United States
Joined 5217 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 49 of 66
11 September 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I'll attempt to give this an answer ...

With Japanese, studying vocabulary roughly 30 mins/day with Anki I think it would take me roughly 1 year. This would be ignoring obvious English words translated into Katakana, which are much easier to learn. "Learning" the word would basically mean being able to see the word in Japanese (with appropriate kanji) and then giving an exact, or near exact, English definition of the "word" as provided on the other side of the Anki card. At the end of the year I wouldn't expect it to be 100%, but likely around 95+% if I forced all reviews.

At that point I wouldn't say I "know" those words, as if they were spoken there would be very little chance I would actually recognize them, but if I saw them written I would likely be able to supply a rote English translation for almost all of them. I would also likely not be able to use many of them comfortably in Japanese sentences (or pronounce them confidently) without other learning, or even understand their use in many sentences. Therefore the definition of "learning a word" I have knowingly stretched quite a bit here, but hopefully defined enough to understand what I mean.

Actually "learning" 2500 Japanese words when it comes to practical listening and use I think would take roughly 3 years (of 30 min to 60 min/day studying). That may still be conservative.

In Spanish the numbers might be adjusted to 4 months for getting them all reasonably in the head, and 8-12 months for use/recognition, but I really don't know. I haven't had to, or bothered to, cram Spanish vocabulary in this way.

Edited by Sandman on 11 September 2012 at 12:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4682 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 50 of 66
11 September 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I've learn roughly 1000 Japanese words in two months. My goal is to reach 2500 by
31/12.
I must have Japanese subtitles to recognise them in spoken Japanese.

Edit: ^be careful about the obvious loan-words. Some of them have a different meaning
than their original word.

Edited by stifa on 11 September 2012 at 1:26pm

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5217 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 51 of 66
11 September 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
If you can keep up a pace of 1000 Japanese words per two months, then you've got something I definitely do not have (time or memory), so good luck :)

Any more information on your study habits?

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4682 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 52 of 66
11 September 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Sandman wrote:
If you can keep up a pace of 1000 Japanese words per two months, then
you've got something I definitely do not have (time or memory), so good luck :)

Any more information on your study habits?

I don't think I can keep up this pace anymore though; uni starts in less than two
weeks. I added 800-900 vocab cards from Genki I/II sentences and a 100 or so grammar
cards. I switched to J-J cards a few weeks ago, and that means I have to learn 10-20
new words (with J-J definitions) until I can understand all the definitions and at
last, the word I intended to learn. :p
I always use example sentences. Example of a card:

Front:
果たす

望みを果たす

Back:
果たす: 物事を成し遂げる。

望[のぞ]みを 果[は]たす

I have noticed that I tend to forget more than half of their readings during the first
review the day after adding them, because I copy many of them directly from the
dictionary rather than writing them myself. Having done Remembering the Kanji also
helps a lot.

I have no idea what 果たす means in English. I think it has something to do with
fulfilling something, or accomplishing something..

Edited by stifa on 11 September 2012 at 3:13pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5914 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 53 of 66
11 September 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
What do we mean by 'learning' 2500 words?

Simply finding new words and recording them on a list (or SRS) is one thing, but it takes a lot longer to:
1. Study the word in context, and find / create even just a few basic examples.
2. Explore the main (and different) meanings a single word may have.
3. See how the word conjugates or declines.
4. Cross-reference dictionaries or use search engines to discover the broader meaning (especially verbs).

There may be the initial word acquistion, but there's months (even years) of familiaristion for the more subtle meanings to bed down. .

I'm not saying that we shouldn't start using words until our understanding is somehow 'perfect', or that there's only one approach. Personally, I'm like the proverbial tortoise, and would rather learn words as thoroughly as possible from the start; even if it takes me a bit longer to build my vocabulary.

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4606 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 54 of 66
11 September 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
This question is impossible to answer - it is like asking "how long is
a rubber band" without specifiying which rubber band we are speaking about.

You could ask me how long time it takes to learn 100 words, and I could give an answer
which would depend on the language (releated or exotic), my level in that language,
whether I had chosen the words or just got them from somebody else and finally whether
I was in the mood for heroic deeds that day.

