United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3664 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Danish

Message 18 of 19
12 July 2014 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Thanks Cavesa; haven't updated this log in a bit.

I'm up to 4210 xp in Duolingo at the moment, with a 153 day streak. I still have about 24 modules to cover, but I can feel it's getting close. There's a variance in how much new stuff I learn; I normally go through and do timed review sessions of all the modules that show 4 out of 5 bars. I do try to get 100xp per day when I'm actually home in the evening.

I occasionally turn on my mic for Duolingo exercises, so that I get at least some practice speaking. I've had the vocal exercises bug out on my a few times, and other times it's too noisy when I'm doing the exercises. Also, sometimes I just can't make the sounds come out right, so I get frustrated and turn it off.

I finally got two of my Memrise courses voiced (by other people), so that makes me happy. One I've already learned, the other one is next on my to do list. I am STILL in "1000 words Introductory French," but I'm 77% done with that. I'm thinking about fleshing out the vocabulary on my memrise course that's related to the work I do, but I feel rather intimidated thinking about it. Currently up to 1958 items.

About halfway through the second season of "Les Simpsons."

I usually listen to French radio at work, at least as long as I can somewhat focus on it. I understand maybe a quarter of the words, but I'm getting better at following the train of conversation. Probably doesn't hurt that a lot of it has been about the World Cup, and therefore a lot of country names are being used.

I haven't done any Tom Sawyer in awhile. I should probably get back on that.

Still watching my new 24-hr French news station from time to time.

I keep thinking I should translate some more of Le Luth Brisé, but I've let a lot of things slide lately.

My significant other will not be taking any language classes this semester, so I've got till the start of next year to focus exclusively on French. I feel like I've come quite a ways in seven months, but good stars I have so far to go.
1 person has voted this message useful

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3664 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Danish

Message 19 of 19
16 July 2014 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I found out about the DLI Survival Kits. They have one for medical care, which is related to my job.

I've also discovered that I can use VLC to clip snippets of audio, so now I'm making the DLI Medical Language course into a Memrise course, with audio. I like Memrise because of the spaced repetition system. Chopping the audio will take a bit of time, but I'm not short of Memrise courses to work on. Currently at 1969 items, but I've been having higher-than-average failure rates, especially in the morning when I first wake up. I really should try to make some mems.

I attempted a language placement test that plunked me squarely into an A level, but it didn't say which one. Guess I really shouldn't try tests while drinking gin and tonic.
The next day, I was reading a random study (in French) about medical software, and I understood it a lot better than some of the text that was on the test.

Saturday the fiance and I went to a renaissance fair, and one of the comedy acts we saw said "Je t'aime avec du fromage." I wonder how many people besides me understood it. Anyways, that was sort of cool.

Got another chapter of Tom Sawyer done, watched the first episode of season 3 of American Horror Story, watched some more Simpsons. I've been slacking a little on Duolingo for the past two days, but I'm up to 4371 xp.

My aural comprehension seems to go through spats of giving up. It's just hard to watch anything at work, so I end up listening to my French Pandora station or Youtube lists. It seems like I can only stand to actually focus on French radio for around 20 minutes, and then my brain will insist on wandering off.

Met someone (briefly) at my work who speaks French, so I might contact him and see if he's inclined to indulge a noob for some conversation.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version