Message 73 of 84
20 May 2011 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
topaztrex wrote:
Where can I buy Old Testament and New Testament of the
Holy Bible in their original,
untranslated languages?

It depends on what format you are looking for. I use this one:

edition-hardback.aspx"> http://www.mardel.com/the-interlinear-hebrew-greek-english-b
ible-one-volume-edition-hardback.aspx

It is an Interlinear which means it looks like this in (Hebrew/Aramaic):

http://interlinearbible.org/genesis/1.ht
m

And like this in Greek:

[URL=http://interlinearbible.org/john/1.htm]http://interlinearbible.org/john/1.htm[/URL
]

and it has a nice literal English translation in the margin. The advantage of this one
is that it is all in one volume--you can carry it with you to church. The disadvantage
is that the print is a bit small--but still readable.

I greatly prefer the on-line version--I only use my print version in church.

Let me know if this is not what you are looking for as I am fairly well versed in the
original language tools, both print and electronic.

Do they also have the Old Testament and New Testament in their original respective
ancient languages without any English translation? I am looking for something that has
a format similar to that of Qur'an.

Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 6057 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 74 of 84
20 May 2011 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
topaztrex wrote:
Do they also have the Old Testament and New Testament in their original respective
ancient languages without any English translation? I am looking for something that has
a format similar to that of Qur'an.

Thanks!

How about this one:

A Readers Hebrew and Greek Bible

Sample pages are here (First few pages show the Greek, last few show the Hebrew):

Sample Pages
1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 6057 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 76 of 84
20 May 2011 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
JW, there are free Hebrew and Greek Bibles downloadable from within this free software:

e-Sword

Care to offer your opinion on them?

E-Sword is one of several Bible software programs out there that give you the Hebrew and Greek text. The one I use is theWord (http://www.theword.net/) which is also free. The Gold standard of these programs is Logos (http://www.logos.com/) but this is not free--as a matter of fact it is quite expensive--but it has some incredible modules available.

Interlinearbible.org has an excellent selection of Hebrew and Greek Bibles and is on the web which means you can use it on your iPhone, etc. (which is a huge plus for me). The only things it does not have is:

1. Hebrew parsing - For this I use the Westminster Hebrew Morphology Database (WHM) which is available in theWord at a reasonable price:

http://www.theword.net/index.php?purchase-item&pid=15&l=engl ish

2. Greek parsing for the Septuagint text - For this I use the The Analytic Septuagint which is available in theWord for free.

Edited by JW on 20 May 2011 at 9:50am

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 77 of 84
20 May 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. Reading through it was... interesting. ;)

For Greek New Testament specifically, I have one like this which I really like. It is greek-only which I prefer over interlinear for free reading, but also has a dictionary in the back and footnotes which give manuscript variants, etc. for reference purposes. I'd also recommend this companion volume for those more scholarly inclined.

I would love copies of similar style and binding of the Septuagint and the Tanakh.

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 7070 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 78 of 84
26 May 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
topaztrex: Without reading the previous 10 pages, I'll mention some editions.

Those who are interested in textual criticism may prefer the Nestle-Aland 27th Edition (like this one), which provides a greater number of textual variants than the UBS4 edition (mentioned by dmaddock1). The tradeoff is that the textual apparatus is much more condensed than the UBS4 edition. I enjoy the mental exercise of deciphering it.

Metzger's Textual Commentary (also mentioned by dmaddock1) is very interesting too, along with his Text of the New Testament (the older editions anyway).

As for the Old Testament, Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia has been the standard for a long time. It's based on the Masoretic text of Codex Leningradensis (about 11th century AD, if I remember correctly) and contains the Hebrew/Aramaic text, Masoretic notes in the side margins and textual notes in the bottom margin.

dmaddock1 wrote:

I would love copies of similar style and binding of the Septuagint and the Tanakh.

Look for Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft editions.

I found Rahlfs' Septuaginta (the Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft edition) to have a size and binding similar to my UBS4 and NA27 (also Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1994, and this one was the same color too) when I bought it back in 1995; I don't know about current editions.

Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft also produced a small-size hardcover edition of BHS which was about the same height as the NA27 and Septuaginta.

As for software, although Logos is the popular software these days, I always preferred BibleWorks: partly because of its emphasis on working with the actual original text, and partly because I didn't want to repurchase books I already owned. Everyone has different tastes, of course.

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 84
26 May 2011 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Changing the subject a bit, I just discovered the Shenzhou Bible app for iPhone and iPad. it's fantastic for
Mandarin learning. Verse by verse, parallel simplified characters and English, read aloud by a native
speaker at native speed. I've incorporated a chapter per day into my morning devotions . . . I feel God will
understand my multi-tasking!

PurGlossa
China
Joined 4875 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 80 of 84
26 May 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
I am a Christian and will definitely be using the Bible as a language learning tool. I think there are a number of perks for using the Bible as a language primer, particularly for breaking into a new language and/or planning on learning many languages.

1. Free & available
There are a number of sources from which you can get the text online along with high quality audio for free. I plan to use http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/ambassador/free-audio-bib le-download for my Mandarin study. They said they had over 150 native speakers for this dramatic version of the Revised CUV. Someone had posted this link in another topic, but figured it'd be a good repost here. The Revised CUV was released in 2010 so it can be hard to find in the mainland but can be found online @ http://rcuv.hkbs.org.hk/bible_list.php

2. Most widely translated text / Accuracy of translation
The link above contains around 500 languages; many have modern translations or (being translated in the last 10-50 years) only modern translations. Also, translators take a pretty serious approach to translating the Word of God. I don't think one can expect word-for-word dictionary-like equivalence between two different languages, but they can expect a very accurate translation of a sentence's meaning.

3. References
Whereas a novel would only have chapters and pages, Bibles contain books, pages, chapters, and verses, making referencing and comparing translations much easier.

4. Smaller chunks
References also makes it easier when using audio. Being broken down into smaller chunks than typical texts, it takes less time scanning audio to get to a particular section. I have the Bible in MP3 in English and most chapters are 3-6 minutes, some as short as 1-2 minutes and some as long as 8 minutes.

You can read chapter by chapter, or read an entire narrative/letter. Many Bibles have headings of particular sections so you can focus on a smaller story or parable. Even without headings, simply knowing these verses allows this.

5. Mnemonic
This relates to 3 & 4. Much like a roman room or some other mnemonic, chapters, verses, parables, etc. all these reference points become a primer to one's memory. I love studying the Word of God and have been actively studying it for about 6 years now. So now I have a decent knowledge of where to find specific verses, topics, or parables. Instead of always consulting a dictionary, I can allow myself to infer word meanings from context, or if need be simply glance back over at the English (my native language) and back to the text.

-------------------------------------------------

I think for pronunciation, grammar, and a decent vocabulary set the Bible could really help someone break into a language. I imagine if just began starting Mandarin I would need some introduction to tones and basic characters first; but since I am well into my Mandarin study I am just going to dive in.

When I move onto Spanish, then Portuguese I think it will become easier to learn because I will have studied the New Testament systematically in ever increasing number of languages reinforcing the mnemonic aspect. Though I will use the Bible as my 'language primer,' I will definitely supplement that approach to get the vocabulary and grammar I wouldn't be exposed to reading only the Bible.

My approximate plan is to use the L-R method. 10 chapters/day @ 6 days/week = entire New Testament (260 chapters) in 30 days. I will make a more detailed post on this when I make my progress log.

Anyone with experience using the Bible as a primer for more than one language?

Edited by PurGlossa on 26 May 2011 at 10:43am

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version