Joined 6817 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 104
08 November 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
As for "poor audio ability", I disagree again. Pimsleur is bad for anyone with average audio ability.

How so? The human brain is very good at approximating, particularly with sounds. Over the course of our lives, we learn to match unusual spoken sounds to the nearest known equivalent. This is how we understand people with different accents from our own. While you might argue that there's accents in English that you don't understand, there is still a wide variety of accents that you are familiar with.

I tried the Pimsleur Hindi. I stopped halfway through the first lesson. Why? Because I heard a "D" sound, and it sounded to me like an English D. I already knew a bit of Hindi, so I knew that there are 4 D sounds in Hindi, and that none of them exists in English (excluding Indian English, of course). I therefore wasn't able to reproduce the word and was aware that any future exposure to words with one of the other 3 Ds was going to lead to me confusing them.

This would be less of a problem for a language with fewer sounds, but it is very difficult for the average person to discover new phonemes just by listening.

True, and this is a danger worth pointing out. I had the same experience with some of the mandarin sounds when using Pimsleur Mandarin.

But I wouldn't interpret by this that Pimsleur is bad, just that it isn't sufficient on its own.

After finding out through other sources exactly what the differences were between those sounds, and after practicing doing them myself, I started hearing the difference too, and after that I could carry on using Pimsleur to much better effect.
1 person has voted this message useful

Urban_Sasquatch
United States
Joined 5424 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 104
08 November 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:

After finding out through other sources exactly what the differences were between those sounds, and after practicing doing them myself, I started hearing the difference too, and after that I could carry on using Pimsleur to much better effect.

Do you mean you could hear the differences in the sounds <I>in general</I> or that you could now hear them in the Pimsleur recordings and were then better able to use it?

tpark
Tetraglot
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6969 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch, French
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 104
09 November 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
tpark wrote:
With Pimsleur, you will be able to survive on your diet of red wine and rib steaks. It's not enough for fluency, but I think it's still useful.

Perhaps, but since most poeple have limited amounts of free time, it makes sense to compare different courses and choose the more efficient one! I think Pimsleur has its merits, but it's excruciatingly slow on the whole, which drives at least me mad when I try to use it...

Yes, I agree that the pace is a bit slow. I think the course is well matched to individuals who are not dedicated students of language study. It may seem like I'm a super fan of Pimsleur, but I'm not really - Assimil and Michel Thomas (both of which I have used extensively) provide a better foundation. It's a good course for doing on the train since you don't have to stop the tape. Your concerns about Pimsleur are valid, and it's a good thing that people are aware it goes slowly.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5498 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 52 of 104
10 November 2009 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I've found that when done concurrently with Michel Thomas, the courses compliment each other very well. Especially once you get through the first volume of Pimsleur start MT. Some concepts repeat but you really start to connect the dots (on a basic level). I can't wait to finish both and jump straight into Assimil and Penguin.

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 10 November 2009 at 4:50am

FinnKelley
United States
Joined 5634 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Czech

Message 53 of 104
10 November 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I finished the Pimsleur Russian course about a week before I left for Minsk, and one huge drawback to the way you
learn with Pimsleur is that you learn very little, but what you learn you'll pronounce at a native level after so much repetition. Sounds great, but when you speak to Russians (or Belorussians in my case) they hear you speak and
assume you are fluent. After that it's quite hard to make them understand that you don't speak much. Even though
you learn phrases to help explain that you speak very little, often people seem to think you're messing with them
and walk away. In my case anyway :P I definitely learned more Russian in the month that I was there than the 5
months I spent going through Pimsleur.

Now that I'm back in the States, I'm getting ready for a year in St. Petersburg with Teach Yourself and Princeton
Russian, hopefully that will prepare me well enough to get into some advanced Russian classes. I will say though,
what I learned with Pimsleur helped me to differentiate words, which is great help when you're learning a much
faster paced language.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 54 of 104
11 November 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
For me Pimsleur is a waste of time. Yet, yes, it is also part of my language learning programs. It's excellent beginner material.

It's a waste of time because it is slow, discouraging and when I first started using learning material I almost compeletely stopped learning any language because of how boring this material is.

Some people have written that it is good material as it allows you to work on a language "naturally" without books. This is, in my eyes, wrong. Learning the wrong way to learn -- simply because as you move beyond basics one must learn spelling, structure, written grammar, etc... to master the language. Pimsleur would have left me in the wrong rut if I had not really thought about this.

Finally Pimsleur is A-B B-A translating which is fine when starting a language but you must overstep that rather quickly to assure you think and create a mind map in your target language. Word to word translation will fail you completely. Simple example.

Wir müssen hier Spielen dürfen. - 'We should be allowed to play here.'
Literally, a la Pimsleur one learns 'We must be able to play here.' You need to go global as soon as possible and out of the translating space. For me Pimsleur has been a barrier to get there when used alone.

So my personal recommendations:

1) Use Pimsleur but get through it fast - you want to move on. If it is taking too much time drop it.
2) Use other material from day one - written material to supplement the lacks of having none.
3) Audacity it to get rid of the spaces and pauses - push yourself a little.

Fast, complemented and optimized.

I'm currently starting Pimsleur for Portuguese and while I have not yet given myself a deadline (or yet run it through Audacity), I'll use much more written material and especially writing to break out of the oral-only mode. I need to hurry up on the oral and slow down on the actual written words to learn them.

Happy learning!

Edited by zenmonkey on 11 November 2009 at 2:20pm

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5600 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 55 of 104
12 November 2009 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:

I have been wanting to do this for some time now but find it so time consuming. Is there
a way to automate the process?

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 56 of 104
12 November 2009 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Paskwc wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

I have been wanting to do this for some time now but find it so time consuming. Is there
a way to automate the process?

Yes, see automating audacity

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version