Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5700 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 25 of 84
24 April 2009 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
I stumbled across this thread, and thought that it was very interesting that people are using the book translated
into so many languages to learn languages. Being Jewish, I would refrain from doing so myself, but it wouldn't hurt
to read the part of the bible that is also in the Tanakh, as Jewish texts are not as widely available and translated into
as many languages. The best I can get is a Torah in Arabic (It is a Yemenite Jewish text so it is not in my interest of
Arabic, as it is written in either MSA or Classical, I cannot tell). Regardless whether you are Jewish, Christian,
Muslim, atheist, Hindu, Buddhist, or any other religion, the bible is a great resource because it is translated into so
many languages, and it is probably the most carefully translated texts due to the value of its word to its people. I
would not feel guilty with using it to study my languages if I used the section that is part of the Hebrew bible (I am
sorry, I do not know how to refer it as).

I think the section you're referring to is the first 5 books of the Old Testament, which is the same as the Torah if I remember rightly -although I'm sure someone more well versed in these matters will correct me if I'm wrong. Out of interest, is it against your religion to merely have a read of the new testament? (I'm not evangelising at all, or being antagonistic -as I stated earlier I'm an atheist- but I am genuinely interested in religious beliefs and customs)

madalieninvader wrote:
I'm agnostic leaning towards atheism but have extensive knowledge of Christianity
being raised that way. I've even read a lot if not all of the Bible and can't figure
out what the hell that last post was about.
Someone inform me?

Me neither, but I'm pretty sure that person was having a laugh! Could it be Aya?

On the subject of translations, is it possible to get an edition in a target language that has been directly translated (i.e. translated only once) from an English version? That would be the most useful resource for making parallel texts for an English speaker.

1 person has voted this message useful

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 28 of 84
24 April 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Maximus, unless you want to be expelled from this forum, I suggest you moderate your language, whatever the provocation. Think before you press the send button. I think many of us can recognise the surreal and provocative sense of "humour" of the much-banned person who probably sent that post. Don't take it seriously. I wonder if you have the same attitude to unsaved Jewish and Muslim members of this forum.

To get back to the subject of this thread, there are several other Bible websites around. www.audioscriptures.org have audio for both Old and New Testaments in a variety of languages.
www.wordproject.org have parallel versions in columns for two languages simultaneously for eg Spanish/English or Russian/English and even English/Chinese/Pinyin. The NT has audio as well, but the OT only has audio in English.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 32 of 84
24 April 2009 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Wish I could find a Mandarin audio which uses a modern language version ....sigh. All the Mandarin audios I've come across are the Union Version. While that version is preferred by many, that won’t work for my purposes.

Edited by Snowflake on 24 April 2009 at 5:39pm

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version