Nanoflare
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4750 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 57 of 68
12 October 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I haven't experienced much criticism, rather more odd looks and curiosity on why I would
learn such a language. They always tell me that I should learn a more popular language
like Spanish or French, but I tell them that I love German and people are confused as to
why xD.
1 person has voted this message useful

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4755 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 58 of 68
12 October 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Nanoflare wrote:
I haven't experienced much criticism, rather more odd looks and curiosity on why I would
learn such a language. They always tell me that I should learn a more popular language
like Spanish or French, but I tell them that I love German and people are confused as to
why xD.

I guess that's the difference with the U.S. where you're surrounded by miles and miles of English.
If I go even 200km in every direction (Except north, that's the sea) I'll end up in a foreign country.
:P
2 persons have voted this message useful

Median
Diglot
Sweden
gotmc.se
Joined 4743 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 59 of 68
12 October 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning German because i've fallen in love with how it sounds. I like the fact that
it's a lot harsher than other languages :P

Also studying Spanish at the same time, i must say German is more interesting.

ilcommunication
Diglot
United States
Joined 6642 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 60 of 68
15 October 2011 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I think every major language has its own stereotype. For German it's "harsh" and "ugly", at least in the US. It's not seen as very useful, either, so German-learners get confused looks. It is what it is...

But look on the bright side, at least it's not the "hey, isn't that a religion?!" reaction that you get with Hindi :D

On_the_road
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4706 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 61 of 68
19 November 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I haven´t really been criticized for learning German. Quite a few people in Sweden are still learning German even though Spanish probably is more popular as a third language nowadays. The only thing people have said that could be considered negative is that they don´t like German because of all the grammar.

Edited by On_the_road on 19 November 2011 at 4:26pm

Leipzig
Hexaglot
Wales
Joined 4753 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC2, Lowland Scots, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Welsh, Tok Pisin, German, Italian

Message 62 of 68
19 November 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm HOD of a secondary languages department where German is one of the languages
offered. A lot of the kids really like it, which is promising - as the clichés
associated with what is really a gorgeous tongue are tiresome and dated.

However, you get a few kids criticising it who don't want to learn German because 'it
will be scary' or 'they'll never go to visit the Nazis.' I used an example of what
modern German people can be like to try to persuade them that things are not how they
imagine them - how in younger days, I was stranded at Lübeck airport late at night,
only for a family to spot me, drive me into Hamburg and put me up for the night out of
the goodness of their hearts. I said to them that Nazi rule was one of history's most
loathsome developments, but that Germany has moved on, just as the UK has moved on from
putting Boers in concentration camps and such. Looking unsure, one of them paused for a
moment and said, 'they haven't changed. I've watched the Human Centipede.' My God..

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4827 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Dutch, Japanese

Message 63 of 68
21 November 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
No one at my school questions it as I already speak English plus knowing it already gets my grades up, and German doesn't sound harsh it sounds cool.

Edited by Rivso on 21 November 2011 at 12:13am

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5353 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 64 of 68
21 November 2011 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Where I live German is the third most popular language, but the second one most studied.
English of course is the first, but Spanish is the second most popular. Very few people
study it in college however, most just learn it from watching TV (soap opera), and at my
bookstore only look for Spanish courses merely to improve it, while for English, German
and then Italian and French courses most inquiries are by students of these languages as
well as those who are going abroad to countries where these languages are spoken or to do
business from here. Spanish is seen as a pastime language, while German as a business
language, so no one will criticize you for learning it, instead they'll see it as a very
smart thing to do.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version