Nu, pogodi! ( Russian study-and-click )

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
96 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 11 12 Next >>
darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5880 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 73 of 96
01 April 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
That five minutes will quickly grow to twenty minutes after a few weeks :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6197 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 74 of 96
01 April 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
The power of procrastination is strong in this one!

Yes, it's amazing just how creative you can get when you don't want to do start something. I even ended up sorting out boxes of pens by colour and fixing shelves that didn't need fixing, Heaven help me!.

The strange thing, however, is that once you DO start (even if the intention is just to touch base with a language for 5 minutes), it's actually so much easier and more fun than anticipated.

In fact, I found myself enjoying the little session so much, that before I knew it, 5 minutes had already turned into an hour or more.

Ohh yeah, I can totally relate to this! The only good thing about this kind of procrastrination is that it tends to tidy up the appartment a bit, and sometimes even take care of the dishes. :)

I have a constant procrastrination issue when it comes to Scriptorium. I just can't seem to touch it for days and weeks, but as soon as I write one single pen stroke, the Incredible-Happy-Fun-Time™ is unleashed. 1 minute=1.5 hours; talk about exponential reward.

It seems like you've managed to break out of the inertia now. I thoroughly enjoy following your progress. Just keep at it and you'll soon see that those elusive Russian words will come to you by themselves. :)

Teango wrote:
I was sorely tempted to claim basic fluency in Russian for APRIL FOOL'S DAY (wishful thinking, eh)... ;)

Actually, I watched Korean television for the first time in my life today. I was amazed that I, only by using inference from my Japanese knowledge, was able to understand everything that was said in a fast-speech tv-show. Wow! I never thought it could be so easy to make the transistion between two Asian languages...................................................

;D   ;D

Edited by M. Medialis on 01 April 2011 at 8:58pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 76 of 96
03 April 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I was sorely tempted to claim basic fluency in Russian for APRIL FOOLS' DAY (wishful thinking, eh)... ;)

I was planning on doing something similar if I had had time. I was going to set all of my current target languages to "not studying" and add in a bunch of random ones like Greenlandic, Xhosa, Hmong, Nahuatl, Sinhalese, and Corsican and claim that I wasn't going to get any practical use out of Japanese, Russian, German, etc in "real life." :P

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 77 of 96
26 April 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Days 24-25

Study-and-click: 3.8 hours (82.6 total)
Current texts: Эхо Москвы, "Культурный шок" (podcasts); Евгений Замятин, "Мы" (novel)
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 326 (5,743 total)
Current estimated reading level: 80% (B1)

Oops - broke my daily study regime and lost it down a plughole for several weeks! So here I am starting over again with link number one in a bright and shiny new chain...

I've been carrying out a few experiments recently as well to try and improve on my vocabulary acquisition. From my tall tatty top hat of bizarre ideas, I pulled out i) making machine translated interlinear text (that is, until Google throttled my access), ii) exhausting my online hover-over dictionary (can you believe it, my Babel fish broke down and ended up virtually floating upside down!), and iii) playing around with automatically highlighting reoccurring connecting phrases. I also tried out a variety of transcription and audio editing software, with a view to controlling audio files better and having a go at backtracking (I haven't got around to this just yet, but it's on my to-do list).

And the initial results...well, quite disappointing really! The interlinear text was more distracting than useful and only helped to reduce my focus on Russian words. It's a bit like having subtitles in a movie...no matter how hard you try, you always end up looking at the captions and missing out on part of the film. And as for the translations offered by Yahoo and Google, they were pretty abysmal much of the time, both at the word and phrase level, which left me feeling generally lost and demotivated. The biggest shock, however, was that the hover-over mechanism didn't really help much either, and actually contributed to slowing down my overall progress in the end.

One good thing that came out of all this was that the automatically highlighted connectors proved to be a useful additional feature on the whole, helping me identify and recall commonly repeated phrases, and much to my amusement, revealing how much people use these again and again (often several strung together in a row) to borrow time throughout dialogue!

When I eventually returned to my tried-and-tested methodology with trusty old paper and pencil, simply as a control, I discovered that my efficiency skyrocketed by 200-300% over these various new online techniques. This was the most surprising result of all, as I had hoped to improve on my overall approach and save myself some time aligning and printing off parallel texts in the future. But no such luck it seems, and I largely put this down so far to three possibilities: 1) the podcasts I used for my experiments from the Эхо Москвы website were simply too fast or different for me, 2) having an accurate man-made translation is key to success, or 3) parallel texts force the reader to try and memorise words across columns, whilst quickly switching between analysis and alignment, which facilitates overall recall. Who knows...perhaps it's a combination of all three, but for now I'm putting the experiments aside, and will take my chances with the better devil I know. ;)

Edited by Teango on 02 May 2011 at 9:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6197 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 78 of 96
26 April 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Very interesting experiments indeed! Very nice read.

Teango wrote:
(that is, until Google throttled my access)

Note to myself: never try to outsmart Google. ;)

Teango wrote:
(can you believe it, my Babel fish broke down and ended up virtually floating upside down!)

HAHHAHA! Made me laugh! :D

btw, have you tried the Russian ABBYY Lingvo pop-up dictionary?

Teango wrote:
3) parallel texts force the reader to try and memorise words across columns, whilst quickly switching between analysis and alignment, which facilitates overall recall.

I haven't really tried interlinear texts for Russian, but I found that they work very well for me on Japanese. Perhaps the kanji recognition element and the absence of spaces between words create a difference?

I also feel that the hover-over dictionaries help my Japanese LR a lot, but this also could be due to the kanji factor (I am still finding it a bit hard to accept that the Japanese words are actually......you know......words.., Russian is more like   a   'normal'   language   :) :)

Edited by M. Medialis on 26 April 2011 at 11:24pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 79 of 96
01 May 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 26

Study-and-click: 2.6 hours (85.2 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 306 (6,049 total)
Current estimated reading level: 80% (B1)

Reading test score: 80% (-7%, "Дневной дозор", Часть вторая, Глава 5, 300 words).

See my weekly log for more details.

@Medialis
I don't have the Russian ABBYY Lingvo dictionary but I do use FineReader Express for OCR, which works very well so far. So I might just give it a try.

I can see how a hover-over dictionary and interlinear text would come in very handy with Japanese, and I couldn't imagine starting off without those little kana over the kanji or at least an extra column in my parallel texts. As for Russian, I've already been round the block a bit and know quite a few words already, so it just seemed to slow down my overall progress. I guess if the translations were manual rather than automatic is could have been a very different story.

Edited by Teango on 02 May 2011 at 9:38pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 80 of 96
02 May 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 27

Study-and-click: 2.1 hours (87.3 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 177 (6,226 total)
Estimated reading level: 80% (B1)

Дурачок сново берется за дело (this little fool is back on the case)! O.O

Edited by Teango on 02 May 2011 at 10:04pm

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version