Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6229 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 65 of 84
04 June 2009 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I apologize if this is already been posted, I've skipped a few pages... Here is a pretty interesting site I just found:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Gen&c=1&t=NIV#top

Latin, Greek, Hebrew, and several English translations to choose from, passage by passage.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 84
04 June 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I have made a series of bilingual texts using the multilingual Bible machine at http://www.lexilogos.com/bible_multilingue.htm. The language may not be the one used at the supermarket, but it is not necessarily antiquated either, especially not if you stick to the more historically oriented books which also are the most interesting to read for a fundamentally areligious person like me. With the Icelandic version I have had the pleasant experience that it is actually fairly straightforward and easy, so I can read it almost without the help of a Danish translation. Instead I have made some couplings with other languages, including the Latin Vulgata. If I can't understand a word in one version I may understand it in the other and vice-versa. Besides I have made other bilingual versions for later use, using for instance Tagalog, Russian, Bulgarian, Croate, Koine and Dhimotiki Greek.

2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 67 of 84
04 June 2009 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I find I can read the Vulgate (Latin translation of Bible) with some success in spite of having only limited Latin. It is less complex Latin than the classical poets, and some familiarity with the Bible in English may also help.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5969 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 68 of 84
04 June 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have made a series of bilingual texts using the multilingual Bible machine at http://www.lexilogos.com/bible_multilingue.htm. The language may not be the one used at the supermarket, but it is not necessarily antiquated either, especially not if you stick to the more historically oriented books which also are the most interesting to read for a fundamentally areligious person like me.

I know this is a matter of personal taste, but could you share what parts of it you find the most readable and interesting? My exposure to biblical texts is rather limited, so I find it difficult to navigate through all the prophets and chapters. I would try to avoid the boring parts if I know where to look for the more interesting stuff.

I'm reading the King James bible in parallel with the most recent French version I can find (La Bible de Jérusalem, 1993) and another French version for comparison.

Edited by Sennin on 04 June 2009 at 6:06pm

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 6083 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 69 of 84
04 June 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Is there anything similar to Young's literal translation in other languages?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 84
04 June 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
I know this is a matter of personal taste, but could you share what parts of it you find the most readable and interesting? My exposure to biblical texts is rather limited, so I find it difficult to navigate through all the prophets and chapters. I would try to avoid the boring parts if I know where to look for the more interesting stuff.

I would suggest the Books of King number one from around Chapter 11, when Salomo is dead and the kings divide the kingdom and start worshipping Baal. The prophets most emphatically don't like that, which makes for some bloodshed and divine intervention throughout Kings 2. There are also some interesting sections in Mose 1 (Genesis) and 2 ( Exodus) and Judges, maybe also Samuel. Most of the prophets are pompous and boring, but try Job for an account of a man who is treated as a guinea pig by an malicious god. I respect the religious feelings of other people, but this part of the Bible looks like it has been written by a man that hates religion.

In the New testament I prefer the Apokalypse (Revelation), at least after the first couple of pages. The single most boring part of the Bible (in any language) are the Canticles.

The present collection unfortunately doesn't contain the apocryphal writings (Testament of Thomas & co.) which were purged from the Bible by the Synode in Nicaea some 1700 years ago. Anybody who wants to get a complete picture of the Bible should absolutely read those too.

Edited by Iversen on 04 June 2009 at 8:57pm

topaztrex
Triglot
Indonesia
Joined 6104 days ago

20 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Indonesian*, English

Message 71 of 84
19 May 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Where can I buy Old Testament and New Testament of the Holy Bible in their original,
untranslated languages?

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 6057 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 72 of 84
19 May 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
topaztrex wrote:
Where can I buy Old Testament and New Testament of the Holy Bible in their original,
untranslated languages?

It depends on what format you are looking for. I use this one:

http://www.mardel.com/the-interlinear-hebrew-greek-english-b ible-one-volume-edition-hardback.aspx

It is an Interlinear which means it looks like this in (Hebrew/Aramaic):

http://interlinearbible.org/genesis/1.htm

And like this in Greek:

http://interlinearbible.org/john/1.htm

and it has a nice literal English translation in the margin. The advantage of this one is that it is all in one volume--you can carry it with you to church. The disadvantage is that the print is a bit small--but still readable.

I greatly prefer the on-line version--I only use my print version in church.

Let me know if this is not what you are looking for as I am fairly well versed in the original language tools, both print and electronic.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version