Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
265 messages over 34 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 34
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5991 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 265 of 265
28 May 2010 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
THE SCHOOL YEAR IS NOW OVER!!! I'M SO EXCITED!

The last couple days I have really done nothing except relaxed and studied a bit for some finals. As a result I have a ton of Anki reviews and even more kanji reviews (260, but I had like 100 more than that this morning) stacked up. I will get to those. I also am behind on those kanji, but now that I have lots of time I should be able to catch up quickly.

Today I finished school at 10:30 in the morning since we only had one last final (French for me, which entailed acting out a scene from the play we had just finished reading, Marius) and then afterwards I just wandered around town with friends for a while. Ice cream, pizza, hanging out, swimming, etc. It was fun and a nice way to end the year on a very nice day in terms of weather. So that's why I have not done anything after leaving for school this morning on language really.

Also, this is going to be my last entry in this log. (I will start a new summer log either tonight or tomorrow.) As such I should sum up something in a little conclusion... Well it's been since September that I've been writing in here and it's been a nice experience. I do feel that it has helped me stay motivated, remember my goals, and feel obligated to complete them because I promised them publicly on here. I also feel that my language abilities have grown quite a bit:
SPANISH
- I regained interest in the language
- I have recognized this language as a secondary native language
- Improved listening skills and colloquial language usage especially, and also vocabulary
- I found an amazing TV show in Spanish which I still watch

FRENCH
- I reached a level that I would consider advanced fluency
- I finished my main study course and am continuing to work through more advanced material
- I unfortunately lost some passion for the language due to my negative French class (and for some reason I signed up last week on a whim for French 5...I may or may not regret that)
- General skills improved, especially reading and vocabulary, and probably listening too

PORTUGUESE
- I reached a level that I would consider advanced fluency
- I finished my main study course and am continuing to work through some more material for reinforcement, even though it's not as advanced as I would like
- I spoke a lot with one of my friends and also continued to tutor Brazilians in English and Spanish
- General skills improved, all around

ITALIAN
- I reached a level that I would consider basic fluency
- I am still working through a lot of material but I am liking it much more than what I was using before
- I think my skills have improved in most areas, especially grammar and vocabulary
- I am still going to study until I finish all of my materials, by which time I will hopefully be at about advanced fluency

GREEK
- I reached a level that I would consider basic fluency (finally!), even though it might still dip down to upper-intermediate in some instances
- I have recognized this language as a secondary native language
- I learned a lot of Greek this year: lots of vocabulary, improved speaking grammar and listening comprehension too
- I am very pleased with my progress in Greek and want to continue to at least advanced fluency since language is indeed very special for me

ESPERANTO
- I started off this log disliking Esperanto and thinking that it would be a waste of time to learn, but now at the end I have changed my mind and thought it was a nice little project to try a constructed language
- I have reached a level that I would consider about basic fluency, but this is really not difficult to do, even in such a short time period
- I'm not going to continue studying for now, but I might return to it in the future

GERMAN
- I think my German has really improved over this time--grammar, vocabulary, everything
- I finished my main course of study and feeling that with some more practice and more vocabulary and grammar training, I could move this up to basic fluency by the end of the year hopefully
- I am probably at an intermediate level of some sort, like B1 I guess?
- I'm taking a level 3 or possibly LEVEL 4 German class at school next year!!

SWEDISH
- Swedish was a pleasant little surprise; I didn't even plan to learn it now, but one day in September I just randomly decided to and have very much enjoyed the experience
- I am extremely pleased with my progress in Swedish and have actually been surprised at how much I have learned
- I feel that it should definitely be at basic fluency by the end of the year, which is my final goal for this language for now

JAPANESE
- My Japanese has grown so much this school year--I could barely say anything when I began!
- I have also learned so many kanji--I now am at about #1700 in RTK1, but when I started this log I was probably no more than #200!
- I am really enjoying Japanese a lot more with my new book and am gaining a lot from it
- I'm also taking a LEVEL 3 Japanese class at school next year, which would have been a complete surprise to me at the beginning of this year!

SWAHILI
- This was also a total surprise because I hadn't planned on studying this little morsel for several years, but now that I'm going to Tanzania, I just had to take advantage of the opportunity...
- Even though I still know VERY LITTLE, I feel that the experience has been so exciting, learning about an African language which I knew very little about
- I really hope that I will keep studying this language after my trip to Africa so that I might eventually (long time from now probably) reach a level of about basic fluency

And also some of those other nice dabble treats along the way: Chinese, Dutch, Afrikaans, Finnish, Hungarian, Turkish, Georgian, Polish, Russian, Arabic...the list goes on.

Well I wish everyone a very happy summer and nice studies in the future. I will see you in my new log hopefully!

--Philip

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 265 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version