96 messages over 12 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 11 12 Next >>
Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4963 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 17 of 96
10 January 2011 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Deiz ha bloaz laouen dit Teango! Hope you had a good one!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5405 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 18 of 96
12 January 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
@meramarina
I love the song - it sums up my year perfectly haha! But I agree it's a tad disturbing that the year count ends at 37 in the video, and I'm slowly starting to accept the realisation that I'm a little past it for winning Wimbledon now. ;)

@ellasevia
Ευχαριστώ! No Russian novels behind the colourful "Christmas?!" wrapping paper sadly, but I did get some cool non-language related gifts and a little money that will no doubt end up being spent on Russian goodies. :D

@Solfrid Cristin
Thanks for the lovely wishes, and all the best with getting to grips with the beautiful art of Cyrillic handwriting (little tip: leave your "pochta" book on the coffee table or in your bag, so you can try out a new letter every now and again in those rarest of free moments; a bit of Scriptorium will also work wonders).

@dragonfly
I aligned the novel I'm studying at the moment with the help of a cool programme that Doviende suggested recently called hunalign. Acquiring resources for creating parallel texts, however, can often be a real headache. Luckily, there are helpful souls out there who can point you in the right direction, and they all definitely deserve a slice of my birthday cake (although I wouldn't advise it, as it's probably a little stale and largely nibbled away by now). Just off the top of my head, I'd recommend stopping by MarcoDiAngelo's website or consulting the excellent lists of resources compiled by Atamagaii/Siomotteikiru and Volte on this forum. And if your bag is Japanese, then you'll just love the links provided by Buonaparte and Sheetz on the "Reviewing the Kanji" website.

@M. Medialis
Wow...what an amazing image! Your mind is wondrously inventive, Medialis, it must be like Willy Wonker's Chocolate Factory in there. :) I'm a damn fool for not making you my official birthday organiser this year! I'm still chuckling away at the idea of the abrupt bear and background balalaikas... :D

@Préposition
Two Celtic languages in one day (including ellasevia's Irish above) - hooray! That's the first time I've ever seen Breton written down too. It'll come as no surprise that I'm quickly looking up some phrases right now to see how Breton compares with Irish and Cornish: Mersi bras deoh. :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5405 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 19 of 96
13 January 2011 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 4

Study-and-click: 3 hours (13 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 147 (615 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 142 (596 total)
Reading test score: 73% (-5%, "Дневной дозор", Глава 4, 100 words including a tough poem)
Current estimated reading level: A2

I've been inundated with a whole carousel of domestic delights over the last few days, but hope to get back on the study wagon now. I was particularly pleased to recognise the phrase "мирно дремавшего" in my reading test today, and am getting excited as my current lego meisterwerk is nearing completion. ;)

A couple of questions on fun Russian resources (all suggestions very welcome):

1. I'm thinking of buying Vladimir Sorokin's novel "Очередь" (The Queue), but was unable to find some matching audio. With lots of contemporary dialogue, it looks like it would fill in some gaps and make excellent material for listening and reading later on. Does anybody know if an audiobook exists for this text?

2. Two of my favourite films of all time are the classic Soviet romcoms "Ирония судьбы" and "Служебный роман". Other titles that deserve an honourable mention include:

"Иван Басильевич меняет профессию"
"Бриллиантовая рука"
"Усатый Нянь"
"Кавказская пленница"
"Белое солнце пустыни"
"Берегись автомобиля"
"Ширли-Мырли"
"Чародеи"
"Кин-дза-дза" (includes some Georgian, I think, and a little Plukanian too ;) )

What other Russian comedies do you think would be good to add to this list?

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2011 at 10:14pm

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6328 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 20 of 96
14 January 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Firstly, thanks for your advice.
Secondly, have you seen "Полосатый рейс", "Операция Ы", "Джентельмены удачи"?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5405 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 22 of 96
14 January 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 5

Study-and-click: 5 hours (18 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 253 (868 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 245 (841 total)
Reading test score: 77% (+4%, "Дневной дозор", Глава 5, 100 words)
Current estimated reading level: A2

@legoland
Nice link - spasibo!

@dragonfly
Thanks for these titles. I recall unsuccessfully trying to get hold of a copy of "Операция Ы" and "Джентельмены удачи" a little while back, so I should really try again soon. I hadn't heard of Полосатый рейс" before though - I'll look it up now.

And if anyone can think of some more Russian comedies, please feel free to add your recommendations to the list... ;)

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2011 at 10:14pm

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4971 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 23 of 96
16 January 2011 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I'll be following along with your log and rooting for you. Go Teango! Good luck :D :D

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version