teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 41 of 96
10 February 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
@dragonfly
Удивительная находка - большое спасибо, стрекоза!! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 42 of 96
11 February 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 15

Study-and-click: 3.5 hours (62.5 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 219 (3,848 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 182 (3,259 total)
Current estimated reading level: B1

I've been running a little experiment over the past few days to see whether repeating some of my studying and clicking steps can make any difference to the number of words I learn per session. I've also kept track of my motivation throughout, as I believe this plays a key part in my ability to focus during study.

Here's a simplified table of my findings (where I study and click 1 page at a time) - just click to enlarge:

(Pink indicates the lowest score in a column; green the highest. WPM simply means "words per minute".)

The experiment revealed that the best results, both in terms of words learnt per minute and motivation during the session, were achieved after 2 study cycles and 1 L&R click.

A second cycle of studying effectively gave me more time for review and resulted in acquiring several more new words in a fraction of the time. This left me feeling more confident and motivated for the clicking stage, improving my overall ability to retrieve and review the meaning of these new words on each page.

Tomorrow, I'm going to put this into action and try the study step twice for each section. I'm hoping this should lead to learning many more words. :)

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2011 at 10:20pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 44 of 96
11 February 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Nu, pogodi! - Day 16

Study-and-click: 1.5 hours (64 total)
Current text: Евгений Замятин, "Мы"
New words clicked whilst listening and reading: 170 (4,018 total)
New words clicked whilst listening only: 153 (3,412 total)
Reading test score: 87% (+3%, "Дневной дозор", Часть вторая, Глава 3, 300 words)
Current estimated reading level: B1

I reached my next target of 4,000 words today and recognised lots of new words during my reading test that I wouldn't have known before. However, even after another 30 hours of Russian and doubling my passive vocabulary, I'm still cruising below 90%....arghhh, the sheer frustration of it all!!! Russian often seems such an impassable snow-capped cliff, and at moments like this I just feel like a three-legged mountain goat who slipped over on the ice. >.<

Edited by Teango on 11 March 2011 at 10:20pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5174 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 45 of 96
12 February 2011 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
arghhh, the sheer frustration of it all!!! Russian often seems such an impassable snow-capped cliff, and at moments like this I just feel like a three-legged mountain goat who slipped over on the ice. >.<

That pretty much sums up my felings most of the time too. :-)

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5880 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 46 of 96
12 February 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Russian often seems such an impassable snow-capped cliff, and at moments like this I just feel like a three-legged mountain goat who slipped over on the ice. >.<

Thats sums up my present feelings with it as well at the moment, though I often feel like I'm tap dancing on quicksand on good days.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 48 of 96
13 February 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
@Buttons
Thanks for the encouragement...Russian's a tough one alright. Another useful benefit of being a goat, apart from enjoying eating everything, is unusually stubborn resolve...so I will climb this mountain, even if it even if I have to tap-dance on hooves all the way up!

@Solfrid Cristin
One day we'll both be able to just sit back and watch Russian movies comfortably with a bag of popcorn. Всё будет хорошо! :)

@darkwhispersdal
I was laughing for a good while after I read that old expression...yes, I can tell you know exactly what it's like too. Some days I'm a twinkle-toed gazelle on quicksand and I manage to sink in fast and then move onto something else, others days I just flop around like an elephant and spend ages in word-weary wallow, trying to occasionally grab onto a nearby branch with my trunk and pull myself out. Either way, I need to start building a bridge across this thing...and fast. ;)

Edited by Teango on 13 February 2011 at 9:44pm

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version