89 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 11 12 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 89
17 January 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Once again, I'm not suggesting that we should VOTE based on any data apart from the logs. But I don't see why it shouldn't be a way to "be in". Not everyone cares about having the best log. The way I see it, using a bot is just wasting your chance to have a cool unique log and a meaningful contribution to the team. But it's entirely possible to miss out on that despite keeping a log.

idk, does anyone else consider the logs a social thing? if i could be bothered to keep track, i'd start posting lists of the matches i watch just to piss everyone off :P

lol i just remembered that i did post to my log. but i didn't do a summary and right now i have no motivation to do it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7099 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 66 of 89
17 January 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Once again, I'm not suggesting that we should VOTE based on any data apart from the logs. But I don't see why it shouldn't be a way to "be in". Not everyone cares about having the best log. The way I see it, using a bot is just wasting your chance to have a cool unique log and a meaningful contribution to the team. But it's entirely possible to miss out on that despite keeping a log.

idk, does anyone else consider the logs a social thing? if i could be bothered to keep track, i'd start posting lists of the matches i watch just to piss everyone off :P

Seriously, no. How many HTLALers genuinely find entries showing conjugation in Inari Saami or comparing false friends between Polish and Slovak interesting or relevant to their own backgrounds or studies?

One thing that I will say is that this talk about voting for a winner of TAC is more popularity contest than anything else. Whom are we really fooling? There, I said it, and as a forum fossil, I have no regrets.

Voting for the winner is heavily subjective and an exercise in killing time (I'm near the end of my 15-minute break from tonight's Polish session).

And just because I feel like it now, I'll vote for my log and my team. Hajrá *jäŋe / *ledús! and Éljen Chung!

Does it really matter? C'mon folks, let's get back to studying.

Right. Now back to "Polish in 4 Weeks - II, Unit 11". Na razie.
7 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5073 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 67 of 89
17 January 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
How many HTLALers genuinely find entries showing conjugation in Inari
Saami or comparing false friends between Polish and Slovak interesting or relevant to
their own backgrounds or studies?

On the other hand, if I were studying any of those languages I'd probably find them at
least informative, if not "interesting". Makes for a good reason to have people
studying similar languages on the same team.

It's pretty rare that I don't learn something new in the logs I follow, but I
only follow logs which highlight languages I have some interest in.

I think Serpent is looking at a log as solely a chore (for herself - and, fair
enough), when in reality they serve as more than just simple documentation.

R.
==

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 68 of 89
17 January 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
It's more than that as long as I have the right to post as much or little as I want without being kicked out of the challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 69 of 89
17 January 2013 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm voting for Team Sputnik, because they inspired me to see TAC as more than reading other people's logs.

If this is a category this year I'd also like to vote for Brun Ugle as a participant who has inspired me with the amount of reading she did this year in such a challenging language as Japanese. I have no opinion on other categories.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6183 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 70 of 89
17 January 2013 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
My vote goes to The Romantics.

mick33
United States
Joined 5867 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 71 of 89
18 January 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
My vote for individual log goes to Fasulye for her Danish log. My vote for a TAC team was harder to decide, but I vote for Team *jäŋe / *ledús just because I've seen nothing that forbids me from voting for my own team.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5899 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 72 of 89
18 January 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
I am torn on the voting issue.   I see the value of recognition by peers, bragging
rights and all that, but the "A" part of "TAC" is not annihilation of other forums
members but a collective effort to annihilate your subject language. "winning" is more
properly measured against the target language than against each other.

If we were given scissors to cut our voting ballot into as many separate fractional
votes as we may consider appropriate, I would cast a vote for every team that managed
to struggle to the end of the year with any measure of success on the part of surviving
members (I was not one) in having conjugated the heck out of your victim language or
whatever. I don't just mean like we all used to get ribbons in elementary school for
everyone who competed on the theory that we were all winners (I still have my
collection of ribbons from the 96 metre dash races in grade 3 - even back then, I just
never managed to make it to the end!), but there has to be a remaining core of
annihilators still standing with some legitimate claim of progress. there are a number
of those, who should be lauded equally in my view.

EDIT: sentence deleted.

Edited by Spanky on 18 January 2013 at 4:00pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version