United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5499 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 81 of 89
16 December 2013 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
You've been a real inspiration mate, especially given everything you've had to juggle this year. I'm looking forward to language backpacking together again next year; and great little article on the validity of minority languages by the way. How's the LR experiment going with Fo Sgàil A' Swastika?

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4787 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 82 of 89
16 December 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to pop in to congratulate you on your degree! You can be very proud of yourself. Any plans for the future yet?

I'm looking forward to being on Team Celts with you again. Beir bua!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4547 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 83 of 89
16 December 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
Je suis contente de voir que mes compagnons Romulan continuent à
étudier! Est-ce que
ça va bien avec les livres de
Harry Potter?

Emily, ça va? Oui, les livres de Potter me plaît bien. Je viens de finir le premier
l'autre jour, exactement le genre de livre dont j'avais besoin. J'ai commencé à lire le
deuxième tome, tout va bien jusqu'ici!

agantik wrote:
Just dropping by to say hello and good luck with your studies
inFrench! If you need my help, I'm here, your
humble servant and proud Godmother to the French team!

Merci beaucoup! I think it's going to be a great year!

@Teango, thanks so much for your encouragement. It was tough going at times but fun
nonetheless! I've actually halted my study of Gaelic for a few months in order to focus
on other things. I made it as far as chapter 5 in the book, a very enjoyable read. I'll
put off a verdict on my L-R experience until the time where I can finish the whole lot!
Looking forward to another year of TAC with you at the helm of the Celts!

@Josquin, thanks as always for your kind words. My degree is actually an education
degree with a minor in Irish. If all goes according to plan I should begin teaching in
an Irish-medium school in the New Year (le cúnamh Dé!).

Edited by liammcg on 16 December 2013 at 6:58pm

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 84 of 89
16 December 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi fellow Team French member! I'm looking forward to following your log this year. Bonne chance avec les études!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4547 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 85 of 89
16 December 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much, look forward to working with you! :)

Just a quick summary of this week's work:
French
Finished 'à l'école des sorciers'. Really enjoyed the book, and it was exactly the type
of reading I needed. I missed about four-five words per page, which is good I suppose
considering it's the first French book I've ever read from cover to cover! I began 'la
Chambre des Secrets' this morning and am currently on page 56. Will curl up with it
tonight once again.

I've also been doing the usual watching videos on YouTube, and exploring some of the
resources posted over on the French TAC page.

German
Steadily chugging along with Assimil, passive 80, active 31. Will give a more detailed
review of my Assimil experience in my TAC summary.   

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4547 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 86 of 89
30 December 2013 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2013 END OF YEAR SUMMARY
This was the first year I participated in TAC and the first year I've been committed to
language study, having revived my school French, begun Scottish Gaelic and German, and
continued to improve my Irish slowly but steadily. A brief summary of my progress in
said languages:

French
I've been consistently plugging away at French all year with some noticeable
results.Both my listening and reading comprehension have come on in leaps and bounds.
However, at the beginning of the year I was unsure of the course I should take and so
wasted much time on reading things that didn't really interest me. I relied heavily on
watching videos on youtube etc, which was too passive of an approach. My output in both
writing and speaking has been minimal which is something that NEEDS to change in the
coming year. Being an introverted person I was reluctant to leave my comfort zone in
the fear of making an ass of myself, but I've come to realise that making mistakes in
speaking and writing is the only way I'm going to improve. This is an important lesson
learned, and I'll certainly benefit from it in the coming year.

Scottish Gaelic
Scottish Gaelic I began as a module in college. I carried out regular study at the
beginning of the year, though not intensively as I didn't feel the need to dedicate my
time to it. The grammar took care of itself (similar to Irish) and so my main challenge
was to get used to the spoken language and to build vocabulary. I wrote in Irish on the
similarities and differences between Gaelic and Irish, and received a first class grade
for it. During the summer/autumn my interest peeked again, and so I began to
read/listen more. This brought me to a level where I can converse without too much
difficulty on a range of topics. Keep in mind though that I've only had ONE
conversation in Gaelic and I base this assessment on self talk and such. My true level
will be assessed in the coming year as I plan to make it back to the Hebrides sometime.

German
I began studying German in June. Having got to lesson 20(ish) in Assimil I dropped it
because of all the other things occupying my life. I wasn't happy about this, but I
simply had too much on my plate. I began again in September, and since then I've
progressed steadily through the Assimil book. As to my level, I simply say 'beginner',
I have no disillusions about my abilities. I'm really looking forward to delving more
into this language next year!

Irish
I simply kept the language alive through reading and speaking. Sometimes it takes a
while to get up to full speed after a few weeks break from the language but it always
comes back with a little exposure. I graduated from college with a minor in Irish, and
should begin teaching in an Irish-medium school in the New Year of an upcoming
interview goes according to plan.

TAC was a greatly motivating experience. It helped me stay focused during my first year
of independent study, and the contributions of all on the forum continue to be greatly
valued and appreciated. A special thank you to my team mates and contributors to this
log. Here's to another great year of study!
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4547 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 87 of 89
30 December 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Here's a link to my TID=37675&PN=1">new log.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 89
30 December 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Fixed link:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37675

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version