But answering the same question for 2500 words would be tantamount to predicting how I
would spend my time for months or years ahead. Maybe it would take half a year to learn
2500 words if you worked at it every day using the tools which suit you best, but then
you go on holiday, your child is ill, you have a busy period at the job or you simply
lose steam, and all your meticulous calculations are awash. Or inversely, you move to
X-country bringing all your dictionaries and your positive attitude to hard work (but
leaving your family at home), and suddenly you are way ahead of your schedule.

Besides most people will probably have a better chance to stay motivated if they split
their ultimate goals up in nice small manageable packages. Like 100 words in a day or a
week, depending on the factors I mentioned above.

I agree with Iversen, the question is impossible to answer, because it is too
ambiguous. It depends on even more circumstances than Iversen mentioned. The question
did not specify whether one should learn the word primarily in one direction, from the
foreign into the mother language or in both directions.

And it was not also mentioned the complementary activities. For instance, when I read a
foreign text, look up the unknown words, translate the text into my mother tongue and
then I memorize these words. Or just to memorise new vocabulary from a textbook,
without any context.

What is it to learn a new word? Especially frequent words have often many meanings.
Does it mean to learn all the list of meanings?

The question seems legitimate to me. I can boost one’s motivation. Here are two
possible contexts where such a situation could occur. First, I am a beginner in a
foreign language and perhaps I have learnt a few lessons from a textbook. Now I do not
have major problems with pronunciation and spelling. It is not problem to learn 10-15
new words a day, at the same time I can learn something new from the grammar. The
grammar learning at such a stage can also be a memory drill, I mean learning irregular
verbs etc. Of course, learning grammar includes also an exercise drill but still there
is an amount of pure memorizing. At such a pace – one could learn 300-500 word a month.
For a beginner, however, vocabulary learning is not the only task. The pace could be
even a bit higher but the aim should not be only memorizing vocabulary. I supposed here
I have a foreign word and learn 1-3 meaning in my mother tongue. I do not learn a list
of synonym or other meanings. I learn vocabulary as it is presented in textbooks, not
as it is in a big dictionary.

The second situation is you are mainly concentrated on vocabulary. You know the grammar
and you just want to expand your vocabulary. When I learn word only passively, from the
language into Czech, I can learn 30 words a day. Due to repetitions, after a month or
after learning 1000 words I can lower the daily batch of word. But now – I have learned
1000 word and nearly half of my task has been finished. I do not claim I know these
words for good or can use them actively. Again, I learn only one meaning which means
1,2 3 equivalents in Czech. A few years ago I learned word from a textbook of
conversation. (the book rather contained thematic vocabulary lists). When I heard some
of these word in the speech, I could recognise them. The problem was these words
without a context were soon forgotten. And also, the textbook vocabulary did not
correspond to the real language which is spoken and written by native speakers. But let
us go back to the question. I could learn 20 new word a day without any problem. In
four month it is 4 x 600 = 2400 words.

Conclusion: Language learning is more than memorizing the vocabulary. At the beginning
the real pace could be some 2500-3000 words a year with the basic grammar etc. There
would be only a little point in just memorizing the vocabulary. One has to learn some
grammar, has to be able to read real texts, should be able to make their own sentences,
one should do a lot of listening etc. An advanced learner can learn vocabulary at a
higher pace, especially word which one learns only passively. For speaking one needs
some 5000 words but for reading it is not enough.

2 persons have voted this message useful

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4271 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 55 of 66
11 September 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Do you mean, know the "dictionary" definition of a word or the exact "connotations" of the word? It takes a LONG time to learn when and what words to use and in what contexts.

However, just memorizing definitions....I say you could do 40 words/day if you spend an hour a day with a language.

JordanB8m wrote:
How long does it take you to learn 2500 words, and what method(s) do you use?

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6081 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 56 of 66
11 September 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
At school, I learned approx. 1,800 German words in perhaps four months. I numbered the words in a hardback notebook, which is why I have a rough idea how many I learned. To define what I mean by "learned", I mean likely to recognise them and actively use them in the upcoming school exams.

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version