William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 57 of 84
29 May 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Brian Moynahan's If God Spare My Life, a biography of English Bible translator William Tyndale, is not just a fascinating biography but covers in some detail Bible translation and the issues and risks involved.
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5773 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 58 of 84
29 May 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Well here is my answer:
Yes I am a Christian too!

But I couldn't say that I use the Bible for language studies.

Many of the most commonly used Bible translations are very difficult for new learners to understand becuase of the old fashioned language used. I mean such translations as King James and the translation most commonly used in German (Luther bible ?) plus the Swedish 1917 bible which uses old style grammar and words.

If any non-native English speaker would like to read the Bible in English I'd like to recommend a translation called "The New Living Translation". It's very true to the original and hundreds of man-years went into translating it perfectly from the oldest Hebrew and Greek original text. But it is still written in an accessible way and you'll have no trouble understanding what's being said.

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 6018 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 59 of 84
29 May 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Tupiniquim on 31 July 2009 at 11:26pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5782 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 60 of 84
29 May 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I was a pupil in a Catholic monastery grammar school and was educated as a Christian there. When I obtained my Abitur-diploma in 1980 my personal descision was to get rid of my religious faith and to become an atheist, which I still am. I find Bible language very traditional, it's not the modern living language, which I want to learn. Besides this I would find myself inconsequent, if I used Bible sources for my language learning. So there's no Bible language learning in my case.

Fasulye

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5773 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 61 of 84
29 May 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Tupiniquim wrote:
I can find the Swedish version also, Levande Bibeln, in the Bible Gateway website. But I cannot find this Living Translation for Danish or Norwegian.

Tupiniquim -- I have never heard of the Swedish biblt translation "Levande bibeln". I am certainly no Bible scholar, but there really aren't that many Swedish translations, and I think I know the ones that there are... (basically 2 current full versions only - the rest are revisions of the other two.) There was a big translation drive in the 1990s for a brand new version direct from Greek etc but I am not sure if that has been finished yet. Probably not.)

I'd be very surprised if the Swedish state church or any other organisation in Sweden had done a project like the "Living Translation" because it such a huge & expensive undertaking (requires large groups of scholars in old Hebrew and Greek + access to original documents). I think it's just chance that the two share the same name (in translation).

Can't do it now, but I will check that website later - it sounds very strange - I have no idea what version they could be using.

As for Norwegian and Danish online bibles: I am sure it will be available but again if Iversen or Lizzern who are from those countries don't see this and know it, I will help you to find one later.

Edited by cordelia0507 on 29 May 2009 at 8:17pm

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6553 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 62 of 84
31 May 2009 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Wow, 10 pages already.

Before I came back to America from Korea, I had been using the Korean Bible for learning Korean. It's a good tool for learning vocabulary and there's audio Bibles as well to help with the listening. But the Old Testament is much more difficult. Since coming home from America, I had been using more of the other sources like online Korean newspapers and easier Korean books.

As far as the Quran goes, its not my favorite choice for learning a foreign language unless the target language is Arabic or some Central Asian language like Urdu. I've read the Quran from cover to cover in English and that was enough for me. I'll probably try reading it in Korean once I get more fluent.

Caveben
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5600 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Romanian, Slovenian

Message 63 of 84
31 May 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
If I wanted to study archaic language and archaic beliefs then the bible would be one of my first stops.

As neither particularly interest me if I wanted to study comparatively across more than two languages I would generally prefer to take a widely translated book (one of the Harry Potter series perhaps) and study in that way. Not only would it be altogether more interesting for me but I would consider the literature to be of a much higher standard.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version