France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3937 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 9 of 63
26 November 2014 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
If I feel satisfied with how my French is progressing, I am giving myself permission to play with Italian during 2015 without any particular short-term goals other than to have fun in a relaxed yet educational way.

As for French, I am not giving myself a specific goal to achieve by the end of 2015. My overall goal is to be able to work with relative ease in French. The tools of my trade being words, that means resembling an educated native at least in writing.

When it comes to Breton, my main goal is to continue moving slowly towards comfortable fluency through constant media input, and to find an activity or group that lets me get out of the house and speak Breton on a regular basis. I don't want to give myself a much more specific goal than that or I will probably allow it to overshadow the not so glamorous and much less fun goal of fine-tuning my French.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4092 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 63
26 November 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Just going to continue to tie my language studies to the whims of my film studies. Hopefully, that results in adding at least 1 language to my 'speaks' section and a bunch more to my 'studies' section.

Edited by YnEoS on 26 November 2014 at 6:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4740 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 11 of 63
26 November 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Just found out the Polyglot Conference is in NYC in October 2015! Per that point of
inspiration, I might go crazy and aim for B1 in a bunch of new languages.

Main goals this year are to start on Turkish and Portuguese, with Portuguese being
largely passive given Spanish fluency. Also want to cement my French and take a class or
two at the Alliance Française. Will attempt to reawaken Croatian and Arabic.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4474 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 12 of 63
26 November 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I need to work on my listening for Italian. I'm going to try to watch a few movies and differentiate between "standard" Italian and dialectal vocabulary. I feel somewhat comfortable in Tuscan and Roman at the moment.

German is always hard to say. It's the only language that I keep restarting over and over again. I like it enough to keep trying to learn it, but I'm also disinterested enough as to keep leaving it. Eventually I'd like to be able to read my first novel in it, but I can't say when that will happen.

Other than that, I might be joining the Asian language hype train and try to undertake Japanese and Mandarin. I've recently developed an affinity for Japanese literature and film. I may also learn Brazilian Portuguese to fill in the last gap of the major languages of the Americas.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5004 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 63
26 November 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I wa thinking about plans as actions, not as goals. So these are mine:

- I want to keep making languages an intense part of my daily life, but in a more relaxed way. Maybe start one more language and resume another one just to keep the motivation going, but what I really wanr to do is figure out ways to make noticeable progress at the several languages I'm stuck at. I want to stop postponing the use of more intense and active techniques for learning my languages and do the passive listening or reading with more focused attention.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4682 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 14 of 63
26 November 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Deepen my knowledge of Russian, Japanese, and Irish and probably toy around with some other languages. In other words, the same goals as last year!

PS: This was my 2000th post on the forum! Yay me! ;)

Edited by Josquin on 26 November 2014 at 9:58pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 5027 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 15 of 63
27 November 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
I might start the year with a few months of Japanese to see where I would stand if I were to visit there.

Russian must surely be continued, but at a lower intensity than this year. Perhaps I can consolidate my level with some tutoring and quality input.

A new (hopefully easy) language to kick-start in the summer might be Swedish or Portuguese. (So why have I been buying Dutch materials...?)

Finally, I want to regularly write a multilingual log to keep the various European languages ticking over (FR, DE, ES, IT).

In brief, I want to kick a lot of ass and feel like a Proper Polyglot, for a change!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5899 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 16 of 63
27 November 2014 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
In the beginning of 2015, my Italian classes will come to an end. Since I'm feeling very comfortable with my level, I'll just ("just") read and see films. I've got my Super Challenge to fill, after all.

I'll have a bit of time in my hands, which I intend to use by going back to Arabic. I've got a few materials, as well as a lot of rust to get rid of.

Sanskrit will be my big bet for 2015. Given the complexity of the language, I don't want to be a beginner for another year. It's time for bigger strides.

I don't plan on starting a new language, but I'd like to participate in Chung's Turkic Challenge, even if it would be a symbolic effort. I've already traveled extensively across Asia and the Silk Road has always fascinated me.

However, I'm sure that the combo Arabic / Sanskrit / Turkic language would be too difficult at this point, so maybe I'll just make a smaller effort than usual for the time being (to join the caravan, so to speak).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version