Diglot
United States
Joined 3877 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 3
07 March 2015 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Wanting to reach B2 within the next 12 months, I studied so far Polish for 13 months. I used
Roseta Stone –a waste of time- and "Supermemo Polski bez Problem-basic". Supermemo helps me
reach a low A2. Last week I began using Lingq and “Assimil le Polonais”. I focus my energy
into reading and listening. However, I have a dilemma: “should I now invest time studying
Polish grammar and keep building passive vocabulary or delay grammar study until I reach the
B2? I cannot see how grammar can help me right now to move on, but Polish is so complex that I
suspect that without it, I would be limiting growth. I know probably 2500 polish words. Advice
is welcome.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3987 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 3
07 March 2015 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
CHUNG IS THE GUY TO TALK TO (meiner Meinung nach)
I believe that member CHUNG has created several lengthy posts containing very valuable advice on the challenges of learning Polish. I would provide the links, but I have never been able to use the "search" features of this forum. In the meantime, based on my own limited experience:

GRAMMAR VERSUS B2 LEVEL
I am not convinced that one can achieve a true B2 level in given language without having mastered the basics of its grammar. This does not mean that one must be able to pass a rigourous examination of grammar, but it does mean that one should be comfortable manipulating the basic structure of the language. So, my recommendation would be that you try to combine the acquisition of grammar and vocabulary.

LEARNING GRAMMAR WHILE LEARNING VOCABULARY
Most basic language courses introduce vocabulary and grammar simultaneously. Most methods do not provide a great deal of emphasis on grammar whereas some, such as Assimil, Linguaphone, Pimsleur, and Michel Thomas adopt a particularly poor or confusing approach. In my experience, when using any of the fore-named courses, I always consult a very basic grammar. For Polish, I would suggest Polish Verbs & Essentials of Grammar by Oscar E. Swan

FSI-STYLE BASIC POLISH (WITH GRAMMAR)
Everyone has their "favourites" when it comes to language courses and I prefer the 1960's and 1970's FSI-style basic courses. Yes, they're long-in-the-tooth, but they do provide a sound basis. Here are two alternatives:

Beginning Polish, Vol I and II, Alexander M. Schenker.
Volume I contains the dialogues, drills, explanations, etcetera. Volume II contains additional drills as well as a complete, but not necessarily easy-to-read grammar. If you decide to try this method, be sure to buy both volumes. You can find the textbooks on Amazon, Abebooks, Alibris, and elsewhere: Beginning Polish, Volume I (Schenker). The audio recordings (some 50+ hours) are freely available via a link to the Yale University archives: Polish (Schenker).

Beginning Polish, Second Edition, by Oscar E. Swan
Oscar Swan adopted an approach that is quite similar to that adopted by Alexander Schenker; that is, dialogues, drills, grammar. You can find the textbooks on Amazon, Abebooks, Alibris, and elsewhere: First Year Polish, Oscar Swan. Some, but not all, of the audio recordings are available via the University of Pittsburg archives: First Year Polish (sound files).

ROSETTA STONE
I am NOT AT ALL surprised by your comments concerning this product.

ASSIMIL LE POLONAIS
Yes, by all means! However, owing to the somewhat confusing presentation of grammar, I consider the Assimil courses as excellent sources of practice material.

2500 WORDS, THAT'S QUITE GOOD!
Congratulations on your progress.

UPDATE: GOLD FROM CHUNG
I found a link from Chung (I believe that he has several, so this is not complete):
Polish Profile

Edited by Speakeasy on 07 March 2015 at 6:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3877 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 3 of 3
12 March 2015 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
It seems that I will be doing both. I already know some basic grammar but there is never an
end to it. Without grammar, I think that Polish would be hard and probably impossible.After
finishing with Assimil, I plan that I will do another beginning course as a review. The
vocabulary will be increased by working in lingq. I am postponing to the end a pass through
Schenker's drills. By the way, I already gathered the references you mentioned. It will be a
long and, I hope, pleasurable journey. I do love learning Polish. Thanks

Edited by Lusan on 12 March 2015 at 4:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version