8monthsinukrain
Joined 5059 days ago

90 posts - 119 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 69
11 August 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Hi whipback,

Your committment to your studies is impressive :)

How do you feel about Russian grammer? I see that you're not a huge fan of German grammer, but you know Russian is even more complicated, right? What have you encountered so far (verbal aspect, declensions, etc) and how have you dealt with it?

I'm just curious to hear what other learners do with grammer. I ignored it for 5 years :p but am now realizing there's no getting around it!
1 person has voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 34 of 69
12 August 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! Something went wrong with our computer and that is why I haven't posted in the past couple days. I haven't really been doing as much either because I have gotten a job and had to babysit for my neighbor, but I have made sure to always get at least a little bit of Russian study in.

@jedimindtrick
It is really just how you look at it. Although Russian grammar can be considered complex, it is more of "my type" of grammar. The case shown on the ending of a word rather than the article (and no articles for that matter), no strong/weak verbs, not to be in the present tense, etc.
I don't really know how to describe what I do with grammar. It just kind of makes sense to me and follows a pattern. Except the genitive which I am starting to learn now through reading. When I read the rules start to stick for all cases, and I am starting to learn the genitive. The aspects for verbs seem to just make sense... typically perfective in the future, always imperfect in the present, and past if it was completed, not on going, not in a sequence it is perfective. For the opposite it is imperfective. The hardest thing for me when it comes to Russian is memorizing verbs and memorizing which case comes after verbs that take a case. But just because I think the grammar makes sense and follows patterns, it doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. I make plenty of mistakes and then I just try to learn from them.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 35 of 69
13 August 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I just found this sweet Listening-Reading Method, but I sadly can't do anything with it because I can't find any Russian books with audio and a translation in a column next to the Russian text. Does anyone know where to find such a book because I would really like to test out this method?!

FVerschoor
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6189 days ago

44 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 36 of 69
13 August 2010 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Hey whipback,

A couple good books can be found at http://www.bilingual-texts.com/library/. Not too many
to chose from, but they have both russian/english text, and most have audio as well.

Your log is very inspirational, keep it up!

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 37 of 69
13 August 2010 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Спасибо большое! Like I said before the last couple of days I have only done a little bit of studying each day. Except yesterday night I chatted with a Russian in a chat room for a while. We didn't really talk about anything exciting. Just kind of got to know each other, and she helped me with my Russian.

So here are my results after the past couple of days:

Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 08h 28m
Words of Reading: 1647
Words of Writing: 277
Hours of Speaking: 01h 10m
Words Learned: 141

Daily Records Since the Start of this Log
Hours of Listening: 01h 42m
Words of Reading: 484
Words of Writing: 200
Hours of Speaking: 01h 10m
Words Learned: 63

It looks like I am ahead on my listening. I only need to be around 6 hours. I'm behind on my reading by a lot. I should be around 4000 words. Writing I am ahead on because I have no daily goals for writing. Speaking I am ahead because I have no daily goals for speaking. I haven't learned enough words either. I should be at around 260 words. So I need to catch up a little on my reading and vocabulary.

Edited by whipback on 13 August 2010 at 5:28am

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 39 of 69
13 August 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
www.yearlyglot.com always has interesting and good posts about Russian. The first one I want to mention and ask about is his idea of how to properly learn Russian verbs

The Magical Aspect of Russian Verb Conjugation

It sounds really good, but there are several instances where the meaning does not make sense when you put the stem and the prefix together. Let's take his example of отказать 'to refuse', от- 'away from' -каз- 'indicating, pointing'. I just don't see how you can get refuse from 'pointing away', 'indicating away', etc. If I put those two together without knowing the dictionary definition beforehand, I would have thought отказать meant 'to point away (from)'.
There are other instances where the verbs do make sense to me though. Выиграть 'to win' makes sense when you look at the verb and the prefix out + play 'to out play, to win'.
What do you guys think about this method? Do you think it works perfectly or do you find some verb and prefix combination's that don't make sense?

And thank you freebird for the kind message!

Edited by whipback on 13 August 2010 at 8:47pm

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5063 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 40 of 69
13 August 2010 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I'd advise you don't use that method (or use it like the means of memorizing for certain verbs, meaning of which you can get by the method). The feeling of prefixes will come with time, I'm sure. От-казать is like you come up to a person to solve any your question by his help, but he wants you go away and "pointing away", so that you're refused. Or, maybe -КАЗ- comes from сКАЗать. They will have a similar meaning: сКАЗать (or уКАЗать), чтобы он ОТошёл (со своим вопросом). It's like I feel as being a native. As you can see, it's all difficult to grasp, so it's a question of time. I hope that'll help (and understandable). Sorry for my English, I'm just a beginner and want to help you.:)     

Edited by kraft on 13 August 2010 at 10:11pm

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version