jean-luc
France
Joined 4895 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 49 of 81
13 September 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I agree with s_allard, nothing beat a real person in front of you when it comes to learn something. Of course there is limits (price, flexibility and differential progress between learners), and you still have to work by yourself.

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 50 of 81
13 September 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Volte wrote:

Tutoring can be extremely valuable - but most tutoring isn't.

Edit: also, the amount of tutors who are willing to simply repeat sounds, words, and phrases enough times for many types of phonetics work seem to be vanishingly small...

I guess Volte and I don't agree on what a tutor, a private instructor or a language coach can be. My main disagreement is with the blanket statement, "Tutoring can be extremely valuable - but most tutoring isn't."? My experience is totally the opposite. But I'm not going to argue. I've already stated why I like working with a private instructor. If you find that a book and a CD give you better results than working with a native speaker, then that's best for you.

I suspect we agree on what tutoring can be. Sprachprofi brought me from never having studied Latin to joining her course reading original literature, in about 3 days. We covered all the grammar taught in about 2.5 years in German schools. We used her custom material, which she uses for her students, for this. (My vocabulary was still quite weak after three days, obviously, but her reading course contained a lot of vocabulary glosses).

Aside from that, at this stage of my life, I'd take Assimil over any other tutor I've had. I think we merely disagree on the frequency of good tutoring, and our thresholds for that.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 51 of 81
13 September 2011 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Aside from that, at this stage of my life, I'd take Assimil over any other tutor I've had. I think we merely disagree on the frequency of good tutoring, and our thresholds for that.

Might you take Assimil AND a tutor? Do you feel you could benefit from having a tutor who knew Assimil and could help you make the most of that material?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 52 of 81
13 September 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Has anyone ever taught a class using a self-study method, and used classroom
time to supplement and solidify that knowledge? It seems like that would work, but I've
never heard of this done...

A lot of teachers use Khan Academy like that, but that's for the empirical sciences,
not languages. I do offer 1-on-1 tutoring that is basically supporting people in their
chosen self-study courses.

Volte wrote:
I suspect we agree on what tutoring can be. Sprachprofi brought me from
never having studied Latin to joining her course reading original literature, in about
3 days. We covered all the grammar taught in about 2.5 years in German schools. We used
her custom material, which she uses for her students, for this. (My vocabulary was
still quite weak after three days, obviously, but her reading course contained a lot of
vocabulary glosses).

We covered all Latin grammar except for rare items like Conjunctive Future Perfect or
the like. However, it is not fair to chalk her amazing progress up to my tutoring
skills; Volte is just extremely quick of understanding, soaks up knowledge like a
sponge and needs very little recovery time between lessons.

Quote:
Aside from that, at this stage of my life, I'd take Assimil over any other tutor
I've had. I think we merely disagree on the frequency of good tutoring, and our
thresholds for that.

I am unlike a lot of forum members because I can say that I had good classroom
experiences and very good tutoring experiences; it's just a matter of knowing what you
need and finding a tutor who is flexible enough to teach you that way. I work best with
a mixture of self-study and tutoring - neither one nor the other work well by
themselves for me. Though I have achieved decent results with Assimil Swahili and Anki,
I believe they would have been better (and faster in coming) with a tutor.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 53 of 81
13 September 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

Volte wrote:
I suspect we agree on what tutoring can be. Sprachprofi brought me from
never having studied Latin to joining her course reading original literature, in about
3 days. We covered all the grammar taught in about 2.5 years in German schools. We used
her custom material, which she uses for her students, for this. (My vocabulary was
still quite weak after three days, obviously, but her reading course contained a lot of
vocabulary glosses).

We covered all Latin grammar except for rare items like Conjunctive Future Perfect or
the like. However, it is not fair to chalk her amazing progress up to my tutoring
skills; Volte is just extremely quick of understanding, soaks up knowledge like a
sponge and needs very little recovery time between lessons.

Thank you, Sprachprofi. Nonetheless, I have some idea of what I can and can't do. I could not have done that on my own, even with your materials, nor with most teachers or tutors I've met.

I find most tutors and teachers frustrating; the pace is usually too slow, and when it's not, I often have trouble getting support for repeating or deepening parts of what we're covering that haven't sunk in yet.

Sprachprofi is an amazing tutor: she knows how to design materials, does so, uses and refines them, and is able and willing to adapt to her students' needs, while intelligently answering questions, checking for understanding and memorization on the fly, and responding accordingly. I've never met anyone else that tutors this way, though I've heard of intensive courses that sound extremely good.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 54 of 81
13 September 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Volte wrote:

Might you take Assimil AND a tutor? Do you feel you could benefit from having a tutor who knew Assimil and could help you make the most of that material?

I could, but I'd probably be very frustrated by the tutor.

I do certainly see the value of interacting with people that know the language: having at least two friends who speak it, at least one of whom is a language geek, is something I value highly, especially when they're willing to provide corrections and answer questions. Formal tutoring, though, I tend to passionately hate, with rare exceptions.

Edited by Volte on 13 September 2011 at 5:11pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5365 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 55 of 81
13 September 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Part of the issue with the use of private instructors, tutors, coaches or buddies seems to be what is the best way to work with them. Actually, that would be a good thread to begin. Suffice it to say that as the client, you have to be in charge. You must tell the tutor what you need and how you want to learn. If things are going to slowly, then you speed up the pace. If the drills are boring, change the drills. The tutor is a resource person and should do want you the client want, not the other way around.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 81
13 September 2011 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
The closest thing I have had to a tutor was during my study years when a native Romanian teacher suddenly appeared at my institute (I was studying French at the time). Together with four others I followed a course with 2 hours each week. However within a year I was alone, and the teacher returned back home - hopefully not because of me. Instead we got another native teacher, and I had one-to-one conversation classes with him for two years.

We decided (or rather I decided) that we should speak Romanian and Romanian only, and I did so even when I met him in a corridor between classes. We mostly spoke about literature, but also in some cases about non fiction. During the first year with teacher no. 1 I learnt the grammar (from a grammar written by the Swede Alf Lombard), and in that period we spoke partly English, parly Romanian. However after one year I didn't need a teacher for that and then the important thing was to train extensive reading, listening and speaking. Plus I used him for testing out constructions I read about in my grammar.

Language learning in a class room setting with other pupils was never effective - I only learn from things I can trust, and my fellow classmates didn't really live up to that. I did learn some grammar though, and of course having to make correct translations was also a spur to learn more. But nowadays I can learn grammar without a teacher, and the thing I should do more often would be to listen to comprehensible speech.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version