Diglot
Norway
Joined 5761 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 97 of 265
28 November 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Random FYI: Practically all Norwegians - and by extension, presumably practically all Swedes - write the thing on top of the a in å as a dot, not a circle. In case you're writing things out by hand :-) It doesn't stand out that much in people's handwriting.

I'll let somebody else correct your texts - don't know enough Swedish to make sure that what I say is accurate, even though I can understand it fine in conversation and in writing.
1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6635 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 98 of 265
28 November 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Random FYI: Practically all Norwegians - and by extension, presumably practically all Swedes - write the thing on top of the a in å as a dot, not a circle. In case you're writing things out by hand :-) It doesn't stand out that much in people's handwriting.

Say what?

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5761 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 99 of 265
28 November 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I said practically all, because I've never seen an adult write a full circle. That's not to say there aren't exceptions :-)

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6635 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 100 of 265
28 November 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
I said practically all, because I've never seen an adult write a full circle. That's not to say there aren't exceptions :-)

I even have trouble making my os into circles. My handwriting is probably too fast and definitely sloppy. Sometimes I have to go over them and correct. I also have a lot of trouble writing the name Marco. By the time I'm on the r my brain has moved on and I think I'm done with the word, so I always write Maro and then have to make the o into a c.

Still, if I were to write an å it would resemble a circle more than a dot.

Speaking of handwriting, have you noticed the shift that's happened over the last decade or two? When I was in school we had to learn to write in cursive. That was "the right way". Nevertheless, quite a few people never did that outside those specific classes and now when I see people's handwriting it's almost always standalone letters. Only older people write cursive it seems.

Edited by numerodix on 28 November 2009 at 2:14pm

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5761 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 101 of 265
28 November 2009 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
If you write it as an a with a dot on top, you'll finish faster :-)

I think I'm probably too young to notice much of a difference, but our 50+ professors definitely write differently than we do. Line above the u and so on. (A dying breed...) Plenty of people my age connect their letters though. If I'm tired I try not to, to make sure I can actually read my own notes.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5994 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 102 of 265
28 November 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
The same shift from cursive to printing has been happening here too. I remember always seeing my teachers writing in cursive and liking the way it looked, because "it was pretty." First we learned to print in first grade, but by the time we had gotten to second or third grade, it had become optional to learn cursive. I tried to learn, and I still can write that way, not very well I might add, but I can. My current handwriting is often a mix of printing and cursive, with it being a naturally bit slanted and with some of the letters connected. It can range from rather illegible to very neat, depending on how pressed on time I am. I cannot, however, read cursive very well at all...

Also, I was just wondering, how do Norwegians generally hand-write the letter 'æ'? I naturally write my 'a' like a cursive 'a' (looks similar to Greek alpha, α, but more stretched out), but when for whatever reason I want to write that letter, I have to change it to 'a' to allow the 'e' to attach on. So is there an easier handwritten version or do people just write it as it appears here?

Edited by ellasevia on 28 November 2009 at 3:19pm

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5761 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 103 of 265
28 November 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
There are two options. I don't know which one is more common. There could be more...

The first is to write it as an a without the top hook, while also making a little circle into the inside of the a on your second round. So instead of writing the round part of the a counterclockwise, going up and then straight down again, you veer off to the left so that there's a visible little semi-circle a millimetre or so into your a from the right side. I don't know if that makes sense, but can't seem to find any pictures of it. This is what I was taught in school, and occasionally makes it hard to tell the difference between an æ and an a if you were writing fast.

The second is to write it more or less the way it looks in typed text. I switched to this at 16, felt like making a change so I did (I regularly make changes to my handwriting). You write the a with the top hook included, then lift your pen slightly and start the e from around the middle of the right side.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5994 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 104 of 265
28 November 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
There are two options. I don't know which one is more common. There could be more...

The first is to write it as an a without the top hook, while also making a little circle into the inside of the a on your second round. So instead of writing the round part of the a counterclockwise, going up and then straight down again, you veer off to the left so that there's a visible little semi-circle a millimetre or so into your a from the right side. I don't know if that makes sense, but can't seem to find any pictures of it. This is what I was taught in school, and occasionally makes it hard to tell the difference between an æ and an a if you were writing fast.

The second is to write it more or less the way it looks in typed text. I switched to this at 16, felt like making a change so I did (I regularly make changes to my handwriting). You write the a with the top hook included, then lift your pen slightly and start the e from around the middle of the right side.

Oh, that makes sense. I never though of doing it that way. The way you write it now is how I write it if I ever have to. But I might try to write the other way... HERE is a picture at my attempt at both of them.

Edited by ellasevia on 28 November 2009 at 6:55pm

This discussion contains 265 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version