68 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
LebensForm
Austria
Joined 5000 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 49 of 68
11 July 2011 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Yes, I agree with all of you that posted above. And yes, German is a beautiful language, I feel like I can express myself in ways in German that I couldn't do in English, I feel the language is a bit more logical than English at times. And as far as the Nazi topic is concerned, I use to hate admitting I was born in Germany because of the stigma it carries like already expressed. But that was years ago, it has taken me a while to be proud of who I am regardless of other people's harsh stereotypes. Again, I can't express enough the importance of distinguishing the German language from Germany's dark past... that's just it, it's the past. But I think it is safe to say that we are all in agreement on our position of the whole matter.

Again, I am who I am, and no, I do not make any apologies for it. Thanks to all for providing a good discussion :)
1 person has voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6254 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 50 of 68
11 July 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Over here in Poland there is quite a bit of unwarranted xenophobia towards Germany and everything German in general, but that doesn't bother me the least. It's a quite useful language for doing business, although that's not the main reason for which I'm learning it. I don't really care what other people think anyway.

JLA
Triglot
France
Joined 4847 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 51 of 68
10 August 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
I think that, with the obvious exception of practical reasons (job requirement...), learning a language is a "love story" and you should never have to explain anyone why you are in love :)
German, like any other language I have ever heard can be ugly or beautiful depending on the circumstances (too many people who judge the German language ugly base themselves on war movies).
3 persons have voted this message useful

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5124 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 52 of 68
11 August 2011 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I got some looks from people at schul, especially the older generation, but nothing overt.

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4755 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 53 of 68
03 October 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Some people like computers, others like languages like German, I always think.
English and German are related though there is quite a distance.
I wonder, have people made jokes about wanting to be an Amish?
A friend of mine made that joke, I now realised some Amish communities speak German.
Of course, I do not intend any offense with this post.

Where I'm from, there are people (mostly football loving teenagers) who think Germany and everything related to it are (insert bad word here, if you want).
Others like me, like it because it's our sister language.
Germany is also the economic powerhouse of Europe.
If you want to do something in Europe, knowing German might always be helpfull.

EDIT:

My opinion about the nazi things is that it's just a lot of bogus.
All the people carrying Germany haven't witnessed the war.
Those who did, are retired and most are ashamed for what their country did.
It's been over 60 years now, let's forgive and move on, Germany has moved on as well.
That doesn't mean I'll forget the war, I'll always remember my countrymen and how they rebuild my country, but I don't hate Germany. I like those guys!
I'm learning it as well and I've been rediculed by some guys...they told me I was a Nazi. (NO offense intended!!!!!) That's just bullying in my opinion.

On this forum everybody will cheer you on, I"m sure of it! I will!

Good luck
Und viel spaB!

Edited by Remster on 03 October 2011 at 10:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4778 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 54 of 68
04 October 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Yes, German was the language of Hitler. It was also the language of Goethe, Schiller,
Mann, Einstein, and many other geniuses.

If these critics of learning German had an ounce of intelligence, they might actually
think about learning to at least read it themselves, and try to find out why the country
that produced Goethe, could also allow itself to be led by someone like the Austrian
corporal.

In doing so they might learn that abuse of power can, and does, happen anywhere, and has
nothing to do with what language you speak.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5541 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 55 of 68
07 October 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry you guys have all had such bad experiences with people criticizing your desire
to learn German. Where I live, everyone just takes Spanish and only the hardcore German
music lovers, the philosopher types, and people hoping to become engineers practice
German. Here, it tends to be viewed as exotic and respectable while speaking Spanish is
considered by some to be pandering to immigrant demands. Conclusion: people are weird...

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 5000 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 56 of 68
10 October 2011 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Lol, yes people are weird. It's been interesting reading about everyone's experiences here. And now at school here, there is only a handful, perhaps 11 of us who have declared German as a major or minor and it's nice going to the German house here and being able to speak German and not get strange looks lol. Lately, I really hanev't gotten wierd looks or any wierd comments. Lately it's been, if anything, "German major... I could see that" or "you're doing German, that's hot" which uhh ya apparently, me being German is that obvious, I'm adopted, and I don't think I look very German, despite being originally from there.... but ya I love Goethe and Lessing and so many more... good stuff. Has anyone read "Nathan der weise?"

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version