Joined 6839 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 346
09 March 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
laiwai wrote:
Hencke: Kubelek was talking about that Mende language of Sierra-Leone, not Swedish or Finnish.

Thanks, that does make more sense. I was wondering what language he actually meant, but as his post was the next one after one about Finnish it looked like he was answering that one.

And my knowledge of Mende is too restricted as yet, I hadn't heard about it before it was mentioned here, that I'd better not say anything about that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Pristine
United States
Joined 6765 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 346
24 March 2006 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
The following is a list of languages--in no particular order--that I would want to achieve advanced fluency:
  1. Spanish
  2. French
  3. German
  4. Russian
  5. Japanese
  6. Chinese
  7. Hindi
  8. Arabic
I am just an avid lover of the diversity in the world and the different cultures that exist. I would love to just travel the whole world one day, engaging with other people and enjoying the world we live in. I'd like to note that I would not mind adding Persian, Thai, Vietnamese, or Urdu to the list. And for the heck of it, add Portuguese and Italian since they are both Romance languages. Maybe even add my native tongue of Filipino to the list; yes, I have forgotten my mother tongue ever since my immigration to the U.S. at six years old!

If anyone is wondering why I am so interested in learning so much languages, several experiences in the past year have really captured my interest in foreign languages. In addition, this language acquisition would immensely compliment my intended major and job career.

easyboy82
Pentaglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6775 days ago

72 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek

Message 75 of 346
29 March 2006 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
For a young European i'd suggest the most spoken of the U.E languages:

1 - German
2 - Italian
3 - French
4 - English
5 - Russian (it's not the official language of any of the U.E states but it is widely spoken in the three baltic republics and still an important secon dlanguage in the other eastern european countries: 5% of the U.E population speaks it,official U.E data )
6 - Spanish

and the last four?

Well in Europe Polish has more native speakers than Spanish
Then i'd choose Portuguese and Greek
And maybe a Northern language (Swedish for instance) to have a complete knowledge of different linguistic areas

Anoter very good idea could be adding to the most popular (English,French;Italian;Spanish,German;Russian) the languages of the countries that border yours : for instance an Italian would add to French and German Slovenian and Croatian and if he is very passionate,Maltese.

Another choose could be focusing on a linguistic group:i'd like very much to master all the 5 most important languages of the romance group,and at least some Occitan and Catalan.
Why not Sardinian?Well I noticed Sardinian people are not so interested in italian-speakers learning and understand their own traditional language :)))

knewman
Groupie
China
Joined 6753 days ago

44 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English

Message 76 of 346
05 April 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
english,
chinese
french
German
japanese
Spanish
russian
Portuguese
polish
korean

Edited by knewman on 07 April 2006 at 8:06am

Clintaroo
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6816 days ago

189 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Tagalog, Indonesian

Message 77 of 346
05 April 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Well, maybe not somebody else, but for me...

English (mother tongue)
Italian
Japanese
Mandarin Chinese
Korean
Vietnamese
Spanish
Russian
Arabic
Minority SEA language (Khmer, Lao etc) or Bahasa Indonesian

Maybe some of those aren't the most practical languages, but my interests lay in the Asia-pacific region. Could you imagine going to little countries like Laos or Cambodia and being able to speak the language with (probably startled) locals... It would enrich the experience ten-fold and I'm sure you would get a lot of attention haha!

Edited by Clintaroo on 05 April 2006 at 4:35pm

knewman
Groupie
China
Joined 6753 days ago

44 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English

Message 78 of 346
07 April 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
English: the biggest economy, the scientific and technology language, with the largeset population of internet.

Chinese: the biggest population as native language, the second population of internet, and the second large scientific and technology language could be searched by googe scholar.

French: is the lingua franca of last centrury, speaked by many countries.

German: lingua franca in urope unions, and the big economy, developed science and technology

Japanese, the second biggest economy of the world after USA,the scienc and technology.

Spanish, is the second language in american, a up and coming language.

Russian, the important language 30 years ago.

Portuguese, up and coming language.

Italian, language easy to learn.

Korean, the economy, up and coming language.

Edited by knewman on 07 April 2006 at 8:12am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6854 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 346
07 April 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Funny - close to identical replies. :) It would be interesting to see a statistical chart similar to the tables listed HERE - to see if the ten major languages are as important for people regardless of location and native language.

For instance, which "Target Languages by Location"-list is most similar to the general top 10...

Topsiderunner
Diglot
United States
Joined 6863 days ago

215 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Arabic (Written)

Message 80 of 346
07 April 2006 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Well, if you are looking for a language that's spoken by a large number of
people, 10 languages covers quite a bit of ground. Of the most spoken
languages in the world, the only ones that are really missing from a
majority of these lists are those of the Indian subcontinent and
surrounding South Asia (Hindi/Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi...). This is probably
because they are only useful in their very concentrated geographic areas.   

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version