United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 49 of 77
27 February 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Week of 2/27/11

So from what I wrote earlier, I put Farsi and Swahili on hold for just this week only, so I could get back into the
swing of things after break. I wish that I had done more over break, but I did get some stuff for Russian, so I’ll
just quickly state what I got done in my Russian section for this week.

Deutsch:
Goals: For this week, I would like to post at least 1 entry to Lang 8 about something extremely trivial. I would
also like to read through Assimil a bit and just enjoy the bilingual text. I’d like to read at least a few pages of “Der
Seher des Pharao”, and also some news clippings. I’d like to get some more L-R done from Lenz...let’s shoot for
at least 2 hours of that. I also got a new book that I’d like to try. It’s a beginner’s book, but it’s chalk full of
vocabulary that would fill in the holes so I’d like to get at least 3 or 4 chapters of that done. I would also like to
add a few more chapters of my vocabulary book (maybe 2?).

Русский:
Goals: First of all, I would like to start by saying that I finished chapter 1 of Princeton Russian. I will continue on
to Chapter 2, and continually review chapter one within this next week. I am familiar with all the vocabulary from
chapter 1, although some of the vocabulary I have not entered from the later lessons. I would like to make an
attempt to COMPLETE chapter 2 by the end of the week, although it does not seem entirely possible. We’ll see
how my week plays out.

Polski:
Goals: I haven’t done Polish in a while, so I’d like to review chapters 1-4, and clean up anything in that section.
That’s mainly what I am doing this week. If I have time I’ll do chapter 5.

Well...time to get started :/.
1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 50 of 77
06 March 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Week of 2/27/11

What I accomplished...not much, but better than nothing.

Deutsch:
I didn't post in Lang 8, however I did hand in my Tagebuch for German class, so I suppose it's somewhat like
a Lang 8 entry. I read and followed along with the newer Assimil book (which I found the audio for :). I didn't
read anything from "Der Seher des Pharao" or Lenz, although I did translate half of a really long article from
zeit.de about what's going on in Libya (it's from the beginning of the week.) My goals of next week will
probably include to finish it, and get half of another one done, and actually read some "Seher des Pharao"
and "Lenz".

Русский:
I didn't delve into any Chapter 2 stuff, however I fully reviewed Chapter 1, and have put it to rest. My view
on all this review makes me feel like I'm not learning anything, which probably fuels my procrastination.
However, the Princeton course moves quickly, so I feel as if I'll be challenged in a few chapters or so, seeing
as there is a growing amount of vocabulary that I didn't know before.

Polski: I did accomplish everything needed for Polish. I just feel as if I didn't L-R some of the dialogs
enough, so I'm going to probably make bilingual texts of ALL my dialogs from that book, and make it into
somewhat of an Assimil type situation for when conventional study gets me down.

Farsi and Swahili are reactivated after their weeklong hiatus, and I will be posting my goals post for the week
of the 6th of March in no more than two hours.

I actually feel like this week was somewhat successful, even though I didn't accomplish all of my goals.
Perhaps next week will be the same, the only difference being that I accomplish more :).

Edited by ruskivyetr on 06 March 2011 at 7:55pm

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 51 of 77
06 March 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Week of 3/6/11

Before I begin my goals, I'd like to address my Anki status:
I have not done much Anki in the past few weeks, therefore causing my reviews to slowly climb. I have 1,285
reviews (which I know is not a lot). My goal this week is to somehow bring that down to 0, and then make a
point of doing at least SOME Anki everyday.

Deutsch:
Goals: This week, I'd actually like to try and write in Lang 8, something I didn't accomplish last week. This
week I'd also like to make some headway in "Der Seher des Pharao". My treat for doing that will be to spend
a day doing just Anki (this serves a double purpose, seeing as my reviews for German are the highest). I'd
also like to translate some Lenz, and hopefully after that do some L-R (it is not translated, so I must do it
myself). I'm not making the L-R a goal, just a little plus if I get a sizable amount of the translation done. I'd
also like to finish translating this article about what's going on in Libya. It's rather long, so I didn't finish it
last week. If I do finish it, I'd like to try and start another one. I'd also like to do some L-R on Assimil lessons
1-12, which I was planning on doing last week, but I only got to lesson 14.

Русский:
Goals: I'd like to get at least 4 lessons done in Chapter 2 of Princeton Russian. This means that I will
complete lessons 12, 13, 14, and 15. If I do finish them, I will treat myself by doing one more.

My Russian studies actually feel somewhat empty. It's one of my major languages, yet I only have one
resource that I'm currently using. I feel as if I should use Cortina, although I'm not particularly sure. If I end
up taking Cortina back as a minor source of study, I'd probably continue on lesson 8 (where I left off), and
review most of the first part of the book. I really liked the method, it was just a bit too long per chapter.

I'll make a decision by tomorrow and post here about it :). I had actually lost my Cortina book for a while,
and only just recently found it, but there are pages missing, so I may have to order a new one. Oh well, it's
only 10 dollars :).

