Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 9 of 69
04 August 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
I have never been able to figure out the Russian ы's IPA symbol. In most books they would explain it as the 'i' in 'bit' which would mean its IPA symbol would be [ɪ]. Although I feel it sounds very close to [ɪ] when ы is unstressed I think it sounds very different when it is stressed. I have seen it described as [ɨ], [ɯ], and [ɯɨ]. I'm not sure which one I agree with the most. Could someone help me?    

P.S. I don't have any problems pronouncing the sound... I have had a Russian listen and comment on my pronunciation of ы, and he said it sounded very good. I just really want to know its IPA symbol...
1 person has voted this message useful

Polyglotted
Triglot
Joined 5069 days ago

35 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 10 of 69
05 August 2010 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Quote:

Here are Some of My Goals:
Listen to anything in Russian for a half an hour every day.
Try to read atleast four pages every day in the book I am reading called First Reader in Russian
Everything I know how to say in Russian I need to speak, even if it is just one word in a sentence
Learn at least 20 words everyday... hopefully with most of the words from what I read
I want to be able to sound as close as possible to a Russian... I don't know when I think I should be able to accomplish this

Sep. 25
Be able to read internet articles in Russian without the use of a dictionary

Oct. 16
Be able to read Russian blogs without the use of a dictionary

Oct. 6
Be able to read Russian newspapers without the use of a dictionary

Nov. 13
Be able to write diary/journal entries without the use of a dicitonary

Nov. 27
Be able to read a Russian book without the use of a dictionary

Jan. 7
Be able to listen to Russian podcasts and be able to understand them
Be able to listen to Russian news and be able to understand what is going on

Jan. 21
Be able to listen to Russian radio and understand the songs and the commentary

Feb. 28
Be able to talk to a Russian native without the use of a dictionary or resorting back to English

Apr. 28
Be able to express almost all of my thoughts in Russian whether or not the person I am speaking to speaks Russian

I had trouble with these because I never knew which would be considered more difficult... blogs, articles, newspapars... podcasts, news, radio...

What do you guys think? Are these goals to difficult to be a reached? Am I trying to attain something more difficult sooner than something less difficult? Thanks!

I am also learning Russian. I think your enthusiasm is incredible and I'm sure you will be able to reach a fluent level, but personally I think that your goals are a bit too short term, for example to be able to read an internet article without a dictionary you would need a very extended and varied vocabulary depending on the subject matter; some people say you need about 10000-20000 words for a basic fluency, which would result in learning 100 to 200 words or more every day, not to mention the extensive grammar to achieve this by the date.

My advice would be not to set yourself such regimented goals (ie. a certain day in a certain month), but to sit and think and set completely realistic goals; such as reaching a certain lesson in a course in Russian by a certain month, if you set yourself achievable goals with achievable times. You can go at a steady pace, not rush through, and learn slowly but retain the information rather than cram it in and forget it after. If you learn steadily then you will keep motivated and continually see improvement. Remember, native level fluency will take time, but the joy is being able to compare yourself to how you were a few months before and see how much you have improved.

I admire the amount of enthusiasm you have for this and I wish you the best of luck.

Hope this helped. :)

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 11 of 69
05 August 2010 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Polyglotted wrote:
Quote:

Here are Some of My Goals:
Listen to anything in Russian for a half an hour every day.
Try to read atleast four pages every day in the book I am reading called First Reader in Russian
Everything I know how to say in Russian I need to speak, even if it is just one word in a sentence
Learn at least 20 words everyday... hopefully with most of the words from what I read
I want to be able to sound as close as possible to a Russian... I don't know when I think I should be able to accomplish this

Sep. 25
Be able to read internet articles in Russian without the use of a dictionary

Oct. 16
Be able to read Russian blogs without the use of a dictionary

Oct. 6
Be able to read Russian newspapers without the use of a dictionary

Nov. 13
Be able to write diary/journal entries without the use of a dicitonary

Nov. 27
Be able to read a Russian book without the use of a dictionary

Jan. 7
Be able to listen to Russian podcasts and be able to understand them
Be able to listen to Russian news and be able to understand what is going on

Jan. 21
Be able to listen to Russian radio and understand the songs and the commentary

Feb. 28
Be able to talk to a Russian native without the use of a dictionary or resorting back to English

Apr. 28
Be able to express almost all of my thoughts in Russian whether or not the person I am speaking to speaks Russian

I had trouble with these because I never knew which would be considered more difficult... blogs, articles, newspapars... podcasts, news, radio...

What do you guys think? Are these goals to difficult to be a reached? Am I trying to attain something more difficult sooner than something less difficult? Thanks!

I am also learning Russian. I think your enthusiasm is incredible and I'm sure you will be able to reach a fluent level, but personally I think that your goals are a bit too short term, for example to be able to read an internet article without a dictionary you would need a very extended and varied vocabulary depending on the subject matter; some people say you need about 10000-20000 words for a basic fluency, which would result in learning 100 to 200 words or more every day, not to mention the extensive grammar to achieve this by the date.

My advice would be not to set yourself such regimented goals (ie. a certain day in a certain month), but to sit and think and set completely realistic goals; such as reaching a certain lesson in a course in Russian by a certain month, if you set yourself achievable goals with achievable times. You can go at a steady pace, not rush through, and learn slowly but retain the information rather than cram it in and forget it after. If you learn steadily then you will keep motivated and continually see improvement. Remember, native level fluency will take time, but the joy is being able to compare yourself to how you were a few months before and see how much you have improved.

I admire the amount of enthusiasm you have for this and I wish you the best of luck.

Hope this helped. :)

Thank you so much for the message! You're probably right. I will take this into consideration and reevaluate my goals. Thanks again for the message! It makes learning languages so much more fun when there are others doing it along with you. I was just wondering if you have a language log? I would love to check it out!

I reached all of my daily goals for today. I've watched you tube videos in Russian for a total of 40 minutes today, I've read a total of 225 words, and I learned 29 words.

Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 02h 30m
Words of Reading: 610
Words of Writing: 2
Hours of Speaking: 00h 00m
Words Learned: 29 (explain this later)

Daily Records Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 01h 00m
Words of Reading: 300
Words Learned: 29

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 12 of 69
05 August 2010 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
I've just learned 14 more words.

Hours of Listening: 02h 30m
Words of Reading: 610
Words Learned: 43

Words Learned: 43

gedamara1
Diglot
Albania
Joined 5071 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: German, Albanian*
Studies: English

Message 13 of 69
05 August 2010 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
mmm russian is a very difficult language to learn if you're native language is English , It is a very exotic language

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 14 of 69
05 August 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Ya, but I have had a lot of time to get use to it. It doesn't sound so exotic anymore and the fact that it seemed so difficult and so exotic at the beginning is what made me want to learn Russian. Thank you for the comment! Are you learning any languages at the moment?

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 15 of 69
05 August 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
The reason why I only wrote 29 words learned (then 43) yesterday is because I use Iversen's word list method, and I was doing it a little bit wrong. So I restarted my count at zero, but it is okay because I am making great progress with this method today.

Edited by whipback on 05 August 2010 at 9:28pm

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 16 of 69
07 August 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
My Results as of Yesterday:

Hours of Listening: 03h 22m
Words of Reading: 726
Words Learned: 106

Words Learned: 63

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version