2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 9 of 96
07 January 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 2

Study-and-click: 4 hours (7 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 193 (346 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 174 (317 total)
Reading test score: 70% (--, "Дневной дозор", Глава 2, 100 words)
Current estimated reading level: A2

I awoke today with words like "государство "and "интеграл" swimming around my head. I could clearly hear the narrator's voice repeating odd words from time to time, and took this as a good sign that the Russian I learnt yesterday must have been sinking in during sleep. I'm also finding that the little knowledge I already have of prefixes comes in really handy for identifying word stems and guessing new words in context.

@aloysius
It sounds like you were in the company of international royalty all day yesterday. ;) The Russian audiobook I used for "The Little Prince" has several narrators and music in the background (the author is read by Геннадий Бортников, and the little prince is Артур Клановский).

@Préposition

Préposition wrote:
The words that you click, do you remember them, do you research them, learn them, or are you just familiarising yourself with them to be able to recognise them quicker next time?

Part of the beauty of this method is that I don't try too hard to remember. I just cross-reference the meaning of Russian words I don't understand using the parallel English translation for a couple of pages. Then I go through the section again a couple of times (first listening and reading, and then just listening), and click any new words I didn't know before and now do. I find that the ongoing story gives me plenty of natural review, and it's a real thrill to see all these new words popping up again and again later on in the text and realise that I can now understand them. You can probably get a better picture of the overall process in this post.

Préposition wrote:
Had you ever used this technique for Russian before, or is it the first time you're applying it?

I tried to give Russian a go last summer using dialogues from the Princeton Russian course, but unfortunately health issues got in the way. Then I wanted to try again later in the year, but with moving from Germany to England, I couldn't quite find the time. So I'm hoping third time lucky here! ;)

Préposition wrote:
Were you expecting such a result, or did you believe it'd be higher/lower?

When I first tried to make a go of it in July 2010, I initially scored 50%, which rose up to a lucky 83% after a hit-and-miss week (approx. 20 hours). And the last time I tried to fit in a few hours of study-and-click, around the beginning of December, my reading score had already fallen to a paltry 71%. So I'm not really surprised that my reading skills in Russian have slumped even lower over Christmas, especially having only put in 4 hours' review over half a year. However I reckon the few hours I put in yesterday must have dabbed a bit of oil on the rust and awoken some sleeping vocabulary. I also suspect the prolog in my testing novel is a little more difficult than successive chapters; however, I definitely feel like I'm starting to follow the text much better already.

Préposition wrote:
I'm just curious, as I've got a couple of bilingual stories and was wondering if the method would work with me!

Let me know how you get on if you decide to give it a try, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Udachi! :)

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2011 at 10:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4954 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 10 of 96
07 January 2011 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Nu, pogodi! - Day 2

Study-and-click: 4 hours (7 total)
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 193 (346 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 174 (317 total)
Reading test score: 70% (--, "Дневной дозор", Глава 2, 100 words)

I awoke today with words like "государство "and "интеграл" swimming around my head. I could clearly hear the
narrator's voice repeating odd words from time to time, and took this as a good sign that the Russian I learnt
yesterday must have been sinking in during sleep. I'm also finding that the little knowledge I already have of
prefixes comes in really handy for identifying word stems and guessing new words in context.

@aloysius
It sounds like you were in the company of international royalty all day yesterday. ;) The Russian audiobook I used
for "The Little Prince" has several narrators and music in the background (the author is read by Геннадий
Бортников, and the little prince is Артур Клановский).

@Préposition

Préposition wrote:
The words that you click, do you remember them, do you research them, learn them, or are
you just familiarising yourself with them to be able to recognise them quicker next time?

Part of the beauty of this method is that I don't try too hard to remember. I just cross-reference the
meaning of Russian words I don't understand using the parallel English translation for a couple of pages. Then I
go through the section again a couple of times (first listening and reading, and then just listening), and click any
new words I didn't know before and now do. I find that the ongoing story gives me plenty of natural review, and
it's a real thrill to see all these new words popping up again and again later on in the text and realise that I can
now understand them. You can probably get a better picture of the overall process in this learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23190&PN=1& TPN=2#265546">post.

Préposition wrote:
Had you ever used this technique for Russian before, or is it the first time you're applying it?

I tried to give Russian a go last summer using dialogues from the Princeton Russian course, but unfortunately
health issues got in the way. Then I wanted to try again later in the year, but with moving from Germany to
England, I couldn't quite find the time. So I'm hoping third time lucky here! ;)

Préposition wrote:
Were you expecting such a result, or did you believe it'd be higher/lower?

