Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7133 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 41 of 346
14 November 2005 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Allow me to post again, but this time with much much more thought about my response. These are the languages I wish to learn, in order.

1. Russian - I'm already learning it. It's an awesome language
2. Italian - I love the sound of this language, and after Russian, it will hopefuly seem like a walk in the park
3. Polish - Back to a slavic language. I love the orthography of Polish, and there seems to be a great deal of resources in Polish
4. French - And back to a Romance language. Mostly for the Assimil series, and the great deal of French speakers throughout the world. I'm not too fond of its sound, but I'm sure if I decided to learn it, it would grow on me.
5. Japanese - An introduction into Asian languages. Also provides access to a highly technologically advanced country.
6. Hungarian - I need to learn an agglutinative language. Hungarian has an awesome orthography again, and vowel harmony is just cool.
7. Chinese - With Japanese under my belt, I'll have some basic knowledge of the characters. I also see China as an emerging economic power, so knowing it should seem as a great help.
8. Swedish - Simply an awesome language, and it would be an introduction into Scandanavian languages.
9. Hindi - An Indic language whith a neat script. Also provides a passive knowledge in Urdu.
10. Welsh - And a Celtic language. I love the orthography of Welsh again, and it has a nice sound. Welsh needs all the speakers it can get, seeing in how it is on the verge of extincion.

And that's my plan!

Edited by Darobat on 14 November 2005 at 11:41am

1 person has voted this message useful

hydrohphoenix
Diglot
United States
Joined 6911 days ago

16 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 42 of 346
14 November 2005 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Taking usefulness into account, the ten languages I would recommend to an aspiring decaglot would be:

(English as mother tongue)
1. Spanish
2. French
3. Latin
4. German
5. Russian
6. Ancient Greek
7. Arabic
8. Hindustani
9. Bengali
10.Mandarin

1204grandine
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 7132 days ago

88 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Catalan
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Greek

Message 43 of 346
17 November 2005 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
I recommend:

1.English
2.Spanish
3.French
4.Italian
5.Arabic
6.Greek
7.Latin
8.Sanskrit
9.Russian
10.Hebrew

Edited by 1204grandine on 17 November 2005 at 3:15am

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6986 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 44 of 346
27 January 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
my choices:

mandarin (business and trade)
russian (chic factor)
hindustani (hindi/urdu) (the history!)
indonesian (the women!)
malay (finance)
french (the butter!)
arabic (the desert!)
croatian (the beaches!)
bengali (the jungle!)
German (the beer!!)

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6835 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 45 of 346
28 January 2006 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Here are my ten...

+ Dutch - Because I need to learn it (will be moving to the Netherlands in a few months)
+ Georgian - Fascinating from a linguistic point of view and love its alphabet
+ Armenian - Same as above
+ Galician - Love the sound of this language and not too difficult to learn if you already know Spanish
+ Basque - Long history, interesting from linguistic point of view and have had an interest in the Basque culture for quite some time
+ Malay - Grammar is apparently fairly easy and love the way it sounds
+ Farsi (Persian) - Fascinating culture and history behind it and widely spoken in Middle East and Central Asia (albeit in variant forms)
+ Turkish - Possible EU membership in future and language is gateway to learning other Turkic languages
+ Croatian - Good starting point for learning Slavic languages (alternative to Russian or Polish)
+ Romanian - Romance language with a slight Slavic twist

nights2200
United States
Joined 6812 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 47 of 346
05 February 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I want to learn
1.     Armenian
2.     Georgian
3.     Russian-all ready taking
4.     Hindi
5.     Arabic
6.     Greek- all ready taking
7.     Persian
8.     French
9.     Czech
Japanese-I’ve done this before and didn’t really like it!

nox
Diglot
Groupie
Croatia
Joined 6806 days ago

62 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 48 of 346
17 February 2006 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
My ten favorites: (croatian as a mother tongue)

1. English - well, i understand most of it, but i don't think i have mastered it!
2. Spanish - working on it, but only at school, not very succesful, one of the most boring classes (I'll go through pimsleur's course when I get time)
3. Latin - I just 'want' to know some basics, simply as an intorducion to gramar terms and forms (intorducion in romance languages)
4. Russian - I love the sound, and it shouldn't be very hard to master it, considering I'm native Croatian.
5. Portuguese - so I could understand the enteire Latin America :), except the ancient natives.
6. German - Only because of the numerous tourists who come over summers to my 'town' (very small place)
7. French - I don't have a specific opinion about this, but I'd like to visit France a few times
8. Czech or Polish - slavic background
9. Japanese - so I wouln't know only Indo-European languages
10. Arabic - arabic writing system is quite a challenge! Who wouln't like to TRY?

--------
11. Esperanto - the last but not the last ont the 'to do' list. I love Esperanto because of it's original idea, I am really sorry I'm writing now this in English, a language with it's native speakers, whish doesn't make us all eaqual. (another subject..)

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version