like you're being attacked? No one is attacking you. :P

Edited by Kerrie on 17 January 2013 at 1:32am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version