When I first tried to make a go of it in July 2010, I initially scored 50%, which rose up to a lucky 83% after a hit-
and-miss week (approx. 20 hours). And the last time I tried to fit in a few hours of study-and-click, around the
beginning of December, my reading score had already fallen to a paltry 71%. So I'm not really surprised that my
reading skills in Russian have slumped even lower over Christmas, especially having only put in 4 hours' review
over half a year. However I reckon the few hours I put in yesterday must have dabbed a bit of oil on the rust and
awoken some sleeping vocabulary. I also suspect the prolog in my testing novel is a little more difficult than
successive chapters; however, I definitely feel like I'm starting to follow the text much better already.

Préposition wrote:
I'm just curious, as I've got a couple of bilingual stories and was wondering if the method
would work with me!

Let me know how you get on if you decide to give it a try, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you
may have. Udachi! :)

Thanks for the answers! I'll have a better look at it, but it definitely sounds like something I could do with, so I'll
let you know how it goes, and I'll keep on I on Ну, погоди!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 11 of 96
08 January 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 3

Study-and-click: 3 hours (10 total)
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 122 (468 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 137 (454 total)
Reading test score: 78% (+8%, "Дневной дозор", Глава 3, 100 words)
Current estimated reading level: A2

I jumped up a few more per cent in my reading scores today, and am looking forward to opening my birthday presents tomorrow (who knows, there could even be a language book inside one of them)! :)

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2011 at 10:13pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5807 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 96
09 January 2011 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
Birthday, eh? Well, this has nothing to do with Russian, but you posted the world's most bizarre birthday song ever for me on my log on my birthday, and it's payback time!

Sorry it's only English (you could translate it!) but it's the weirdest one I could find on short notice:

Once a year we celebrate
With stupid hats and plastic plates
The fact that you were able to make
Another trip around the sun

And the whole clan gathers round
And gifts and laughter do abound
And we let out a joyful sound
And sing that stupid song

Happy birthday!
Now you're one year older!
Happy birthday!
Your life still isn't over!
Happy birthday!
You did not accomplish much
But you didn't die this year
I guess that's good enough

So let's drink to your fading health
And hope you don't remind yourself
The chance of finding fame and wealth
Decrease with every year

Does it feel like you're doing laps
And eating food and taking naps
And hoping that someday perhaps
Your life will hold some cheer

Happy birthday!
What have you done that matters?
Happy birthday!
You're starting to get fatter
Happy birthday!
It's downhill from now on
Try not to remind yourself
Your best years are all gone

If cryogenics were all free
Then you could live like Walt Disney
And live for all eternity
Inside a block of ice

But instead your time is set
This is the only life you get
And though it hasn't ended yet
Sometimes you wish it might

Happy birthday!
You wish you had more money
Happy birthday!
Your life's so sad it's funny
Happy birthday!
How much more can you take?
But your friends are hungry
So just cut the stupid cake.

Such lovely sentiments! Of course none of it is true for you - except, I hope, the cake-eating part. Listen here:

Happy Birthday from the Arrogant Worms

Someone had a lot of fun with clip art, but it is very unnerving that the year count stops at 37!

May there be an abundance of language-nerdy gifts, much productive study, the reaching of proficiency, and all other good things! Resume your diligent and inspiring studies now . . . if you can!

3 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 13 of 96
09 January 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Hi Teango, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and enjoy opening your presents tomorrow. Hopefully there is an exciting language book or Russian novel inside. :)

С днём рождения! Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! ¡Feliz cumpleaños! Grattis på födelsedagen! お誕生日おめでとうございます! Breithlá sona duit!

And even though you haven't studied it this year...

Χρόνια πολλά!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5174 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 96
09 January 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Gratulerer med dagen, Teango!! May the day bring you lots of nice presents, and much deserved joy and happiness.

Kind regards, Cristina

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6319 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 96
09 January 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
С Днем Рождения! Всего наилучшего!

About the studies: what is your source of parallel texts?

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6197 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 16 of 96
10 January 2011 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Hey Teango!!!!

If I could, I would buy you a humongous birthday cake, filled with an army of Cossack dancers. When the dancers jumps/spins out of the cake, I would storm into your appartment dressed in one of of those bear costumes.

The whole spectacle would culminate in a 24-hour balalaika Kalinka marathon to celebrate your big day!

;D

But I guess I just have to resort to the mainstream approach:

HAPPPY BIIRTHDAY!!! You're great!

Hope your day and your year will become the best ever!

//M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 10 January 2011 at 12:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version