Joined 6197 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 89 of 96
16 May 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
M. Medialis wrote:
The Алёнка picture is truly epic! I am trying to find words to describe it..it's a Russian masterpiece.. :)

If you liked little Алёнушка, then you'll probably love her website. ;)

I'm in love! Time to join the "Клуб любителей шоколада". :)

(which means the Chocolate Lover's Club - but it sounds even more lovely in Russian).
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 90 of 96
14 August 2011 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Several months have passed since I did any study-and-click, and my last reading score here back in May was approximately 83% (B1).

I've recently decided to try and pick up from where I left off for the 6 Week Challenge (which started on 1st August 2011).

After just a couple of weeks, and a new wave of about 7-8 hours of study-and-click after 3 months' absence, I'm happy to report I've hit my next milestone, and achieved a reading score in Russian of 90% with a contemporary adult book ("Дневной дозор", pt. 3, ch. 4) for the first time in my life! :)

Hours spent studying Russian this year: 191
Words I've clicked: 7,435 (+737 new words over the last fortnight)
Estimated reading level: 90% (B1+) +7% Level up!

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2011 at 3:46pm

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6080 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 91 of 96
14 August 2011 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Now, that's a great many clicks!! And a big step towards the tempting goal so many of us are striving for: reading native books for real.

And when you get there, by the way, don't forget to profit from all your invested work and actually do that (reading books, that is) before throwing yourself into the next study-and-click project ;-) It seems like like I'm rarely reading novels in Swedish/English/German these days - and if I do, they mainly serve as L1 support for L-R.

To quote a well-known bot: Good job! Keep going!

/aloysius

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 92 of 96
14 August 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
@aloysius
Yeah, I'm not far off 8,000 clicks now! However it's a shame I had such big gaps in my Russian study programme in comparison to Swedish and Spanish. It makes me wonder how many clicks it would have taken if I'd been able to put in a good straight of consistent hours...

And you're right, it's so important to maintain languages once you've put in the initial effort to build up a healthy foundation. Hopefully, they'll be quicker to brush up next time round though. I really look forward to getting back in touch with my dusty shelf of neglected lovelorn foreign novels, once I've got somewhere in Russian. And I hope this will be sooner rather than later, but so far Russian has proved to be a relatively unsparing taskmistress. ;)

Edited by Teango on 14 August 2011 at 10:30pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6197 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 93 of 96
15 August 2011 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Hey, hitting 90 % on a Сергей Лукьяненко-book (=name of the author) is fantastic! After having read the first chapters of Геном, my impression is that he likes to paint with words and uses a quite big vocabulary. You have many reasons to be proud of yourself! :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 94 of 96
17 August 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
@Medialis
Thanks mate! It's certainly comforting that someone else finds Лукьяненко less than straightforward. And from what I can gather so far, he seems to particularly like getting out those poetic paint brushes at the beginning of each new chapter (which is where I take my reading tests). Maybe I should choose another book, but hey, I'd only be cheating myself in the end. ;)

Edited by Teango on 17 August 2011 at 7:28pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 95 of 96
28 September 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Total hours spent studying Russian this year: 242
Words I've clicked: The truth is, I've lost count (lol).
Estimated reading level: 91% (B2) +1% Level up!

Edited by Teango on 28 September 2011 at 2:23pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 96 of 96
26 January 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Update

"Nu pogodi" enters another year, but the hope of one day reaching a comfortable C2 level in Russian reading (approx. 98% comprehension) has far from dwindled away to nothing but a forgotten dream.

In 2011, I hauled up my reading level from 58% to 91% (roughly from A1+ to B2 level), and the toughest road to tread was surpassing the initial mid-intermediate plateau, and getting from a low road of 80 percents to the new high roads of 90 percents in reading comprehension tests.

In 2012, I hope to take my Russian reading to the next level and reach C1 (approx. 95%) by the end of the year. However, having done little or no reading in Russian over the last 4 months since my last test in September 2011, my overall level has once again slid back down, this time to 86% according to a quick test I did this afternoon, so I'll have some catching up to do first.

I don't plan to return directly to listening and reading over the next few months, as I have some other language projects currently on the boil, but will pop back here from time to time to let you know of any new progress made towards this goal. :)

Edited by Teango on 26 January 2012 at 7:47pm

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version