Canada
Joined 5247 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 41 of 211
09 August 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Well, to me the two steps in-between make sense, because I can use almost all/most comfortably,
but don't completely trust myself with details in the 'most' category. I can use 'more or less' material, but it takes
some effort. 'gist' material means I need to work with the material intensively if I want to actually use it, and
'nothing' material means I need to return to the basics before attempting this again.
That means that the two levels I would put as 'some' vastly differ in comfort of use, and the two levels I would put as
'nothing really' differ in whether I can deal at all with available material at that level of comprehension.

I have no objection to such a scale. Actually, it makes me think of why not use the six-level CEFR scale? Then we
could just say Reading comprehension A1 or C2. Something to think about. I personally like to keep it simple.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6414 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 211
09 August 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
But this is anything but simple, as the materials have to be taken into account. So you're A2 if you can read A2 materials with C2 comprehension, eh? Too much confusion. It's much more common to use your comprehension percentage to determine your CEFR level than the opposite.

Honestly, don't fix it if it's not broken.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5583 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 43 of 211
09 August 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I have no objection to such a scale. Actually, it makes me think of why not use the six-level CEFR scale? Then we
could just say Reading comprehension A1 or C2. Something to think about. I personally like to keep it simple.

I may have mentioned it before, but for Spanish and French, reading newspapers and popular science magazines is relatively easy for somebody who knows English. A2+, I would guess. Reading contemporary novels is more challenging. For Japanese it's exactly the other way around.

While it may be possible that this is the only language combination with such a stark difference, or that I am weird for experiencing it that way, I think that either is not very likely.

The CEFR is useful if you want to know exactly what a person should be able to do when hiring them for work/accepting them into university or a language class, but I think it is not that useful when it comes to presenting all parts of any given language in the order any given individual would learn them in.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6414 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 211
09 August 2014 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
I've seen similar experiences with Korean here on HTLAL. Also, reading newspapers is relatively difficult in Finnish too, as again there are much fewer international words, like those that end in -tion/-zione/ción. Many equivalents are formed out of native roots.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5247 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 45 of 211
09 August 2014 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
s_allard wrote:

I may have mentioned it before, but for Spanish and French, reading newspapers and popular science magazines
is relatively easy for somebody who knows English. A2+, I would guess. Reading contemporary novels is more
challenging. For Japanese it's exactly the other way around. ...

I read Le monde, El pais, El mundo and other papers every day. To say that this is relatively easy for somebody
who knows English and has an A2 level in French or Spanish is for me very intriguing and frankly hard to believe.

Reading is one thing. The real question, of course, is what do the readers understand? I'll let other people put
percentages on this. In my estimation, our A2 level readers will understand "some" of the newspapers, not more.
And I don't see why English is any help at all.

But this raises an interesting question: what CEFR level of reading comprehension is necessary to totally
understand a given newspaper? For example, is the level of English of the the Guardian is that of, let's say, A2
English and over. I personally think that it is at least a B2 or C1. I frankly don't think that Le monde is written with
the A2 French learner in mind. This is one of the top newspapers in the world.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6414 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 46 of 211
09 August 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Try reading a newspaper in Finnish or Basque.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5583 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 47 of 211
09 August 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Vocabulary. And as Serpent mentioned, internationalisms.

With a bit of grit I did manage to read newspapers at the level mentioned. Maybe other people would start a bit later (or earlier, like Iversen). That does not invalidate the point I made about contemporary novels being more difficult for me in these two languages, while in Japanese it is exactly the other way around.

ETA: I never said that something was written with '... learner in mind'. Maybe I should have left in the paragraph in which I explained that graded readers baffle me in their choice of vocabulary and expressions, because they often enough explain words that are transparent, while not explaining opaque words that apparently appear in one of the textbooks published by the company that also publishes the graded reader series.

Edited by Bao on 09 August 2014 at 1:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6414 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 48 of 211
09 August 2014 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I read Le monde, El pais, El mundo and other papers every day. To say that this is relatively easy for somebody
who knows English and has an A2 level in French or Spanish is for me very intriguing and frankly hard to believe.

Reading is one thing. The real question, of course, is what do the readers understand? I'll let other people put
percentages on this. In my estimation, our A2 level readers will understand "some" of the newspapers, not more.

But this raises an interesting question: what CEFR level of reading comprehension is necessary to totally
understand a given newspaper? For example, is the level of English of the the Guardian is that of, let's say, A2
English and over. I personally think that it is at least a B2 or C1. I frankly don't think that Le monde is written with
the A2 French learner in mind. This is one of the top newspapers in the world.           

You're only making the mess worse, imo. Of course it depends on the specific newspaper, the topics, the learner. There are probably Portuguese native speakers who can read newspapers in Spanish but don't consider themselves learners of the language.

The expected progression is already a problem with CEFR, as Bao mentioned, and there's no need to make it worse. Many learners can do 1-2 things that are supposed to be above their level, but obviously their overall level is the one where they fulfill 80% of the requirements or more.

And yes, for some the thing they can do above their level is reading a newspaper. A2 learners vary, too - an independent learner is more likely to read small chunks of native materials before being "ready", while someone who's taking a class probably won't try to read what isn't required.

BTW, how many Canadians can read newspapers in The Other Language but not speak it? In a different thread, you kept saying that comprehension takes care of itself, and speaking is a much bigger challenge.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version