84 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 10 11 Next >>
jbbar
Belgium
Joined 5735 days ago

192 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 41 of 84
24 April 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
By the way, I could imagine that other religious texts like the Quran might be useful as well for language learning. There are quite a lot of translations in other languages around for this text. Has anyone used it for language learning purposes? Or any other religious texts?

jbbar
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 84
25 April 2009 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
jbbar wrote:
By the way, I could imagine that other religious texts like the Quran might be useful as well for language learning. There are quite a lot of translations in other languages around for this text. Has anyone used it for language learning purposes? Or any other religious texts?

jbbar

I haven't.

If I were to use a religious text for language learning, there are a few languages that have quite specific texts, such as Sanskrit and Arabic, which would be useful to the process.

However, for sheer number of translations (especially into languages with very few speakers), nothing rivals the Bible. There are enough people who feel driven to try to translate it into every language on Earth, that there are at least partial translations into thousands of languages and dialects. The other religions with similar numbers of speakers have different attitudes towards translating their sacred texts.

So, if I ever decide I really, really want to get a feel for a dialect of Sudanese, I might well do it via the Bible.

Britomartis
Groupie
United States
Joined 5744 days ago

67 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 43 of 84
25 April 2009 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Yes, I'm a Christian too.
My former Spanish tutor had a side by side Spanish-English Bible that we did use a little bit, but I don't own one myself.
Because Christianity is so widespread, there are many texts and websites in multiple languages. I was pretty pleased to find out that one such website had variations in many languages; I read the Spanish version from time to time now. Most of the articles appear to be same, but I haven't yet made sure of this. If anyone is interested, this is the link: http://www.everystudent.com/menus/intl.html

jbbar
Belgium
Joined 5735 days ago

192 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 44 of 84
25 April 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
jbbar wrote:

jbbar

I haven't.

If I were to use a religious text for language learning, there are a few languages that have quite specific texts, such as Sanskrit and Arabic, which would be useful to the process.

However, for sheer number of translations (especially into languages with very few speakers), nothing rivals the Bible. There are enough people who feel driven to try to translate it into every language on Earth, that there are at least partial translations into thousands of languages and dialects. The other religions with similar numbers of speakers have different attitudes towards translating their sacred texts.

So, if I ever decide I really, really want to get a feel for a dialect of Sudanese, I might well do it via the Bible.

Yes, the Bible must be the most translated book on the face of the earth. Here's a project which, among other things, maps the availability of a Bible translation for virtually any ethnic group you can think of.

Slightly off-topic, but if any of you've always dreamed of hearing exotic languages like Zapotec dialects, Sudanese Arabic or Sindhi, the website of the Jesus Film project site has them all! :)

jbbar

Edited by jbbar on 25 April 2009 at 2:08pm

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6600 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 45 of 84
25 April 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
zocurtis wrote:
Tell that to Prof. Arguelles, a very gifted Polyglot here on this forum who has learn a vast number of languages effectively and who actively promotes the acquisition of foreign languages via courses that follow the exact same lessons in each language.

I find such methods incredibly boring. A good language course has texts that are adapted to the culture of the language, e.g. the Assimil series.

zocurtis wrote:
What we are looking for is effectiveness. You can learn about the culture all you want but if you can't interact with the language, then what's the point? You're a Pentaglot, I'm surprised that you don't know this. The Bible contains a vast amount of grammatical structures, vocabulary, and translations that can be pleasing to any learner. Plus it is a very enjoyable storyline. What more can a language learner want?

Again, I'd find it boring to reread the same text over and over again, so it wouldn't be effective for me. ANY text contains grammatical structures and vocabulary. I think it's preferable to work with original texts rather than translations, because they contain REAL language reflecting how people think and express themselves in that language.

icing_death
United States
Joined 5796 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 46 of 84
25 April 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I think that holy doctrines such as the Bible, Koran, Torah, etc in their original, untranslated forms would be
somewhat interesting to me. Many translations over many years have most likely caused big changes, so I'd rather
not read those. On the other hand, if I was one of those who reads one of these documents daily anyhow, it might
be an efficient use of my time to read a translation in my L2, rather than my L1.

But because I'm not even slightly religious, these docs don't interest me beyond other books. In fact, I suspect I'd
rather read a good novel. And re-reading the same book over and over, no matter how interesting, would get old
really fast for me.

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 6075 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 47 of 84
25 April 2009 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
jbbar wrote:

Yes, the Bible must be the most translated book on the face of the earth.
Here's a project which, among other things,
maps the availability of a Bible translation for virtually any ethnic group you can
think of.

Slightly off-topic, but if any of you've always dreamed of hearing exotic languages
like Zapotec dialects, Sudanese Arabic or Sindhi, the website of the
Jesus Film project
site has them all! :)

jbbar

Thanks a lot; Sindhi was actually a language I was looking for!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5946 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 48 of 84
26 April 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I tell thee most solemnly, that whatever thou thinkest of the content of the Bible, on a language level it is a perfect study of Translationese*, and not of any other language.

* Particulary within the catholic tradition, where everything for a while had to go via the Latin "Vulgate" Bible. Double translation...? Yuck.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version