Diglot
Albania
Joined 5071 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: German, Albanian*
Studies: English

Message 25 of 69
08 August 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
You should relax and take it easy , learning a language isn't a race , you should feel comfortable while learning any language :)
1 person has voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 26 of 69
08 August 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
But I do. I am having more fun learning Russian now than ever before. This log motivates me so much, and it has pushed me study Russian as much as I can. I feel the more you study your language the better. A person who studies for two hours everyday is going to learn a language faster than someone learning for only an hour a day... depending on the languages though of course. I just feel so accomplished when I have not only reach my daily goals but have beaten them! Thank you for the comment! It is always nice to hear from people and see that they are reading this.

gedamara1
Diglot
Albania
Joined 5071 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes

Message 27 of 69
08 August 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
hm your language list contains to many unimportant languages , you shouldn't waste your time languages that you could never use.I like to learn languages that sound differnet from others but only if I could use them in my life , Russian is a smart choice coz it is a widely used language and exotic too but why do you want to learn languages like proto-slavic or xhufa (I've never heard about these languages before)and wth do you want to learn both cantonese and mandarin , I would suggest you German or greek.They're both exotic.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 28 of 69
09 August 2010 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I love to know languages that others don't. I always try to be different and do original things. That is why languages that few people learn are so appealing to me. Just the idea of someone asking me what languages I speak and telling them not only a lot of languages but a lot of languages they have never heard of is so exciting! Plus think of how much you can learn from an unpopular language and the people who speak it. I will be able to learn so much more from a Native American tribe on a reserve than I will be able to learn from a Frenchman, German, Italian, etc. just because our life styles are so much more similar. Also if I learn a dieing language I could keep it alive.... maybe I could even promote it and make it much more common! I just can't wait until I can start speaking languages with click, ejectives, etc!
I take German in school. I do not learn anything from my class except the fact that German is not the language for me. I am still going to take it all four years because it looks good for college, and my teacher isn't very good so I can get an A without doing anything. I don't really care for Germanic languages at the moment. I even find English awful, and I'm really upset it is the only language I speak.
Greek I think would be fun to learn but I wouldn't necessarily say it is all that useful.
Proto-Slavic is a reconstructed language that all Slavic languages come from. There are others like Proto-German, Proto-Indo European, Proto-Italic (I think???), etc. The only problem is I don't know how I would learn proto-Slavic.
Xhosa is a Bantu language in southern Africa. It is awesome and has a lot of really awesome clicks (I believe 15 different click sounds). I can't wait until I can learn it.
Thanks for the post! Happy language learning!

n00bot
United States
Joined 5100 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 69
09 August 2010 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
Your list is awesome!! Most native speakers of less-popular languages will be thrilled to know you're studying their
language! Of course, some will also be baffled that you're studying it; when I was learning Czech, several Czechs
asked me why I was wasting my time. That killed my motivation, and eventually I stopped. Now when I meet more
receptive speakers, I wish I'd kept at it. So, don't get discouraged!   I don't know much about proto-slavic, but you
could probably get some leads from scouring course book lists at major universities (or, emailing for advice).

Sorry to hear about your experience with German -- I think it's a beautiful language!

Good luck!

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 30 of 69
09 August 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the comment. I don't know why I don't really care for German. When I listen to it I am able to distinguish words from each other (without really practicing it) and vocabulary is easy to learn so I feel as if German wouldn't be very difficult to become fluent in. I think it might just be that when I started taking German it was difficult to balance learning both German and Russian at a basic level so I just quit German because I absolutely love Russian. Then my like for German probably went down from there. I don't have any specific problems with German I just don't care for it so it is really hard to explain why I don't care for it. I think I might not like the grammar maybe? I don't think I like the idea of strong and weak verbs.
Isn't strange how sometimes native speakers will tell you not to learn there language? My brother told me he has some friends from either Norway, Sweden, or Finland (I think Finland) who told him people shouldn't learn their language because everyone except for older people speak English. I found that so strange that someone would say that about their native language!
Thanks again for the comment and the support! Happy language learning!

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 31 of 69
09 August 2010 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 06h 53m
Words of Reading: 1512
Words of Writing: 77
Hours of Speaking: 01h 10m
Words Learned: 127

Daily Records Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 01h 42m
Words of Reading: 484
Words of Writing: 75
Hours of Speaking: 01h 10m
Words Learned: 63

gedamara1
Diglot
Albania
Joined 5071 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes

Message 32 of 69
09 August 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Paç fat! Good luck! Viel glück!

我不会说汉语。
Ku është nevojtorja?
Я не говорю по-русски

Edited by gedamara1 on 09 August 2010 at 3:08pm

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version