Joined 3616 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 17 of 30
03 July 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Resource

http://www.versoeprosa.com/en/17-teaching-education-certific ation?&p=3
Looks like a bookstore but it has a selection of graded Portuguese readers, as well as exams and other learning materials.

Looks like the readers are published by "Edicoes Tecnicas Lidel"
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 30
04 July 2014 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
You already have lots of resources, but consider the five colleges site too. It's mostly basic and useful for travelling.

migs
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3616 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 19 of 30
08 July 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Day 6

I seem to have skipped a day or two. Oh well, back on the elephant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/talk/restaurant/
The lady is the vocab section seems to be over-enunciating, never noticed before. Also she has a very slight northern(?) accent.

Chapter 5 Tem pão e leite?
Why is Sandra trying to buy an umbrella from the grocers?
The grammar is getting a bit heavier, I narely need to look things up, high school was a long time ago, but the explanations are good enough to follow.

Progress BBC 6/10 TYS 5/30 = 24% overall

migs
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3616 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 20 of 30
09 July 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Day 7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/talk/hotels/

Chapter 6 Tudo bem

Progress BBC 7/10 TYS 6/25 = 28% overall

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5872 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 21 of 30
10 July 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You already have lots of resources, but consider the five colleges site too. It's mostly basic and useful for travelling.

I have seen these videos before. At this stage, I'd not recommend them: the ones taking place in Angola have terrible sound and the ones taking place in Brazil can be a bit confusing for a beginner focusing on European Portuguese.

The ones from the BBC seem good, though. Slow, but sure. "Grão a grão enche a galinha o papo."
3 persons have voted this message useful

migs
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3616 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 22 of 30
11 July 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Day 8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/talk/directions/
"Cultural notes - Surviving an earthquake" gotta love the Brits dry sense of humor.

Chapter 7 Você está de férias?
What a mission to type that one! I´m trying to use a Portuguese keyboard layout on my mac and the "ê" was a mission to uncover, use shift+tilda (the one mapped to the double-quote next to the enter key) to get the circumflex. Addicted to the US international tho that I used for french. But will persevere and learn the local keyboard. For a couple of years I toyed with Dvorak as my only keyboard, was fun ... until I had to do support on somebody else´s PC. Sometimes public convention beats personal efficiency.

Gosh! Page 85 and this is the first time I´m noticing the lack of inversion in the Brazilian.
      Como se chama você? [PT for.]
      Como você se chama?

What is your name? [EN] (lit. What yourself call you?)

Eu chamo-me Miguel. [PT]
      Eu me chamo Miguel.

My name is Miguel. [EN] (lit. I call myself Miguel)

Progress BBC 8/10 TYS 7/25 = 33% overall

migs
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3616 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 23 of 30
14 July 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Resource

http://www.oseculoonline.com/
Local Portuguese rag. Will see if I can get my hands on the dead-tree version without driving to the ends of the earth.

http://www.rtp.pt/popups/antena-3
Listening to Antena 3 as background noise instead of local radio. So far 5 hours with the only irritation being a "comedy" piece with funny voices, which I tend to dislike in any language. The one guy had Brazilian accent (it was about the world cup), but he was definitely speaking European Portuguese and kept his "cheching" and grammar in check, (when he wasn't crying ;-).

Lots of English music, even a majority, but nothing top 40, and it's all announced in Portuguese. Lots of different voices and a variety of accents. Will probably focus on some on demand stuff later, probably from Academia RTP.

migs
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3616 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 24 of 30
14 July 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Day 9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/talk/transport/
Much less confusing than TYS on the same topic. The terms of things in Brazil are almost all different, and although indicated, it is very difficult to keep track of. It would be best, in such cases, to separate the Brazilian content, rather than intersperse it. The BBC made things clear.

Chapter 8 Quando começa a excursão?
Shocking. It´s bad enough to be an errata.

The first verb table in the book showing full verb conjugation for present indicative. The radicals are not shown?

How the heck is somebody not familiar with this sort of thing supposed to figure this out.

There is a clear explanation of the table on the next page, but it is missing the root words! How cruel. Also person and plurality are indicated with cryptic annotations, and they do 3 at once.

So for the benefit of those tortured souls ...
(I use the word "noun", read it as "subject" if that makes more sense to you)

p.101 How it works
a Verbs: the three conjugations - present indicative

In Portuguese verbs must agree with the noun that is doing the action. This means that the end of the word changes to indicate the person (I/you/he/she/they) and the number (singular/plural). There are also formal (você) and informal (tu) versions of you.

[PRE]
Number   Person English Portuguese

Singular 1st     I    &n bsp;      Eu
Singular 2nd     you         tu
Singular 2nd     (thou)   &nb sp;  você
Singular 3rd     he    & nbsp;     ele
Singular 3rd     she         ela
Singular 3rd     it    & nbsp;     (nouns are gendered male or female, use he or she)
Plural   1st     we& nbsp;         n ós
Plural   2nd     you (y´all) vocês
Plural   3rd     the y        eles
Plural   3rd     the y        elas
[/PRE]

There are three types of regular verbs, which means if the words have a certain ending they follow a simple rule.

The three model verbs are comprar, vender and partir. These will be used to demonstrate the rules for -ar, -er, and -ir verbs.

Fortunately the rules are simple, and can be applied to multible combos viz.
  • I
  • you
  • (thou), he, she, it
  • we
  • you(y'all), they

This is a bit "cheaty" as some of the things that have been lumped together actually have to be separated in some tenses (imperative), as their endings behave differently.

[PRE]
English      Noun Verb
To*         &nb sp;comprar
I           ;  Eu compro
you         &nb sp;Tu compras
thou/he/she Você/Ele/Ela compra
we         &nbs p; Nós compramos
y'all/they   Vocês/Eles/Elas compram
[/PRE]

*This is the infinitive, which serves as the root for conjugation. This is the form you will find in the dictionary. So if you need to look up a word that has been conjugated, you should consider unconjugating it before looking it up.

Similarly for vender and partir.

See especially Appendix p. 403 Verb guide

The rule is summarized for all tenses in the table on page 408. The table is cryptic as hell since it fails to explain the nouns are:
Eu
Tu
Você
Ele/Ela
Nós
Vós
Vocês
Eles/Elas

-----
The End.

Ok. I hope I haven't screwed that up. I'm A0 in this, but I hope it helps.

Progress BBC 9/10 TYS 8/25 = 38% overall

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version