United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 77
01 February 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Élan wrote:
Good luck with your studies! I am (only) studying Persian, so I will be watching that part of your
log with much enthusiasm!

I don't know if you've seen it, but you might want to check out John Mace's Persian Grammar. I adore it. I often
feel like TYMP and Spoken World Farsi leave out decent grammar explanations. I refer to Mace's book all the time
to get clarification of particular grammar points. I think he does an excellent job explaining the grammar in a
very straightforward way.

Thanks! I'll keep tabs on your log in return :). From looking at your log, you're on team چ with Ellasevia :). I may
be joining that team since my Polish team hasn't posted anything since December. (one didn't even start their
log)

Thank you so much! I've been looking for a good Persian grammar. I often feel that I have questions after
reading through the grammar explanations. For example, what if you have a noun that ends in a vowel...how
would you make it indefinite (with ی) or definite (in speaking with eh)? I have to order a bunch of language books
soon so I'll probably try to get my hands on a copy of that.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 01 February 2011 at 8:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 34 of 77
02 February 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Well I'm currently writing my post about this week, and it's looking really good. Due to weather conditions, I haven't
had school, so I've gotten SO MUCH done. I'm actually quite happy, and I hope that this pattern continues. I went
ABOVE the goals I wanted to accomplish this week (which rarely happens). And surprisingly, it wasn't that hard to
focus. I'm really liking this change :).

Élan
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 35 of 77
02 February 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
Thanks! I'll keep tabs on your log in return :). From looking at your log, you're on team چ with Ellasevia :). I may
be joining that team since my Polish team hasn't posted anything since December. (one didn't even start their
log)

Thank you so much! I've been looking for a good Persian grammar. I often feel that I have questions after
reading through the grammar explanations. For example, what if you have a noun that ends in a vowel...how
would you make it indefinite (with ی) or definite (in speaking with eh)? I have to order a bunch of language books
soon so I'll probably try to get my hands on a copy of that.

You're always welcome on our team. :) Persian ftw!

Shall I answer your first question? If you're making the word indefinite with ye, you write it like یی if it comes after alef or vav. If it ends in a silent final he, you write ای . If it ends in ye, you leave it just the way it is. :) I'm not sure I understand your second question. Anyway, they are just examples but I thought I'd answer if I could!

Definitely get the John Mace grammar book if you can. If you are sneaky, you can probably find it online, but I think having a real copy to highlight in would be much better.

Congrats on going above and beyond your goals this week!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 36 of 77
06 February 2011 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Week of 1/30/11

Just as a notice, I decided that doing Anki reviews constitutes studying, so I will begin my hours for studying to
review my Anki.

Well let’s get started with this week’s summary:

I would first like to state, that I did not reach many of my time goals AT ALL this week (except for German). I had
actually gone up and above my time goals from Monday through Wednesday because I had no school (snowdays).
However, this up and above my time goals was for those days only. I essentially skipped Friday through Saturday
self studying-wise (as in the schedule for each day), because I had SO much work upon my return to normal
school days. So essentially my hours this week are made up of half a weeks worth of overtime. I hope to make up
for this lost time by adding on a few minutes of extra study every now and then (remember I’m trying to
accomplish a goal that is calculated into a percent).

Deutsch:
Hours: 6.07 hours (Goal for each week: 4.75 hours)
Goal: Complete whole first chapter of the grammar book.
GOAL MET
I surprisingly did a lot for German this week. I did some extra studying when I had time, so I went above my time
goals. I did end up completing the first chapter of my grammar book, however there are some points I would like
to continue to refine, which I will do as I continue onto the second chapter. These first chapters are really basic
things (such as noun inflection and the use of the cases), but this grammar book goes into EXTREME depth. For
example, it goes into extreme depth in determining the gender and the plural of a noun. It’s a very very
advanced grammar book, so I’m hoping I don’t burn out halfway through.

Русский:
Hours: 2.5 hours (Goal for each week: 4.5 hours)
Goal: Complete first chapter of Princeton Russian Course.
Goal not met.
I’m extremely disappointed with my Russian for this week (and all of my other languages except German for that
matter). I’m almost done with the first chapter, and I’m hoping to god that I can get it done tomorrow (although I
only have a half hour period scheduled, so I may have to go overtime). I’m at about lesson 7 out of 11. It’s all
mind numbingly easy (even if I weren’t at an A2ish level of Russian); however, all of the exercises here focus on
pronunciation and (for myself) ACCENT IMPROVEMENT :D! So as of now, I’m using all of my Russian studying to
improve my accent until the lessons start to catch up with my level.

Polski:
Hours: 2.7 hours (Goal for each week: 3.5 hours)
Goal: Complete third chapter of Spoken World Polish.
Goal ALMOST met
Well if time weren’t to count (which it does), I would have had a successful week considering I almost completed
the third chapter of Spoken World. I’m progressing fairly quickly with it, so perhaps this is a good sign from
Polish. I’ve completed the first two chapters, and I entered the vocabulary for the third one into Anki (that’s my
almost). Polish is surprisingly really easy for me to pronounce. I don’t have any trouble with reading, and my
assumed pronunciation is usually identical to the recordings (with a scarily similar accent). I got into a fight with
my grandmother so I’m not currently on speaking terms with her at the moment (especially not in Polish),
however I have had a few short conversations with my Polish friends here and there.

