Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6684 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 9 of 84
23 April 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I think that you can find the Bible in different versions in many languages, including some that are almost modern in style. But do you really want that? Even though I'm an atheist like Dark-Sunshine I prefer the style of the older editions (insofar I can get them), - for English that would be the King James edition rather than some new and watered-down version. It is pretty clear that you shouldn't walk around and speak like a chapter of the Revelation, so you definitely shouldn't base all your language learning on that book. But if you want to produce bilingual texts yourself then the Bible is a good choice because it is found in practically every single language on this planet.

I know what you mean! I have recently been getting into Heian Japanese. I find old-fashioned Japanese really fun to read. So when I started reading my Japanese Bible for the first time, I kind of wanted it to be more old-fashioned than what it really was! I was surpised because it was more modern than what I had expected it to be. Maybe I can find one online with a more old-fashioned feel to the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Uthnapistim
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5629 days ago

19 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: German, Indonesian

Message 10 of 84
24 April 2009 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
At one point I also used passages from a couple of German bible versions as a reading list and a source for vocabulary when studying German. If you are very familiar with the bibilical texts in your native language and interested in the subject, you will most likely find the bible to be a good reading material, especially in the early stages of your study of the target language. Of course, as was pointed out by "Dark Sunshine" above, the vocabulary is somewhat limited and specialized. On the other hand, if you are interested in the history of your target language, then some of the older bible versions may offer glimpses to that as well.

zocurtis wrote:
Question... Is the German consistent with say the KJV or another version, say NIV?

This depends on what you mean by 'consistent' and how high a standard you set for consistency. Almost all recent translations to any language will use somewhat different Greek (and a bit less different Hebrew) text than the KJV translators did, thank to advances in textual criticism. And the choice made between more literal or more free style of translation has an effect as well (NIV being an example of rather free approach indeed). But if you judge KJV and NIV to be 'consistent' with one another, then I'm fairly sure you can say the same about KJV and any decent German translation.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 84
24 April 2009 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
For a "truly modern" version, look for one that is dynamic language equivalent. The text basically will reflect how people currently speak. Another way would be to ask the clerk for a modern language version. Modern language versions include texts written in "current" literary style.

Edited by Snowflake on 24 April 2009 at 12:30am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 84
24 April 2009 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
I could certainly see myself using that kind of expressions, but only for fun.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 84
24 April 2009 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
MLSUSA94 wrote:
Yikes! This is going to get ugly...

Let's hope not.

So, I'll throw in a post with two parts.

First, a factual part.
Some people who consider themselves Christians don't consider other people who consider themselves Christians to be Christians, because of doctrinal disagreement. This is a topic which can provoke quite a lot of ill-will, and which fundamentally cannot be resolved by a forum thread.

If it's a topic you're interested in, please take it elsewhere - such as PM with someone willing, or another forum.

Secondly, a request: please resume the original discussion, rather than getting into tangents about specific religious classifications or interpretations of bible verses; this is a forum where religious discussions are explicitly not to be done. Doubly so if they're political, as that's also against the forum rules.

Edited by Volte on 24 April 2009 at 2:41am

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6194 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 15 of 84
24 April 2009 at 2:57am | IP Logged 

Quote:
Catholicism and other denominations are sort of like the different sects in Islam such as Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia, Ibadi Islam in Oman, and Twelver Shiism in Iran. As in Islam, there are people from different Christian 'sects' or denominations who consider other denominations to be heretical or in apostacy.

Thank you for the clarification.

Back to the to the topic, whether you are religious or not, this website contains a lot of articles + audio in many languages. You can use them to make parallel texts or parallel audio files:

http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QBJrYBNQF

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version