Polski:
Goals: My goals this week are to create bilingual texts of all of the dialogs so far in my Spoken World Polish
book. I'd like to get at least lessons 1-3 done. 4 would be an added bonus. I'd also like to complete lesson
5 of Spoken World. I feel too as if my Polish studies are not supplemented enough, so I'm going to search UZ
translations and see what I can use. I also may use my Colloquial Polish. I have the audio and book,
although I don't particularly want to use it as I already have a conventional method that is much better than
colloquial (my Spoken World book).

فارسی
Goals: This week, I'd just like to catch up and review on my Farsi. This means that I want to just review and
make sure that I'm comfortable in everything I've learned so far. So I will review lessons 1-4 in the next
week. I'd like to review all the dialogs (perhaps I will create bilingual texts for this one too), and I'd like to
just do some of the grammar exercises, seeing where I stand.

Kiswahili:
Before I state my goals, I'd just like to say I'm disappointed with my progress in Swahili. I decided last week
that I will use the older version of "Teach Yourself Swahili" instead of Spoken World. I can get it for free on
UZ Translations. Perhaps in the summer I will get a copy of Spoken World Swahili, when I will hopefully be
done with most of the Spoken World books that I am using right now. My goal for this week is complete at
least the first 2 lessons in TY Swahili.

Let's see if I can get all of this done :).

Until next time...

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 52 of 77
30 March 2011 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Okay...time to update a little.

To anyone who reads this log, I'd just like to write about why I've been absent for the past few weeks, and
recent language changes.

Two weeks ago during standardized testing, I vomited blood after one of my exams. Other than feeling
freaked out, I wasn't in too much pain, so I ignored it until after school. After it happened a second time, I
spoke to my mother, and we went to the hospital. I had not been vomiting blood, but coughing it up (as in it
came from my lungs not my stomach). Apparently the two are often confused seeing as how it feels similar.
The doctors gave me blood thickening medication to help stop the bleeding, and I was discharged from the
hospital after the bleeding significantly stopped. It has happened twice since, the last time being Saturday,
so I've been feeling a lot better, seeing as how blood isn't coming out of my mouth randomly. I've been
revisiting, making sure everything is okay (4 revisits including the two extra times I was rushed back to the
hospital when it happened again.) According to the doctor, I shouldn't be doing active stuff (like track, which
started last week), although I have been anyways. I have also lost a lot of blood, so working, schoolwork,
and track piled high on low levels of energy and feeling like crap isn't exactly my idea of an ideal couple of
weeks.

So, I have not worked with many languages, and I am currently going to put everything on hold until this
weekend, when I can finally recuperate and begin with my language studies again.

As to my change from Georgian to Icelandic: I don't know why, I just decided to poke around with Icelandic
this past week. It was at first harmless, and I didn't mean to be making a big deal about it, until I had a
realization that I really like it, and I want to learn it. I have already completed the first chapter of Colloquial
Icelandic, and a few books are currently en route to my location to supplement my studies. I don't really
have any goals (just to complete the two books in a timely fashion). I kind of want to visit Iceland in the near
future, which is a high possibility seeing as how flights to there are cheaper than they are to Germany.
WHOOHOO ICELAND. Anyways, besides that, I'm just excited to begin another Germanic language :D. I listed
it as Studying on and off because this is just a little experiment :).

fortheo
United States
Joined 4980 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 53 of 77
30 March 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Good log! I also have a lot of interest in Icelandic, so it will be fun to see how you progress.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5500 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 54 of 77
30 March 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to hear about your difficulties over the last few weeks. I hope you feel much better soon, and Icelandic is a fascinating language to take on (I always wanted to visit Reykjavik for a weekend and chill out in a geothermal spa). :)

Edited by Teango on 30 March 2011 at 1:00pm

Kounotori
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5288 days ago

136 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 55 of 77
30 March 2011 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Ruskivyetr, I'm sorry to hear that about your health. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I think it would be best to heed your doctor's orders and rest for another week or two or so, especially since you've lost so much blood. Giving your body time to recuperate is extremely important right now.

Good luck on your language studies! I've also wanted to learn Icelandic myself for a long time, but sadly my other language commitments have made studying it difficult.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 56 of 77
31 March 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Thank you everybody for your condolences! I actually felt really good today, and after practice I felt strangely
energized...weird. ANYWAYS:

I'm SUPER excited to learn Icelandic, and I'm hoping I can take it far. I've made an Anki deck for it and
everything :D. My Beginner's Icelandic book actually JUST arrived today. I'm also talking to my parents about
letting me stay in a hostel in Reykjavík this summer, seeing as how airfare is EXTREMELY affordable. I've been
working my butt of this year (even though I have to have work papers seeing as I'm only 15), but it'll definitely
be worth it if my parents let me go to Iceland with my sister or something.

@Teango: I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Bláa Lónið (the Blue Lagoon). Just seems like my type of
vacation...outdoorsy and EVERYTHING :D.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version