Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 77
26 December 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
YAY! I finally got started with my goals. I reviewed ALL of my German Anki, and I have been entering words for the
past ten minutes. I'M SUPER EXCITED TO BEGIN WITH RUSSIAN :D! Once I'm done with German I will unfortunately be
required to go downstairs and interact with other human beings, but once I come back upstairs, it's RUSSIAN
RUSSIAN RUSSIAN, and POLISH POLISH POLISH.

Will post progress later :D!
1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 10 of 77
29 December 2010 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
All I've really been doing the past few days is reviewing Anki, and looking at some grammar. I actually have been
doing some dialogs for Russian, and I have been reading a bit in German on the internet. I just want to save jump
starting for the New Year. I feel like that would be so much more meaningful. Oh, I have also decided I'm going to
be making VERB POSTERS :D. What I will do, is every day, I will write on an 8 by 11 paper (of course in fun colors :),
one verb and all possible conjugations. I will choose a verb each day from my "501 Russian Verbs". This will not
only help me somewhat master lexical aspect with Russian (which I still have a lot of trouble with), but it will allow
me to post these charts on my wall, letting me essentially be immersed in it :D.

So later tonight, when I return home, I'll start one, and I'll post it here :D!

Over and out...

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 11 of 77
31 December 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
WOW. I actually did more than I expected to get done this week.

German: I reviewed Anki pretty much every day, and I did quite a bit of reading.

Russian: I, again, reviewed Anki pretty much every day, and I am planning on using (with my other books), the
Princeton Russian Course :D. It's positively fantastic. Literally, the first dialog is:
Vera: Misha! Hi! How's it going?
Misha: Good. And with you?
Vera: So-so.
Misha: Sorry, I'm in a hurry. Later.
Vera: Well, OK see you later. (Misha walks away) Jerk!

I think I'm in love.

ANYWAYS, this is in addition to all of my other courses, so hopefully this will allow me to have an "entertaining"
alternative to Living Language, which in my opinion is quite drab and boring concerning vocabulary and dialogs.
I'll probably run through, consuming any vocabulary and grammar I may have missed.

Polish: I am actually almost done with Unit 1 (I know it took a while), and I'm hoping to finish Unit 2 in my SUPER
BIG PUSH TOMORROW!

Greek: Absolutely nothing, but hey, it's still 2010 ;).

LOVE. PEACE. BLESSINGS.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 77
31 December 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Well done! I am so envious of you for doing Polish!! I loved Polish when I studied it 16 years ago. Once I have gotten to an acceptable level of Russian I think I will have to go back to Polish. However I have one thing that few others have: A Polish inscription in my wedding ring. I met my husband at a Polish course, so we decided it would be a fun and romantic thing to do. So now, whenever I meet austere Polish high officials, I show them the inside of my wedding ring, and they melt like butter...

Good luck with both Polish and Russian!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 13 of 77
02 January 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well done! I am so envious of you for doing Polish!! I loved Polish when I studied it 16
years ago. Once I have gotten to an acceptable level of Russian I think I will have to go back to Polish. However I
have one thing that few others have: A Polish inscription in my wedding ring. I met my husband at a Polish
course, so we decided it would be a fun and romantic thing to do. So now, whenever I meet austere Polish high
officials, I show them the inside of my wedding ring, and they melt like butter...

Good luck with both Polish and Russian!

Dziękuję bardzo Solfrid Cristin!
Vielleicht kannst du mit Polnisch später im Jahr anfangen. Ich habe viele Freunde, die Polnisch sprechen, also ich
kann viel mit ihnen sprechen. Ich hab auch Verwandten, die Polnisch sprechen.

Ich fing mit Polnisch an, als ich genug Russich kannte. Also was du machst, ist eine gute Idee.

Diese Geschichte mit deinem Ehering ist echt süß :). Ich las es schon irgendwo hier.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 02 January 2011 at 2:47am

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 14 of 77
02 January 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Ok so here's what I've accomplished this week (before the New Year), on New Year's day, and what I plan to
accomplish this week.

German: I got to read A LOT, and I conversed a bunch with my Grandpa. I'm going to be watching a lot more
movies with German subtitles (hopefully I can obtain a few within the next few weeks, I'm sure my German
friends have some). Anyways, I've been kind of slow with German, and I hope to pick up the pace. My goal this
week is to master any parts of the verb system that I am not familiar with. Once I finish that, I mostly just have to
get the hang of some prepositions, and I will have basically a solid command of all of German grammar. I'd like to
learn some idioms as well, so I'm going to have to look up a book or a list somewhere. Hopefully this won't be
too hard. OH! I'm also going to start using flavoring particles much more in my speech...once I get the hang of
them.

Russian: I've started using the Princeton Russian course, and I'm beginning at the very beginning, and fast
tracking my way through stuff I am already familiar with (however the dialogs are very fun, and I enjoy
shadowing them :). Hopefully by the end of the week I can finish with Chapter 1 (there are 8 lessons), and
continue onto Chapter 2. I'm absolutely loving it, and I think the supplement to the Living Language will be very
worthwhile.

Polish: I've mastered the dialogs of the first lesson, and hopefully I can pick up the pace within this week. I hope
to finish all of the exercises and shadow the dialogs one more time by the end of today, and hopefully continue
on and complete Chapter 2 by the end of this week.

Greek: I'm so behind with Greek. I still have to get the audio for Chapter 1, so that's going to be a priority. I'm
hoping to complete the first Chapter by the end of the week. I don't know if that's completely possible though.

I've decided starting yesterday that I am going to count hours. I think that this will give me an estimation of
where I am at and where I need to work (concerning as to which languages I need to work on).

Ok, so I'll post hopefully later today with some progress.

Love, peace, blessings.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 77
04 January 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Is the Princton Russian course something you find online, or is a regular course?

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 5058 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 16 of 77
05 January 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Is the Princton Russian course something you find online, or is a regular course?

It's available online and is free, however, people have complained it was a heavy file and rather messy, but I had a
look at it and it's absolutely brilliant. The dialogs are hilarious and much more likely to happen in real life than some
situation I came across in Michel Thomas or Pimsleur. Everything is included, the tests, the keys to the tests, the
dialogs, the grammar lessons, audio files, it's just perfect.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version