Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 17 of 69
07 August 2010 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
I chatted with one of my language exchange partners today. His name is Vadim and he speaks fluent English. We talked for over an hour, but most of it was in English because my Russian is so bad. I tried to speak as much Russian as I could and he speaks a bit of Russian to me. The only problem is I have so much trouble understanding his Russian. I think the main problem is my lack of vocabulary. He is very good with helping me out though... he will write down what he is saying, explain what it means, and will help me with my pronunciation.
I even learned some new things from our conversation. One thing is that his home town, Omsk, use to be the capital of Russia. I never knew that and found it quite interesting. He also showed me pictures of Omsk and famous places he was going to pass by during a marathon he was going to run the next day (although it is the next day for him now).

Something else I did today that was new was write a random story in Russian. The story is pointless and stupid, but the first sentence just kind of came to me and then the rest of the story just flowed. Here it is and if anyone would be willing to correct it for me that would be greatly appreciated!

Мужчина бежит в магазине, потому что он нуждается покупать персикей. Он только хочет свежие персики для семьей.
Когда он управлялся в магазине, он находил персики. У магазины был много персикей, но они не был свежие персики.
Он спросил продавец, если у их были свежие персикей. Продавец говорил "нет" и мужчина очень сердился.
Он шёл домой, чтобы рассказывать семье. Они очень сердились также. Они сказали "что мы съедим сейчас" и они шли в кровать хотеть еду(hungry?).
1 person has voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 18 of 69
07 August 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Today was a really good day. I listened to Russian radio for about 25 minutes. I wish I could understand the words more because there are some songs that sound really good, and I wish I new the names of them so I could look them up. Then I watched this comedy show on Scola for about a half an hour. I couldn't understand too much, but the people in the audience were dieing laughing at almost everything. I could understand was something about phone sex though.
I read about six pages in my First Reader in Russian and beat my record of 300 words.
I wrote that stupid story for 75 words if I counted correctly.
I didn't exactly know what to do with the speaking. I spoke with a Russian for over an hour, but most of it was in English. I just put down the hour and ten minutes because I have no way of figuring out how long I spoke in Russian. Plus most of the time we were speaking in English he was explaining something about Russian to me.
I only reviewed vocabulary today, but that is okay because the last two days I way beat my daily goal.

Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 04h 11m
Words of Reading: 1028
Words of Writing: 77
Hours of Speaking: 01h 10m
Words Learned: 106

Daily Records Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 01h 00m
Words of Reading: 302
Words of Writing: 75
Words Learned: 63

I just thought of this today, but I have to say this log has been the absolute best thing to happen when it comes to my Russian. I feel so much more motivated, and I have a place to keep track of my goals, achievements, and mistakes. I just hope many more people have had the success I have with my log.

Edited by whipback on 07 August 2010 at 5:54am

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5063 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 19 of 69
07 August 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Мужчина бежит в магазин, потому что ему нужно купить персики. Он хочет только свежие персики для семьи.
Когда он управлялся (I didn't understand) в магазине, он нашёл персики. В магазине было много персиков, но они не были свежими.
Он спросил продавца, есть ли у него/них свежие персики. Продавец ответил "нет" и мужчина очень рассердился.
Он пошёл домой, чтобы рассказать это семье. Они тоже очень сердились. Они сказали "что мы будем есть сейчас?" и они пошли спать голодными. Best wishes in mastering Russian! :)

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5063 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes

Message 20 of 69
07 August 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Omsk was the capital of Russia? I never heard of it, I must confess...

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 21 of 69
07 August 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Ya, isn't that interesting? But I guess it was the capital of the anti-Bolshevik State according to Wikipedia.

Thank you so much for the correction!

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5063 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes

Message 22 of 69
07 August 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that's right. You are welcome.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 23 of 69
07 August 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
I did a little bit of planning for the future and made an order of what languages I want to learn as of now.

1. Russian
2. French
3. Welsh
4. Omaha
5. Hawaiian
6. Polish
7. Kiswahili
8. Coptic
9. Ukrainian
10. Romanian
11. Zulu
12. Mandarin
13. Wu
14. Xhosa
15. Quechua
16. Proto-Slavic
17. Old English
18. Czech
19. Croatian
20. Norman
21. Cantonese
22. Hungarian

Some other languages that also I think would be fun to learn are Picard, Irish, any of the other Slavic languages, any of the other Native American languages, and any of the other African languages.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 24 of 69
08 August 2010 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
My Results of today:

Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 05h 53m
Words of Reading: 1028
Words of Writing: 77
Words Learned: 127

Daily Records Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 01h 42m
Words of Reading: 302
Words of Writing: 75
Words Learned: 63

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version