Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6156 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 9 of 66
08 March 2008 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Mongolian seems to work just fine with cyrillic.
1 person has voted this message useful

Taiga
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 6150 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 10 of 66
08 March 2008 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
DerDrache wrote:
I have been attempting to learn some Polish lately. I'm still focusing mostly on Russian, but I wanted to pick up some survival Polish too at some point. If you don't know, Polish uses a modificed version of Latin script, as opposed to Cyrillic. I find that it's extremely difficult to become accustomed to written Polish, and that the Cyrillic alphabet suits Slavic languages better.

I'm not really complaining about Polish people...I'm sure their written system suits them fine. But, I'm curious if you think certain alphabet systems are more suited to distinct languages. Could English function just as well if it used Cyrillic? Could Russian function well in Latin script? So far...I'd say no. If you see an English word written in Cyrillic, you know what it's supposed to be, but there's still a pronunciation gap that the alphabet doesn't encompass.

Hypothetically, do you think Polish (and other Slavic languages that use Latin script) would be better off with Cyrillic writing?

Actually, I created a modified Cyrillic alphabet for English language xD when I was bored.

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6458 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 11 of 66
15 March 2008 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Compared to other writing scripts, I would say that Cyrillic is quite easy. Japanese, for instance has 2 alphabets and several thousand Chinese characters that have multiple pronounciations. And with Arabic, its almost impossible to guess the correct sound for each word unless you already know the grammar, because it doesn't have vowels.

If English and some of the Slavic languages seem difficult for spelling, it's because of the inconsistent spelling rules and not the script.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6084 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 12 of 66
15 March 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Serbian cyrillic script uses one letter per sound, which is not the case with Serbian latin alphabet. Thus is the more efficient.

Examples:

љ - lj
њ - nj
џ - dž

technically, lj, nj and đž are one letter.
so your argument fails. it doesn't make cyrillic any more efficient.

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5865 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 13 of 66
03 June 2008 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
/me agrees with Bushwick. These three sounds are still considered one letter, quite like the 'ij' (or perhaps ÿ) in Dutch during the last few years.

I have read that the Croats wanted to abolish the fact that lj, nj and dž are considered one letter each, but this would give some problems, as 'lj' and 'lj' (you read it right) can be pronounced differently.

Example: the word 'seljak' (peasant) contains lj as two different letters and is pronounced 'sel-jak' (due to historical linguistic reasons), whereas 'ljuba' contains 'lj' as one letter and is pronounced as a palatised 'l'. This difference is obvious in cyrillic as seljak would be spelled with seperate cyrillic letters for 'l' and 'j', though ljuba would be spelled using the љ-letter.

Personally I prefer reading Serbian using the Latin script (especially hand-written texts and when using italics), just because it's a lot more friendly to my untrained eye.

EDIT: In Croatia you will also find vertically written signs saying 'ljekarna' (pharmacy) written:

LJ
E
K
A
R
N
A

Edited by Eduard on 03 June 2008 at 11:56am

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5874 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 14 of 66
03 June 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
skeeterses wrote:
Compared to other writing scripts, I would say that Cyrillic is quite easy. Japanese, for instance has 2 alphabets and several thousand Chinese characters that have multiple pronounciations. And with Arabic, its almost impossible to guess the correct sound for each word unless you already know the grammar, because it doesn't have vowels.

No wonder it is easy, Cyrillic and Latin scripts are really close relatives. The Cyrillic alphabet first appears at the beginning of the 10th century (AC) and is based on Greek letters.

The original script was known as Glagolitsa and though it looks extremely beautiful (personal opinion) it is also very cumbersome and difficult to produce. Throughout the centuries the letters were brought closer to their Latin counterparts. Furthermore, the Latin alphabet also originates in Greek, though it is created much earlier ( 7th century BC or something ).

Julie wrote:
Cyrillic script is almost perfect for Russian because it was created for this language.

Is that a fact? :) I am afraid there is a lot of controversy going on about the origins of the Cyrillic alphabet. Take a look at this except from wikipedia:

wikipedia wrote:
Although it is widely accepted that the Glagolitic alphabet was invented by Saints Cyril and Methodius, the origins of the early Cyrillic alphabet are still a source of much controversy. It has been attributed to Saint Clement of Ohrid, disciple of Saint Cyril and Saint Methodius. Recent studies have suggested that the Cyrillic alphabet was more likely developed at the Preslav Literary School in northeastern Bulgaria.

There are also other theories regarding the origins of the Cyrillic alphabet, namely that the alphabet was created by Saint Cyril and Saint Methodius themselves, or that it preceded the Glagolitic alphabet, representing a "transitional" stage between Greek and Glagolitic cursive, but these have been disproved.

By the way, may I mention that the top university in Bulgaria is named "St. Clement of Ohrid". Guess why... :)

Edited by Sennin on 03 June 2008 at 1:12pm

Russianbear
Triglot
United States
Joined 6615 days ago

358 posts - 422 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, Ukrainian
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 66
03 June 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
bushwick wrote:

technically, lj, nj and đž are one letter.
so your argument fails. it doesn't make cyrillic any more efficient.
I guess it means the script is not really Latin, since there are no letters lj, nj and đž in Latin script.

I think Cyrillic is probably better than Latin simply because there are more symbols. But then again, scripts with even more symbols are superior to both.

Инглыш риттн ын Сериллык вуд рак зъэ моуст.

Edited by Russianbear on 03 June 2008 at 2:43pm

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5865 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 16 of 66
03 June 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Indeed, the scripts are closely related to each other and Greek, so the 'big difference' is fairly superficial. Once you get used to Cyrillic, it's not that hard to deal with. Sometimes I use Cyrillic (or frankly a heavily distorted version of it) for writing down things I don't want others to be able to read easily.

I have also seen some Macedonian (FYROM) webpages using the Latin script, something which I suspect to be not a big transition because of most Macedonians' knowledge of Serbian and its use of the Latin script. And of course ASCII-coding problems of the past (and present) have a saying in this.

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version