Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
81 messages over 11 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 10 11 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 81
27 June 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
In Denmark everybody will learn English in school and possible one or two languages more. I don't say they all learn it to perfection, but they should learn what it is to learn a foreign language. And depending on how the teachers teach them they may even learn how to learn languages through methods which are available outside school.

I have to confess that I don't know much about the methods used in schools today, but I was at least equipped to start learning Italian and Spanish entirely by selfstudy in the early 60s before leaving elementary school. I used completely normal textbooks written by a couple named Kirchheiner with texts, vocabulary, drills and some grammar and pronunciation directives (but without audio). Besides I used the small collection of books in those languages at the library. Apart from the general dumbing-down of textbooks, anyone who tries to learn languages by homestudy nowadays will be much better equipped with materials than I was in the 60s, and still I learnt a couple of languages by homestudy - and well enough to used them during my interrail travels in the 70s. The main problem was the lack of auditive materials so I didn't learn to understand spoken Italian and Spanish until I actually travelled around in those countries. Any language learner nowadays can hear his/her languages through the internet so even that lame excuse has fallen away.

People may still choose to learn language through courses, but it is certainly possible to learn them through homestudy. So why those low success rates? Probably because you also count those who just by a book with a couple of CDs, but never get seriously involved (at least not beyond the first couple of weeks). And as far as I know success rates at evening schools aren't that high either.

Edited by Iversen on 27 June 2011 at 7:16pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5528 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 10 of 81
27 June 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
A year or so ago as a one-off I went to an Italian class. Having turned up early I was
introduced to the teacher who asked what I had been doing. At the time I was working
for the first time through Assimil and had taken it with me to show him. He scanned
through the book, obviously not familiar with it and I could see the cogs turning in
his head as to what you were mean't to do with it as on a quick glance it just looks
like a book full of dialogues, with no structure, drills etc.

When the other students arrived and took their places, the lessons began and over the
next hour and a half, we proceeded to talk entirely in English about whether we could
use the computers in another room, when we (they, I went once for obvious reasons)
would return after the Easter holidays, whether a certain verb was a transitive verb or
not and in all of this hardly utter any Italian and mainly listen to and wait for the
teacher as he constantly skimmed his dictionary for unknown words. The other students
had been going to the same class once or twice a week for over a year and they couldn't
say more than a few words, in broad local (to where I live) accents. What a joke. I
probably answered 99% of the questions asked by the teacher after hesitating to let the
others speak first and speaking when no one else did. In the short break we had when
everyone else went outside to smoke, I found out from the teacher that he had heard of
Michel Thomas but never used his courses, and that all of the Italian he knew had come
from attending an expensive immersion course in the country itself. All the people on
the course I attended that one time had bought a book costing about £20 (I later saw
the same book in my local library) and were paying quite a bit of cash to be on the
course (can't remember exactly how much but at the time I remember thinking they were
being ripped off).

I know the above may not exactly be the norm but when you see an article stating that
self study methods don't work and that classes are the only way to go it makes me
laugh.
13 persons have voted this message useful

Welltravelled
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5797 days ago

46 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 11 of 81
27 June 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I think it is normally far easier to find a good quality and effective home study course
than it is to find a teacher who can actually teach you the language effectively. Typical
night classes by themselves tend to be a waste of time. Of course if the only home study
course available was Rosetta Stone then we would all be in a lot of trouble.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 81
27 June 2011 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Self-learning methods do not provide motivation. That is the learner's job, and it's the most essential part of learning a language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 13 of 81
27 June 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I think it's good to be aware of our own biases as a community of largely self-taught learners. It's natural that as a
group we'd be inclined to defend self-teaching against its critics.

Having said that, among the most successful polyglots, who was not self-taught? Richard Burton, Mezzofanti, Kato
Lomb, Heinrich Schliemann, or even Arguelles and Luca Lampariello of this message board all largely taught
themselves.

I think the track record of such individuals speaks far louder than one Camille Chevalier-Karfis who is trying to
drum up business for her website.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 81
27 June 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
The group of people known as "the most successful polyglots" is a pretty small set. I'm not sure their success is necessarily relevant for the average language learner. We could instead look to successful 2nd language communicators for a good idea of how to learn another language. I'd say probably most of that set are people who learned in school. But that's not really fair either, because many more people are taught a language in school than take up self-study.

But in either situation, classroom or self-study, I'd say the primary difference between success and failure is motivation. A classroom teacher might help with motivation, but a rubbish classroom experience may also be demotivating. At the end of the day, it is probably the student's own interest in learning that makes the difference.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 6053 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 15 of 81
27 June 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
It makes eminently more sense to emulate successful polyglots than mediocre polyglots or those who've learned
only one additional language well. Language learning is a trial-and-error process in which the most successful ones
experiment and refine methods. For successful polyglots, this process tends to occur after their first foreign
language.
1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 16 of 81
27 June 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
magictom123 wrote:
we proceeded to talk entirely in English about

Wow. I also would have run and run fast in the opposite direction if I came across such a class. I can see how these classes might be appealing to some casual learners out there because they can continue to stay in the "kiddie pool" and learn a few things in dribs and drabs. But yeah, there is no chance that people in such classes will progress very far.

Here in the US with most people growing up monolingual, I suspect that there is an entrenched performance anxiety as far as trying to speak another language. So my feeling is that language teachers here need to challenge the students to communicate in the target language as much as possible. I think that it is an important breakthrough when a student can get beyond his/her own self pride and accept the fact that his pronunciation sucks, that he is often at a loss for words, and that he frequently uses the wrong words. Putting it out there and being willing to make a fool of oneself ends up being very conducive to the learning process.

Edited by tibbles on 27 June 2011 at 8:33pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version