Joined 3984 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 57 of 61
16 May 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
SomeGuy wrote:
looks like i can hijack this thread :)

Honestly? I'd rather you didn't! As a team observer, I was happy to get an update in my inbox - and a bit
disappointed that it wasn't a real post. Cat gifs are best for Facebook - unless of course you happen to translate
them into a SEAsian language. ;)

BTW Team Coconut - I'm now a little more than 2 weeks into Tagalog study, using the six-week challenge as a
motivator. And let me tell you…it's making my head spin!

Edited by Stelle on 16 May 2014 at 11:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5901 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 58 of 61
17 May 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid that, if you look at the first page of this thread, you'll get the complete picture: a new member self-appointed as team leader, a few senior members saying this was not allowed, and a few people actually joining the team.

The last relevant post was in January, the team's "leader" visited the forum for the last time in the beginning of February and most of the links to members' logs are dead.

@ SomeGuy: I'd like to draw your attention to this post of yours. You wondered why shouldn't a new member be team leader. Here's your answer.

Please don't misunderstand me: I sympathise with the members of this team. The same happened to me in the past... twice. Furthermore, as member (and leader) of the Rare Languages team, I was expecting to come here and find interesting posts.

I hope you guys don't give up and manage to keep on learning these interesting languages.

Edited by Luso on 17 May 2014 at 1:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4970 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 59 of 61
17 May 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
I'm afraid that, if you look at the first page of this thread, you'll get the complete picture: a new member self-appointed as team leader, a few senior members saying this was not allowed, and a few people actually joining the team.

The last relevant post was in January, the team's "leader" visited the forum for the last time in the beginning of February and most of the links to members' logs are dead.

@ SomeGuy: I'd like to draw your attention to this post of yours. You wondered why shouldn't a new member be team leader. Here's your answer.

Please don't misunderstand me: I sympathise with the members of this team. The same happened to me in the past... twice. Furthermore, as member (and leader) of the Rare Languages team, I was expecting to come here and find interesting posts.

I hope you guys don't give up and manage to keep on learning these interesting languages.

Yeah, agree. I'm still fully committed to Thai as can be seen from my log, but I stopped posting here since the team leader left in early February. It's a good lesson for all of us. A TAC team either needs a committed and experienced team leader or a rather large number of active members interested in sharing their progress, otherwise it just disintegrates.

With regards to Thai, I'm still going at full speed. It's a beautiful language, and the more I can do in the language, the more interesting it gets. I recently started reading and sometimes even participating in forums, I'm reading my first linguistics book in Thai, and I've taken to working intensively on my writing (on lang-8) and speaking (on italki). I'm currently in Thailand and it's great to be fully functional in the language. Whether this team is active or not, whether HTLAL goes down or stays around, doesn't really impact my language learning. But if we had a handful of advanced learners of Thai around, I'd be posting much more stuff. I see many interesting things these days, e.g., slang, register, Pali and Sanskrit roots, interesting or special words, language change, pronunciation etc. But it takes like 5 to 10 advanced people interested in those questions to get a lively conversation going.

I'm also a bit skeptical about the concept of lumping languages together. This may work for beginners or closely related languages, but I don't see how the average Tagalog learner would benefit from a discussion of informal function words in Thai, spelling peculiarities or regional pronunciation patterns.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by to say that I'm still enjoying Thai. I wish all of us who are still actively learning SEA languages lots of fun and a successful second half of the year!

Edited by Bakunin on 17 May 2014 at 5:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4940 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 60 of 61
17 May 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
@Luso
-the links to the member logs are just wrong linked, just delete everything in front of tinyurl, they're wrong linked since the beginning.
-thanks for linking to my own post :)
-maybe doubleUelle was not the chosen one but maybe the next newbie who start a TAC Group is it.

@Stelle
good luck with Tagalog! its seems be be an awesome language.
ps: dont let ceiling cat hear that you dont want any cat images in this thread

@bakunin
yep, lumping the SEA Languages together was wrong, but i doubt that will be enough people to start a Thai only group or even a Burmese/Vietnamese/Khmer group.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5901 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 61 of 61
17 May 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
It's just not worth the gamble for "the chosen one", I think. Thanks for the tip about tinyurl, by the way.

As for lumping languages, it's risky, but it can work. This team is doing ok. Actually, I think it's better than ok, but I'm an insider. ;)

Stelle is already an observer. I would be glad to have you guys as observers too. If you feel like posting, feel free to. We have an impressive array of languages and, more impressive still, of alphabets. You can also see that the average quality of the posts is high (there I go again, blowing my own trumpet).

I (and, I'm pretty sure, other team members too) would gladly welcome informed posts regarding Thai from Bakunin (he seems to be quite ahead in his studies). Maybe a feature of the language, or what I named a "cultural presentation".

Of course, Thai is just an example. Khmer, Vietnamese, Burmese, etc., are also welcome. That's the Rare Languages' spirit. :)

Edited by Luso on 17 May 2014 at 4:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version