فارسی
Hours: 2.82 hours (Goal for each week: 3 hours)
Goal: Complete second chapter of Spoken World Farsi.
Goal semi met
The reason I say semi met is that I actually completed the second chapter of Spoken World Farsi, however I did
not exactly complete the time requirements. Ahhh it’s all about the time for me XP (I know it’s irrational it’s just
the way I see that I’ve accomplished something). Anyways I pretty much remember everything from my far ago
forays into the fantastic frequently spoken Farsi (I tried to continue to use just f sounds....failure). Anyways I
think that I actually did relatively well this week. I set a reasonable goal, and I (more or less) accomplished it. It
would have been nice to get my full 3 hours, but all is well.

Kiswahili:
Hours: 1.5 hours (Goal for each week: 3 hours)
Goal: Learn the pronunciation system for Swahili, and then add the greetings from Mwena Simba (which Ellasevia
so kindly pointed out to me) to Anki.
Goal semi met
This week with Swahili, I met my task goals, but not my time goals. I did learn some useful phrases this week
though, which are now sitting in my Anki. So the first week of my two week trial period is finished and I am
unsure if I’m going to continue with Swahili. I really want to, I don’t think my hectic life can handle a third
BEGINNER’S language. Ah well I’m giving it a shot right now, so we’ll see by next week whether or not I’m up for
the challenge.

Ok time for bed. It’s really late and I have a lot of catching up to do for languages tomorrow...

This has been my first (actually trying) week of TAC 2011. Off to a rocky start, but I’m happy :).

Until next time...

Edit: I also have a crapload of Anki reviews, so I have to get to them too XP.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 06 February 2011 at 7:58am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 37 of 77
06 February 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
This week with Swahili, I met my task goals, but not my time goals. I did learn some useful phrases this week though, which are now sitting in my Anki. So the first week of my two week trial period is finished and I am unsure if I’m going to continue with Swahili. I really want to, I don’t think my hectic life can handle a third BEGINNER’S language. Ah well I’m giving it a shot right now, so we’ll see by next week whether or not I’m up for the challenge.

Don't be discouraged! As I see it, Swahili has three stages of learning:

Stage 1: Yay! Swahili is so new and exciting! And it's so easy! I can't wait to learn more! Weeeee!
Stage 2: Damn it, this is hard. I forgot about the 16 noun classes--what a nightmare! Why am I doing this to myself again? Time to neglect for two months while I pretend to study...
Stage 3: Best. Language. Ever. Everything is so logical and easy, why did I ever think this was hard? Sure, there are a couple tricky points but they're by no means insurmountable. Definitely worth the effort.

I found that that first stage lasted only a couple weeks for me, so you might already be reaching that second stage. But don't worry, the third stage is totally worth it! The greetings are a bit tricky, simply because there are so many of them. They're really important too, so make sure you get them down really well. I once accidentally greeted someone with "Habari za jioni" instead of "Shikamoo" when I was in Tanzania, and was then made to sit through a whole explanation of why I should have used the latter...

How is your ქართული coming along? You have it listed as "studying actively," but you haven't mentioned it much and the plans for it in the initial post were pretty vague. And you didn't include it in your most recent schedule... How exactly are you approaching the language this year?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7100 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 38 of 77
07 February 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Ruski, nie moge Ci podeslac zadnej wiadomosci prywatnej. Mysle, ze masz za duzo wiadomosci w koncie.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 39 of 77
07 February 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Ruski, nie moge Ci podeslac zadnej wiadomosci prywatnej. Mysle, ze masz za duzo wiadomosci
w koncie.

Przepreszam Chung! Nie wiedziałem, że wysłał dużo wiadomości. Miałem tylko pytanie :/. It won't happen again.

Edit: I checked my outgoing mail and it seems I've only sent you like three in the past few months asking various
questions about certain languages. Have you been getting others? If not, I'm sorry if 3 is too much :/.

@ellasevia: The only problem right now is that I haven't any actual learning materials (I still have yet to purchase
them). Hopefully the end of this week will bring with it some fun Swahili learning materials.

As to my Georgian, whenever I've had the chance, I try and take a few shots at my Georgian book, but nothing
really worth mentioning. I feel bad because I've only been speaking in Russian with my Georgian friend and I
hope to actually start to speak in Georgian (and of course still Russian :). I just didn't include it as a part of my
TAC 2011 (and I'm not particularly sure why), so I thought it deserved it's own log, where I would go at a mind
numbingly slow pace. It's just in the interim while my current schedule is dominated by school, sports, and my
TAC languages.

Hopefully during the summer that turtle's pace will be just a bit faster, but as of now I don't know how fast
exactly.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 07 February 2011 at 1:39pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7100 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 40 of 77
07 February 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
No-no-no, that's not what I meant. I stated "I am unable to send to you any private message. I think that you have too many messages in (your) account". In other words, prune some of the messages in your in-box, so that I can get through.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version