Germany
Joined 6903 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 65 of 346
08 March 2006 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
@Kubelek:
As far as I know you have to pass a test that proves your skills in Finnish language before they will allow you to emigrate there ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6797 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 66 of 346
08 March 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
that's disappointing :/ Maybe I'll try the Swedish part first, then ;)

I remember the interpreter in Amistad saying that there's no "should" in this language - you either do something or you don't. That's an interesting concept, isn't it?

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6903 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 67 of 346
09 March 2006 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
I donīt know about the laws in Sweden, but if it is true what you say about this "concept", I think itīs oafish.

on-topic:
If I should advice a friend which language to learn I would give him the link to this site at first. Maybe he should know as much 'facts' as possible before he decides, which language he wants to learn, himself.
When he has seen this site and canīt decide he can still ask me again...

Edited by Zorndyke on 09 March 2006 at 6:22am

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6811 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Portuguese

Message 68 of 346
09 March 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
I think the idea that you need to pass a test in finnish to move to Finland should be taken with a pinch of salt. Finland (and also Sweden) is a EU-member and there are strict laws about freedom of movement between all member states. Don't give up your dream without trying...

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6839 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 346
09 March 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Zorndyke wrote:
@Kubelek: As far as I know you have to pass a test that proves your skills in Finnish language before they will allow you to emigrate there ;-)

Not sure what rules actually apply, but since Swedish is an official language in Finland too, a similar test in Swedish should in principle be just as valid for the same purposes.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6839 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 346
09 March 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Kubelek wrote:
I remember the interpreter in Amistad saying that there's no "should" in this language - you either do something or you don't. That's an interesting concept, isn't it?

I'm not sure what the interpreter may have been thinking of there, but there is definitely no difficulty in expressing "should" in Swedish in any shape or form.
EDIT: And in case you meant Finnish, it is the same thing there.

Edited by Hencke on 09 March 2006 at 10:02am

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6811 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 71 of 346
09 March 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Here is my very personal top ten list of languages I would like to learn some day (including the languages I have already started with):

1. Swedish - Mother tongue.
2. English - Essential first foreign language.
3. German - Was taught in school. Now that I look back on it, I can't really say it has been useful at all.
4. Russian - I love travelling in the former USSR. Knowing the language will make it a lot easier.
5. Portuguese - My favourite romance language (alongside Romanian), also perhaps somewhat useful in the future. I like the Brazilian "Baile Funk" music and understanding those lyrics about life in the favela should be interesting.
6. Arabic - The language behind the only large religion that is still expanding. Interesting culture, history and future that I would like to know more about.
7. Finnish - I don't even need to leave Sweden to find lots of native speakers of this language.
8. Spanish - Perhaps a more obvious choice for a first romance language. Should be quite easy with Portuguese already down.
9. Serbo-Croatian - I would study this language mostly because of the interesting "language politics" in the region. To see what all the fuzz is about, so to say.
10. Turkish - I see this as a gateway to other languages in the same family. I would like to do a "grand tour" of Central Asia in the future and Turkey seems like a good starting point, both travel- and language-wise.

I deliberately left out some obvious choices, like french, italian and all east- and southasian languages, because they don't interest me that much.

laiwai
Diglot
Groupie
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6787 days ago

66 posts - 71 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 72 of 346
09 March 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Hencke: Kubelek was talking about that Mende language of Sierra-Leone, not Swedish or Finnish.

This discussion contains 346 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version