Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Esperanto
Studies: French

Message 1 of 22
19 June 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Salut tout le monde!

Je suis un etudiant d'informatique en Pologne et next year I'm going to be an
Erasmus student in French-speaking part de Suisse. I have never been learning
French, so I started collecting materials and reviewing them about a month ago. A
present, lorsque j'ai
more time than before the exams, je vais apprendre
francais plus
regularly. At least until I'll start a full-time job in July :P

The ideal (and unrealistic) goal would be to achieve B1 when starting my studies in
mid-September. C'est important, parce que it is a requirement of the student
house I got place in. I accepted leur proposition as I heard about difficulty to
find a flat in Switzerland (hope they don't read this :P).

Dans mes etudes I will try to listen a lot, as je voudrais to develop
mostly oral skills. I took a look at and liked the following courses:
  • French In Action
  • Duolingo
  • Assimil

Until now, I mostly did duolingo (level 7), watched introduction to French In Action
and also listened to about 1 CD of Michelle Thomas.

I am going to write here from time to time to have some motivation to do the writing in
French and also to receive feedback.

So feel free to correct mes erreurs and to suggest other things I should do. And
also wish me luck ;)

Edited by sygi on 19 June 2014 at 7:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 22
19 June 2014 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Bonne chance!

Tout ira bien!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4719 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 22
19 June 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
That is quite a challenge! Good luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3817 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 4 of 22
19 June 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I think your choices of Assimil and Friench In Action are solid. I am currently using them both, and have
found them to be great primary sources. I would also suggest considering a language exchange partner for
practicing speaking. For me, this made a huge difference. Additionally, I only recently started using an SRS
type flashcard app, and I really kick myself for not starting to use this sooner.   

Bonne chance!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 5 of 22
19 June 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour! I think that B1 in 3 months is possible, with lots of motivation and lots of time. How much time do you
have to put in to language learning daily?

If I were trying to reach B1 in a new language in 3 months, I'd plan on putting in at least 2 hours a day. Here's
how I would split up my two hours daily if I were you:

30 minutes French in Action (just watch and listen. Watch an episode more than once if you need to.)
30 minutes course of choice (in your case Assimil)
30 minutes tutoring OR 60 minutes language exchange (half Polish, half French)
30+ minutes other stuff: anki for vocabulary, Duolingo for drilling basic structures, actively listening to podcasts,
intensive reading (levelled readers)

Bonne chance!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3931 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 22
19 June 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I would add Pimsleur, since you wish more to develop the oral skills

You could drop off duolingo and switch it to pimsleur if you dont have enough time for both.

Just my opinion. Pimsleur is very expensive but it's worthy

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4719 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 7 of 22
20 June 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Bonjour! I think that B1 in 3 months is possible, with lots of motivation and lots of time. How much time do you have to put in to language learning daily?

If I were trying to reach B1 in a new language in 3 months, I'd plan on putting in at least 2 hours a day.

I have to say, I disagree somewhat with this. Benny's "Fluent in 3 Months" challenges have been all-day, immersive experiences. I don't know of anyone else who has claimed to have gained either B1 or fluency in 3 months, but it would certainly take more than 2 hours a day.

I suppose I'm reacting because I've been at French for 3 years, usually for an hour or two a day, and I think I'm barely scraping out of A2. I have to say that, like many of us on HTLAL, I am in introverted learner. That is, I do more of my learning by input and only output when I'm ready. Some people would argue that it's inefficient, but I couldn't do otherwise. Also, I think the massive input I am taking in now will put me in a much better position in the long run.

On the other hand, the OP only has to be able to speak enough to make the people around there think he's B1. If he's a gregarious person, good at blagging, and has tutoring as you suggest, I think it's possible, but he will be faking B1. And then in a few months immersed, and with continued effort, he would probably attain a legitimate B1.

Sygi, if I have any advice it would be to make it a goal to work on French for 6 hours a day (when you're not working anyway), get people you can speak with, and practice speaking everything you learn from your courses. You don't have to know a huge amount, but you will have to be able to use everything you know.

EDIT: I thought I'd look up how many hours are recommended for B1 by the "big providers". Wikipedia says that Deutsche Welle suggests 300 tuition hours for B1.1 and 400 hours for B1.2. Cambridge ESOL and Alliance Française give similar numbers. But remember that these places would also expect a certain amount of homework. What's my point? You need to know that you've got a huge task ahead of you, and arrange your planning and activity around that fact.

Edited by Jeffers on 20 June 2014 at 12:23am

6 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4254 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin

Message 8 of 22
20 June 2014 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Bonjour toute le monde qui apprend les langues...

The bottom-line of learning any language is to get yourself exposed by reading and listening a lot
outside your classroom hours. I tend to find reading newspapers boring but enjoy regarder les
programmes télé et les spectacles d'autre pays avec sous titres anglais ou chinois

1. I recently got into a set of online videos from Yabla. Yabla comes in several languages including
French. You have the option of listening to words & phrases over as many times as you want and select
the slower speed if you need to.
2. The other videos I found was "francais authentique" on YouTube. It is a man talking about
various subjects.
3. Right now I am reviewing vocabularies from the movie on DVD: "La Cage aux Folles" with French
captions.

Bon chance!

Edited by shk00design on 20 June 2014 at 1:06am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version